You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-10 12:46:06

JnvSor

Feature request: Support hd_media in initrd build process

Apparently all you need to do is add hd-media to MEDIUM_SUPPORTED and bunsen can be run from multiboot USB sticks (At the oh so traumatizing cost of a 2 meg larger initrd)

No more repartitioning usb sticks (Yay)

(Alternatively, if anyone could tell me the process to build them myself I could just build my own hd-media version and use that instead)

#2 2016-06-10 17:01:38

cloverskull

Re: Feature request: Support hd_media in initrd build process

+1

This would be a cool feature and it could be a nice addition to my Swiss Army USB drive.

#3 2016-06-10 17:50:47

hhh
Meep!
Website

JnvSor wrote:

... add hd-media to MEDIUM_SUPPORTED and bunsen can be run from multiboot USB sticks

In live-build? Where is that configured?" It's not in /auto/config and it's not in any preseed configs.

#4 2016-06-10 20:52:21

JnvSor

I have no idea where it is - for some reason build instructions for distros are far harder to find than build instructions for individual packages. There are some debian docs here but they're slim pickings.

It seems to be a config option when building the disk with debian-cd but I'm not even sure how you'd go about doing that (Though someone must have, or we wouldn't have bunsen discs!)

4.4.1. config

For example, the definition for i386 images starts with config/i386.cfg which, besides the current kernel versions, defines the media supported with the line:

MEDIUM_SUPPORTED = cdrom cdrom-xen netboot netboot-xen hd-media

These media correspond to the main targets for i386 and are further defined in config/i386. The hd-media.cfg file in that directory contains, amongst others, the following lines:

FLAVOUR_SUPPORTED = "" gtk
EXTRATARGETS = build_hd-media_gtk

Th first line defines that the netboot image has two flavors: the default one (for the newt frontend), and a second one for the gtk frontend. The latter is further defined in the config/i386/hd-media/gtk.cfg file. The second line ensures that the gtk image will always be built together with the newt image.

The files in config are processed recursively to dynamically generate the build targets, so in this example you get a hd-media, a hd-media_gtk target and targets for the other media.

The structure of the config files can get quite complex and it can be hard to keep track of the exact role of the different variables set in them.

A bit more googling suggests something called "iso-hybrid" for live-build but I don't know what it does yet

Last edited by JnvSor (2016-06-10 21:03:42)

#5 2016-06-10 21:08:34

hhh
Meep!
Website

JnvSor wrote:

4.4.1. config

For example, the definition for i386 images starts with config/i386.cfg which, besides the current kernel versions, defines the media supported with the line:

MEDIUM_SUPPORTED = cdrom cdrom-xen netboot netboot-xen hd-media

Source...
https://d-i.alioth.debian.org/doc/internals/ch04.html

Customizing the Debian Installer is not something I can offer support for, I have avoided it at all cost (except for theming it and a little preseeding).

JnvSor wrote:

for some reason build instructions for distros are far harder to find than build instructions for individual packages

Quoted for Truth.

BunsenLabs offers Live media (superior to the Official and Unofficial Debian images, IMO) and those images are built using jessie's live-build.

There used to be online documentation of live-build, but that project is in transition and the original developer has removed those docs out of biterness and spite (I imagine, but it could just be a cost issue). Still, the manual is part of live-build or is available independantly...
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/live-manual-html

On a personal note, deciphering the pile of vague crappery that is the manual I just linked to was no easy task, one that both pvsage and johnraff were not looking forward to, iirc. That I ended up grabbing the bull by the horns during a week of unemployment and worked out how to build an image, plus solved a customization issue (theming the Debian Installer, actually) that had almost zero documentation, is remarkable (I am not a programmer nor an IT professional).

#6 2016-06-10 21:23:58

JnvSor

Still, the manual is part of live-build or is available independantly...

Hmm. It has a section on "Building and using an HDD image" that might be interesting. In theory, you can take the normal build process, but build the config like this:

lb config -b hdd

Then just rip out the initrd and hey presto you're done... Unless of course this is something else entirely.

The only difference seems to be in /config/build:

diff --git a/lb/config/build b/lb2/config/build
index bee6229..3decc48 100644
--- a/lb/config/build
+++ b/lb2/config/build
@@ -7,4 +7,4 @@ Mirror-Bootstrap: http://ftp.debian.org/debian/
 [FIXME]
 Configuration-Version: 5.0~a11
 Name: live-image
-Type: iso-hybrid
+Type: hdd

Last edited by JnvSor (2016-06-10 21:25:35)

#7 2016-06-10 21:37:51

hhh
Meep!
Website

Knock yourself out. If I can do it...

#8 2016-06-10 21:44:58

JnvSor

Hah! Can't. I'm just throwing increasingly strange ideas at the wall to see if any of it sticks.

Is there a reason we don't include a "debian-installer-launcher" to install BL from the live booted system?

#9 2016-06-10 21:52:40

hhh
Meep!
Website

JnvSor wrote:

Is there a reason we don't include a "debian-installer-launcher" to install BL from the live booted system?

Yes, it only works with the 64 bit kernel and we offer two other ISOs. It seemed stoopid to have a launcher that was broken in two-thirds of the images we offered.

Plus, the BunsenLabs configuration of Openbox doesn't support desktop icons, so we'd have to make a menu entry for it, but then the entry would still exist on an installed system, so we'd have to create a hack to remove it... bad idea was the decision.

-edit- We do offer this lovely installation HowTo, thanks to @damo, with pictures!

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=518

#10 2016-06-10 22:01:09

JnvSor

Yes, unfortunately while the live boot works fine from a multiboot usb (As in loopmounted iso) the installation doesn't. Debian solves this with special case initrds (Hence this thread) but it looks like it's a bit of a pain with live-build doesn't it?

#11 2016-06-10 22:04:57

hhh
Meep!
Website

Indeed, udebs. Sorry I can't be of more help. If I ever delve deeper into d-i customization, I'll let you know!

#12 2016-06-10 22:06:47

hhh
Meep!
Website

You might also consider creating a dedicated BunsenLabs USB with persistence, it has a lot more uses then a Live session...

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic … 6974#p6974

#13 2016-06-10 22:50:12

JnvSor

Yeah but the main point of a multiboot is that when it's time to upgrade you just slap a new iso on the stick and you're done sad

#14 2016-06-15 18:42:49

JnvSor

I feel like giving it an actual crack. hhh - could you tell me what the best way to build the disc is?

Is there somewhere I can grab the contents of the auto folder? (I gather there are contents from earlier in this thread)

Board footer