You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-02 23:16:54

bonbonboi

[SOLVED] Dual boot flash drive w/ EFI and Legacy support

-Moderator edit- Split off by hhh from this thread...
https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=391

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
bonbonboi wrote:

Hello, is it necessary to flag the esd partition with boot flag?

Well, the EFI system partition should have the "EF00" GUID partition code in order for it to be identified by the motherboard.

In gparted, a partition of type EF00 will be marked with the flags boot,esp

These are merely gparted's abstracted way of referring to the partition type, you are correct to say that a "boot flag" (in the most traditional sense) is not needed but unless "boot,esp" shows in the flags section in gparted the EFI system partition will not be detected.
I would recommend using this command to show your partition table:

sudo parted -l

I'm thinking about making a portable Linux dual boot flash disk, but since the boot flag comes forcibly with the efi partition, then I think I can't accomplish that, since I need the disk to be bootable on both BIOS motherboards and UEFI motherboards, in MBR booting I need that flag to be set (Active partition), but the EFI esd took it any way  roll

#2 2016-06-02 23:34:03

hhh
Meep!
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Dual boot flash drive w/ EFI and Legacy support

Can the system boot Ubuntu? Install their mini.iso and you can build Bunsenlabs on top of that. I could create a HowTo.

#3 2016-06-03 07:39:06

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

bonbonboi wrote:

I'm thinking about making a portable Linux dual boot flash disk, but since the boot flag comes forcibly with the efi partition, then I think I can't accomplish that, since I need the disk to be bootable on both BIOS motherboards and UEFI motherboards, in MBR booting I need that flag to be set (Active partition), but the EFI esd took it any way  roll

No, you can boot in both UEFI and non-UEFI mode from the same system, I do that with both my UEFI laptops.

The trick is to use a GUID partition table (GPT) and create the EFI system partition and the other main partition(s) first then once the device is full create a BIOS boot partition (type "EF02", "bios_boot" in gparted I think) in sectors 34-2047 (these will be empty if the device's partition table is correctly aligned) to hold GRUB's non-UEFI bootloader.

In Arch, their version of GRUB allows both UEFI and non-UEFI installation but in Debian the two versions are not co-installable sad

You would have to use grub-pc to install the non-UEFI bootloader and use gummiboot as the UEFI bootmanager.

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#4 2016-06-03 18:04:54

bonbonboi

My bad I just now remember that, efi/mbr reads fat32. solved  roll

#5 2016-06-03 20:50:39

hhh
Meep!
Website

Marking this [SOLVED].

Board footer