You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-23 01:20:13

jjanderson5

[closed] nm-applet fails

I am running network manager on Waldorf on my laptop. Network manager connects to my LAN when I boot up and I can access the network, but nm-applet does not come up in the tint2 panel. When I try running nm-applet, I get the following:

# nm-applet
(nm-applet:4738): GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:
Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken. 
GConf Error: No D-BUS daemon running

** (nm-applet:4738): WARNING **: Failed to initialize D-Bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken. 

(nm-applet:4738): GConf-WARNING **: Directory `/apps/nm-applet' was not being monitored by GConfClient 0x9a90808

I get the following output when I check to see if the dbus daemon is running. It looks like it is running ok.

furillo# ps -elf | fgrep -i dbus
1 S jja       2790  2736  0  80   0 -   969 -      20:42 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/ssh-agent env TMPDIR=/tmp /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session x-session-manager1 S jja       2793     1  0  80   0 -   880 -      20:42 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session x-session-manager
1 S jja       2794     1  0  80   0 -   814 -      20:42 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --fork --print-pid 5 --print-address 7 --session
5 S 101       4513     1  0  80   0 -   792 -      21:06 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon 

Can anyone help with a suggestion on how I can get nm-applet to run?

Last edited by jjanderson5 (2016-05-27 04:23:04)

#2 2016-05-23 06:40:39

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: [closed] nm-applet fails

Hello jjanderson5, welcome to the forums smile

How have you been keeping your Waldorf system updated?

The #! repositories are off-line (AFAIK) so normal system upgrades would not proceed without modification.

Please post the output of:

groups

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#3 2016-05-25 01:05:57

jjanderson5

Hi 'Head_on_a_Stick'.

No, I have not been upgrading. With the repositories offline, is there a way to upgrade still?

The output from groups is as follows:

$ groups
jja cdrom floppy sudo audio dip video plugdev fuse scanner bluetooth netdev cbnetwork

#4 2016-05-25 06:36:54

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

jjanderson5 wrote:

No, I have not been upgrading. With the repositories offline, is there a way to upgrade still?

Although the #! repositories have been down for a while, it is important that you have been drawing updates from the Debian repositories, particularly those from security.debian.org

When was the last time you updated your system?

Have you installed any new packages since using `apt-get upgrade` (or so) last?

jjanderson5 wrote:

The output from groups is as follows:

Yeah, that's all normal which is a pity 'cos I though perhaps you weren't in the cbnetwork group hmm

#5 2016-05-26 18:28:32

jjanderson5

Are you asking about updating #! because you think my problem could be caused because my version is out of date? Or are you asking just for good hygiene? I am just curious, because updating takes me off into a different thread. Lets follow the update thread and then come back to the nm-applet problem.

I have not updated Waldorf because is had been working for me and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". To be honest, I had not thought about updating because I forgot that Debian has been going forward even if #! has not. I am concerned about updating the debian packages and then finding out that #! does not work on those updates. Is that an unrealistic concern? If I do want to update, are there instructions some place regarding what repository should be used? Shouldn't the last #! release already include the debian repositories, so that 'apt-get update' should pick up the updates?

#6 2016-05-26 18:43:52

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

jjanderson5 wrote:

Are you asking about updating #! because you think my problem could be caused because my version is out of date?

No, I have no clue why nm-applet isn't starting.
sad

jjanderson5 wrote:

I am concerned about updating the debian packages and then finding out that #! does not work on those updates. Is that an unrealistic concern? If I do want to update, are there instructions some place regarding what repository should be used? Shouldn't the last #! release already include the debian repositories, so that 'apt-get update' should pick up the updates?

There are several threads detailing the steps needed to convert #! to track pure Debian, I'm sure a search will bring a few up for you wink

I would strongly advise updating your system, the packages are now very old and there have been several high-profile vulnerabilities exposed in some critical programs in your machine and these need to be fixed ASAP.

Although Debian wheezy (oldstable) is still supported by the LTS team, the security support for Debian jessie is handled by the official Debian Security team and is pretty much as good as it gets.

As such, I would recommend changing to either Debian jessie (stable) or BunsenLabs.

#7 2016-05-26 18:44:55

damo
....moderator....

jjanderson5 wrote:

... Shouldn't the last #! release already include the debian repositories, so that 'apt-get update' should pick up the updates?

It has the wheezy repos, which are now Old Stable; and the Crunchbang repo, which is now offline. AFAIK The only things which may update are the security packages.

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#8 2016-05-27 04:18:32

jjanderson5

It may take a bit of time, but I will begin upgrading to Bunsenlabs, Hydrogen. Hopefully, that will fix the nm-applet problem on my laptop too.

Thanks for the advise.

Board footer