You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-05 14:18:05

aanastasiou

bunsen-* scripts on a Debian based distribution

Hello everyone

I tried to use an Ubuntu Server 16.04 as my base installation and then import the bunsen-* scripts from the bunsen repositories hoping that that would give me an easier path to a "bunsenified" Ubuntu based installation.

I have spent some time trying to get lightdm working with openbox and as it seems, the scripts are not exactly going to work out of the box.

Is there a "fundamental reason" why not? What I would be looking for is some sort of insight by more experienced users on the differences between the filesystems and the assumptions the two distributions are making. Perhaps I could get a large part of the functionality if I was to establish a few symbolic links or aliases (?)

My simplistic view was that at the very least, I could install the packages that Bunsen uses and then download the bunsen-config package and everything would magically work together.

Am I too far up in the clouds or would this be doable with some clever tweaking? smile

#2 2016-05-05 16:24:18

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

Re: bunsen-* scripts on a Debian based distribution

This is just an uneducated guess, and my humble opinion but.

Debian is not Ubuntu = Ubuntu is not Debian

Ubuntu gets it's files from Debian and then changes things and develops things 'their way' - therefore Debian and Ubuntu are not 100% compatible.

Bunsen is Debian 8 and the scripts that make Bunsen what it is are made for that Debian base.

You are experiencing the incompatibility of mixing Ubuntu and Debian

=== EDIT ==================
OK better stuff to follow.  smile
I was wrong wrong wrong!

Last edited by Sector11 (2016-05-06 02:31:08)

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

#3 2016-05-05 16:27:21

twoion
ほやほや

Well, the BL packages have interdependencies, and expect certain things to be in certain locations.

The safest way to get them to work would probably be to use our repositories and install the packages minus what you don't need, or build the packages on Xenial. Using the repos was possibile up to trusty and wily because we mostly require versions 'greater than' and not 'smaller than' (I tested a tiny little bit). Maybe it'll work. If not and there are failures during the installation process, you can remove partially installed packages using dpkg --purge $package, even when the package is not listed by apt.

Per aspera ad astra.

#4 2016-05-06 01:33:27

johnraff
nullglob
Website

aanastasiou wrote:

would this be doable with some clever tweaking?

Doable, I'd say, or at least a lot of it. Most of our packages are doing simple things, and it is a long-term goal that they can be used on as wide a variety of platforms as possible.

How much clever tweaking will be necessary with Ubuntu 16.04 is something you'll have to find out of course...

Actually, it's an interesting idea and I might try doing the same on a virtual machine, just to see how it goes. smile

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#5 2016-05-06 08:49:24

aanastasiou

Many thanks to everyone for your responses.

Given my other problem, with pip, I am leaving this option open anyway and I am also working on virtualbox.

If there is a way to coordinate our actions so that we don't replicate efforts feel free to DM me.

Specifically now:

Sector11: They are indeed different distributions but not as different as, for example, this one and this one. So, the question now becomes...How different are these two?

If I was to compare like with like, I would do a minimal install of both systems and then compare the filesystems (excluding places like /dev). We could then trawl through the bunsen-* scripts and add branching to where a config file should go depending on the distro. I am assuming that all of my "problems" are stemming from different locations on the filesystem. Package dependencies should be handled by each distros package management.

twoion: Can I ask what do you mean by "build the packages on Xenial"? You mean software build or re-packaging? What I did was a) Minimal server installation -> add openbox -> add the display manager (lightdm). At this point, I have a minimal OS with the graphics part. Now, add the bunsen repos and apt-get install bunsen-config. That is, just alter the configuration files of the _existing_ packages. Subsequently I discovered that everything was commented in the lightdm conf and it required a lot of work to get it to properly login a user and start an openbox session. Getting the rest of the scripts to work (i.e. menus on shutdown) is even messier smile

#6 2016-05-06 19:11:25

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

aanastasiou wrote:

what do you mean by "build the packages on Xenial"?

Add the deb-src line for BunsenLabs [1] and then use:

apt-get source --compile $PACKAGE

Then use gdebi to install the .deb

Have you tried running the netinstall script [2] from a CLI-only installation?

[1]

deb-src http://pkg.bunsenlabs.org/debian bunsen-hydrogen main

[2] https://github.com/BunsenLabs/bunsen-netinstall

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#7 2016-05-07 00:55:45

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Yesterday I tried the netinstall script on top of a VB install of Ubuntu Server 16.04.
2016_05_07_1462581579_1440x900_scrot.jpg

I haven't yet done any testing - except to confirm that the exit > "Power off" option works - but it looks like BunsenLabs.

Perhaps easier than going over all the differences and putting things in bit by bit is just to throw it all in like this and fix issues as they come up. The main differences are related to packages and repositories of course. I'd be very surprised if all the "install" pipemenus worked without any tweaking, for example.

I had to tweak the install list a bit to get the script to run. In the install commands:

wget https://github.com/bunsenlabs/bunsen-netinstall/archive/master.tar.gz
tar -xpf master.tar.gz
cd bunsen-netinstall-master

Stop here and run

nano pkgs-norecs

Comment out these packages:
fbxkb
obmenu

Edit these:
firmware-linux > linux-firmware
fonts-droid > fonts-droid-fallback
iceweasel > firefox

Add:
lightdm-gtk-greeter
It might be better just not to install bunsen-welcome, so also open pkgs-recs and
comment out:
bunsen-welcome

Also, if you're on a Virtualbox then you'll need to install the Guest Additions.
On the VB "Devices" menu, "Insert Guest Additions CD image", then:

sudo apt-get install dkms
sudo mount /dev/sr0 /media/cdrom
cd /media/cdrom
sudo sh ./VboxLinux(TABKEY).run

Now you can go back to the installer:

cd ~/bunsen-netinstall-master
./install

With any luck it should work OK.

Then you have to go over it and fix all the bugs!!

Last edited by johnraff (2016-05-07 09:01:39)

#8 2016-05-07 01:11:33

hhh
Meep!
Website

^Pretty frickin' cool.

#9 2016-05-09 07:43:59

aanastasiou

Hey, that's just great, thank you very much for your response johnraff.

Is there somewhere any documentation regarding bunsen? For example, I noticed that the shutdown script is python instead of a script with yad (for example). How is Bunsen "structured"?

#10 2016-05-09 08:32:22

xaos52
The Good Doctor

^ See bunsenlabs at github.
There has been a proposal to split off the python scripts - which are now thrown into bunsenlabs-utilities together with yad scripts - into their own package, but nothing has been decided yet.

#11 2016-05-09 14:40:32

aanastasiou

Thank you very much xaos52, the github repo for the netinstall and some of the bunsen-docs have somewhat helped.

I have followed the procedure by johnraff and I am very happy to see the underlying Linux being Bunsenified smile As far as my use-case is concerned, everything works.

Essentially, I will be even turning off a large part of the pkgs-norecs because I simply don't need them (e.g. media player, filezilla, etc) and subsequently, I will be modifying the menus as well to reflect what is actually installed.

While I am only aware of various ways to "build a distro", I was wondering if Bunsen adopts one of them that I could look in more depth. In other words, is this netinstall way of installing things part of the common process one would follow to produce a custom distro or is it a set of ad-hoc scripts to the same effect?

I would be interested in finding this out because for my use-case, I would need to preload the distribution with a set of software and data files that I can automate via scripts. So I am wondering if I could modify the Bunsen scripts anyway....with appropriate acknowledgment of course smile

#12 2016-05-09 20:19:48

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

aanastasiou wrote:

I am wondering if I could modify the Bunsen scripts

The license is GPL3:
https://github.com/BunsenLabs/bunsen-ne … er/LICENSE

#copylefted

angel

EDIT: For clarity: yes, you can modify the scripts.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2016-05-09 20:20:19)

#13 2016-05-09 21:31:14

o9000
tint2 developer
Website

So... should we call that Ubunsen?

#14 2016-05-09 22:03:25

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

UbunsenLabs   cool

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

#15 2016-05-10 06:45:28

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Blubuntu?  tongue

@aanastasiou The bunsen netinstall script is a modified version of the Crunchbang netinstall script. If you compare the two versions you can see the sort of changes that were made going from Wheezy to Hydrogen. In fact installing BunsenLabs via netinstall is quite a simple process and the script is really over-complicated for the job, but it was easier to adjust the settings in the existing one that to start from scratch.

The basic script was meant to be as easy to modify as possible - that's why so much of the code is taken out to separate files. Check the file lists in the READMEs for an idea of what to edit where...

...and of course it's OK to modify whatever you want. smile

#16 2016-05-13 11:11:20

aanastasiou

Hello again, many thanks for your responses.

I am in the process of applying the mods, which is not exactly a walk in the park if you want to have a script carry out all the work for you...but I am getting there, I think smile

Anyway, I am faced with a problem involving LANG, in this..."Blubuntu" construction, and I am reaching the end of my knowledge.

sudo localectl

reports system-wide LANG and LANGUAGE as expected. However,

locale

from a terminal has LANG and LANGUAGE set to null hmm

I am trying to

export LANG="en_GB.UTF-8"

at

~/.profile

but it's not having it. Of course, I have restarted the terminal and the whole session and the whole virtual machine subsequently but the LANG is still not set properly.

I have a feeling that .profile doesn't get "executed" or that perhaps the order by which scripts are called overrides the LANG setting from the profile.

The annoying bit is that both matplotlib and spyder fail to start with an error message complaining about the locale not being set properly (which it is!).

If I

export LANG=...

, spyder launches without any complaints.

Any ideas?

#17 2016-05-13 11:47:52

xaos52
The Good Doctor

Do you have file $HOME/.dmrc ?
It should contain:

[Desktop]
Language=en_GB.utf8
Session=lightdm-xsession

If you are using lightdm, that is.

#18 2016-05-13 14:19:11

johnraff
nullglob
Website

aanastasiou wrote:

I have a feeling that .profile doesn't get "executed"

This is correct in the case of LightDm. (You can set environment variables in ~/.xsessionrc or ~/.config/openbox/environment) Have you tried choosing a language at LightDm's login window before logging in?

Also, there's a bug with LightDm's handling of languages - it writes in .dmrc with the wrong syntax.
See: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo … bug=765077

Summary:
1. $GDM_LANG is produced only when lightdm is started with some cache present.
2. $GDM_LANG does not always contain correct locale. Usually, it contains locale
chosen first after lighdm is started, or sometimes system default.
3. $LANG and $LANGUAGE are completely untouched by lightdm.
4. ~/.dmrc is always written with correct settings on login

Based on that, I added /etc/X11/Xsession.d/21-bunsen-lightdm-locale in bunsen-configs, which fixes the issue with the version of LightDm which comes with Debian Jessie.

It's possible that Ubuntu's version of LightDm behaves differently.

#19 2016-05-13 16:44:48

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

#20 2016-05-16 10:36:57

aanastasiou

Hello everyone! Thank you for your responses, please see below:

xaos52 wrote:

Do you have file $HOME/.dmrc ?

Yes and all it says is Session=openbox. Didn't think about that one. I could go for it if it sets the language for the graphics session but the environment variable should be set as well because both Spyder and Matplotlib look for it and I suppose other software would too. (Pytz for example comes to mind, when it decides on default date and time formats).

johnraff wrote:

You can set environment variables in ~/.xsessionrc ...

Yep. I am more inclined to go for this solution. Interesting side-effect...Now all the variables reported by locale are set to en_GB.UTF-8...All I did was to export LANG! smile Anyway, this keeps Spyder and matplotlib happy for the moment and it is based on env variables as well.

johnraff wrote:

Have you tried choosing a language at LightDm's login window before logging in?

Yes, it was already en_GB by default but without the .xsessionrc mod, the change did not seem to be propagating to the rest of the system.

johnraff wrote:

Also, there's a bug with LightDm's handling of languages...

Ah, that's good to know, thank you very much.

johnraff wrote:

Based on that, I added /etc/X11/Xsession.d/21-bunsen-lightdm-locale in bunsen-configs, which fixes the issue...

Given that LANG, as an environment variable is examined by other software as well, can we have the export added to the xsessionrc as well?

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Have you tried https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Local … ermanently?

Yep, I am aware of that but I would not want to force anything at system level because some of my users might wish to apply their own settings at this.

All the best

#21 2016-05-17 08:41:37

johnraff
nullglob
Website

aanastasiou wrote:
johnraff wrote:

Also, there's a bug with LightDm's handling of languages...

Ah, that's good to know, thank you very much.

johnraff wrote:

Based on that, I added /etc/X11/Xsession.d/21-bunsen-lightdm-locale in bunsen-configs, which fixes the issue...

Given that LANG, as an environment variable is examined by other software as well, can we have the export added to the xsessionrc as well?

It shouldn't be necessary. LANG is already being exported by that file in Xsession.d Run 'echo $LANG' to see.

Board footer