You are not logged in.

#1 2016-03-03 06:23:30

Specs-Lex

Bunsen Labs Will Not Boot

Hello!

I've been trying to install Bunsen Labs on my computer, but I can't get it to boot. It goes through the setup perfectly fine and everything - I select to encrypt my hard drive, I can lay out my partition scheme, and everything seems fine. However, whenever I try to start it up after installing, it simply will not start. It doesn't even print out an error message - the little cursor flickers and moves down a line, which I'm pretty sure means the bootloader started, but it will hang there indefinitely, and no amount of restarting will fix it. My computer is UEFI capable, but I've made sure to explicitly set it to the Legacy boot option, so I'm reasonably sure that's not the problem. The very first time I tried to install it I got a "Partition Table is Invalid" error, but ever since it won't even print that. I've inspected the boot partition and examined the bootloader configuration, but I didn't find anything out of the ordinary. Furthermore, I noticed that the boot partition was not marked as bootable and so I set the flag on that, but it didn't change anything.

#2 2016-03-03 07:24:37

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: Bunsen Labs Will Not Boot

Welcome to the forums smile

Specs-Lex wrote:

the little cursor flickers and moves down a line

Can you explain this a bit more please?

From the BunsenLabs live session, please post the output of:

sudo parted -l # that's a letter el not a number one

You may have to `apt-get install parted` first.

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#3 2016-04-01 15:16:51

AndyMender
Website

Re: Bunsen Labs Will Not Boot

Specs-Lex wrote:

Hello!

(...)My computer is UEFI capable, but I've made sure to explicitly set it to the Legacy boot option, so I'm reasonably sure that's not the problem.(...)

If I remember correctly, important UEFI compatibility stuff is backported to Jessie kernels so that Debian Stable can run on more recent UEFI hardware. I would give the UEFI install a try smile.

Also, which partition did you want to encrypt? / (root) or /home? I once had problems with root partition encryption on Debian, but that was millenia ago.

In a GNU/Linux daze since forever. Hail to Debian and Arch!

Board footer