You are not logged in.

#1 2016-03-25 23:38:31

iMBeCil
WAAAT?

What is the most stupid thing you did on linux?

Good god, I am such an idiot!! And an imbecile!

I was configuring my debian remote server (mostly testing certain iptables stuff), by doing 'sudo reboot'. (Yes, I know there is 'systemctl restart networking', but I wanted to check that everything will be OK after boot.)

And inadvertently typed 'sudo poweroff' instead mad mad

To continue working, I have to switch the server on, physically press the POWER ON button, by myself. mad mad

Right now it is almost half an hour past midnight, and I will lose at least 45 minutes to go there and back home. And at that time I will be too tired to continue work. So, I'm quiting my work, and do some pr0n or something, instead sad sad

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarghhhhhhhhhh. Sranje! Pas mater! mad mad cry  cry

Only good thing is that the server is not in production yet ... phew.

Did something stupid like this happened to any of you?

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..

#2 2016-03-25 23:54:46

dot|not
Website

Re: What is the most stupid thing you did on linux?

Encrypted a computer and forget the password before the installation was even complete, rebooted a server that wasn't reboot-safe, accidentally locked myself out of one of my own servers several times for several reasons, corrupted my own backups, corrupted backups that did not belong to me, accidentally chmod'ed / with the -R options, wanted a single configuration reload but ended up restarting the cluster, .. honestly, my list of fuckups pretty much has no end.

#3 2016-03-26 00:03:02

iMBeCil
WAAAT?

^After your post, I feel my 'mistake' is a minor one ... Sorry for your troubles wink

Actually, now that I've chilled down, it is not that awful ...

#4 2016-03-26 02:14:07

lowrider

dd the wrong drive, gone a sh**load of photos. No talkin for 2 weeks and no sex for 6 weeks. Does that count?

Last edited by lowrider (2016-03-26 02:20:47)

#5 2016-03-26 03:06:50

pingu

rm -fr *  in the wrong directory more than once.

and one of those times it was the root directory.
(rebuilding a chroot enviroment, I ran that command thinking I was in the new root).

Last edited by pingu (2016-03-26 03:07:31)

"Chuck Norris can compile syntax errors."

#6 2016-03-26 03:27:12

Sector11
Tpyo Knig

lowrider wrote:

dd the wrong drive, gone a sh**load of photos. No talkin for 2 weeks and no sex for 6 weeks. Does that count?

OH YEA! That a bad one.
dd = Duh! Dummy!

Wiped an entire Ubuntu distro once ... testing stuff - emails, wife's games, BLINK! ... that's when I decided I'd have three separate partitions: /root, /home and /media/5. {sigh}

BunsenLabs Forum Rules ---== I'm a Conky 1.9'er ==---
System:    Host: d67 Kernel: 4.9.0-9-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 6.3.0)
Desktop: Openbox 3.6.1 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)

#7 2016-03-26 08:31:21

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Tapped an external HDD during a reboot, after which it made a funky sound when trying to mount.  Fortunately, I had only accidentally its MBR and was able to find...some utility, I'd have to look up what it was...that was able to restore it to a point where I had access long enough to copy the data to another drive.

dd-ing a live ISO to the wrong drive was a close second though.

Be excellent to each other, and...party on, dudes!
BunsenLabs Forum Rules
Tending and defending the Flame since 2009

#8 2016-03-26 10:16:58

twoion
ほやほや

I'm using git on everything I produce myself: texts, graphics, code, configurations, etc. That's not only because I want version control – for the most part, git is mostly a DIRECTORY CACHE which holds a backup of every file.

I still frequently make the mistake of doing mv a/b/c/d/e/f/*.c ./ just to see that I moved a file with the same name into the directory, destroying my own changes, or using Ctrl+R in bash (reverse history search -- quite useful) and hitting enter on the wrong match, deleting or writing random stuff.

So what I have got here is basically insurance (in addition to backups!).

Tempra la cetra e canta

#9 2016-03-26 12:15:44

photonucleon
Thursday

I think the worst thing I've done so far is change my user password, managing to mistype it in both the "change" and "confirm" fields. Really not that bad. tongue

The servant lifted off a kind of ottoman a long peacock-blue drapery, rather of the nature of a domino, on the front of which was emblazoned a large golden sun, and which was splashed here and there with flaming stars and crescents. “You’re to be dressed as Thursday, sir,” said the valet somewhat affably.

#10 2016-03-26 15:26:46

iMBeCil
WAAAT?

Now I'm so scared to repeat my mistake ... I did:

$ sudo mv /sbin/poweroff /sbin/dont-do-poweroff
$ sudo mv /sbin/shutdown /sbin/dont-do-shutdown

big_smile  big_smile

Guys, sorry for your mistakes, although, as I said earlier, they seem much more serious than mine ... I sympathize with you  wink

#11 2016-03-26 15:57:36

Nili
Website

Similar @pingu, i did with "rm -r",

Instead removing a folder on root, i had removed accidentally something big here. So, i endup re-inst the whole Ubuntu 4 years ago.

Nothing beats peace and quiet / Tomoki Sakurai

#12 2016-03-26 18:35:06

Snap

Deleting the whole pictures folder right after starting a backup. All gone. puff! No more pics from travels, holidays, family...

Last edited by Snap (2016-03-26 20:00:55)

#13 2016-03-26 19:28:13

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Wiped our Windows 8 system playing around with gparted big_smile

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#14 2016-03-26 19:50:54

Nili
Website

We're humans that make mistakes, we learn from mistakes and move forward. Of course like any loss, we then counted the consequences laters.

Condolences to your files, settings or the whole OS smile

Nothing beats peace and quiet / Tomoki Sakurai

#15 2016-03-27 00:35:22

lowrider

Nili wrote:

Condolences to your files, settings or the whole OS smile

Thx. I almost sold my soul to the devil to make mrs. lowrider love me again. That was 8 years ago and i am still the happiest man alive with her...

#16 2017-03-10 21:22:25

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

Just discovered this thread... I had that "been there, done that"-feeling... It's almost amusing reading all the stories but those things are hell when they happen.

Worst thing I can remember: I was messing around with distro img-files - I had a hdd, and an other 1 TB hdd and also an usb stick. Wanted to dd one image from one of the hdds to the stick - started the command, checked the sda numbers, enter - looking at the screen, at the hdd, at the stick. Hmmm, the stick is not blinking. The hdd is blinking very fast. Hmmm, why is that stick not blinking? It should blink as I'm just dd-ing to it... wait... Holy moly!!! I'm dd-ing to the 1 TB drive!!!!!! I still can remember that moment. It was an aptosid image. I was very lucky in the end, it took me one week to get the data back but finally managed to do it (it was a 1 TB ntfs hdd). Whenever you accidentally delete something, remember, there is still a chance to get the data back.

My other worst thing: I was working on a PC in a network where you could open files from e-mail attachments but they could not be saved, because there was a special doc-management system. I had to finish something for someone else and there was a deadline (one o'clock), so in the morning I concentrated hard on the task 4-5 hours to get it done. In the end I pressed "save" and closed the file. Big mistake. That doc was gone (and the IT guys who I called did not even try a file recovery).

Oh, one more: Back in the school we were supposed to format a disk. I was joking around telling the others to write c: instead of a:  In the end I accidentally typed "format c:" and pressed enter. Suddenly I was wondering why the PC is not working anymore. It did not feel good what just happened... Then I remembered that there is also an "unformat" command, which indeed saved me.

#17 2017-03-10 21:42:38

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office

Not on linux, but data loss: Bought quite an expensive raid5 external unit which turned out to loose data at will (lost about 4 TB in a second). After the incident, drives were moved to the case (and unit kicked away) as dangerous raid0 and somehow the same setup is still running today.

On irix: wrong su chmod or chown with -R switch.

Linux: the usual dd iso to wrong drive.

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2017-03-10 21:46:15)

#18 2017-03-10 22:45:52

o9000
tint2 developer
Website

I installed Fedora on my laptop. Its partitioner created a 5 TB partition, which would have been impressive in 2010, except my laptop only had a 250 GB drive (it corrupted the partition table). I couldn't boot anything (I had all my stuff on a system installed on a separate partition) and most of the partitioning/recovery tools choked on it, either crashing, refusing to read or to change it. Eventually I got it working after a whole day of trying and a lot of sweating and swearing.

Since then I only distro hop in VMs or spare computers.

#19 2017-03-10 23:34:50

damo
....moderator....

Got a new machine with a nice nvidia card, booted #! to the famous black screen and flashing cursor. I didn't know then how to manage with nomodeset, TTY's etc, so I bought a Win7 disc. The utter shame sad

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#20 2017-03-11 06:49:07

ohnonot
...again
Website

^ that's the worst you could come up with?
oh wait, you actually _bought_ the disc? i guess that counts wink

for me:
offered (!) to install linux on a friends oldish laptop, totally bogged down by some proprietary operating system.
she asked me several times if her photographs would remain unaffected and i said yes of course, i am that good.
fortunately the images were in their own ntfs partition, so after installing linux mint i decided to mount it somewhere and then symlink to ~/images.
then i decided to do some cosmetic adjustment, and removed the symlink ~/images.
however, judging by the sudden hard drive activity, it started deleting the contents of the drive!!!!! and of course i'd used shift-delete to bypass the trash can, like i always do (damn the muscle memory of that).

as any sane hacker, i switched the machine off immediately, then asked a linuxy neighbour for some spare external storage, booted live and started recovering.

i was panicky.
i missed my train back home and stayed another night.
i think i got +90% back, but the file structure was lost.
some scripting, and they were sorted by dates & extensions, but she was miffed anyway.
i never told her what really happened and swore the linuxy neighbor to eternal silence.

i haven't found out how it could have happened.
maybe it was the unfamiliar filemanager that was set up to delete folder contents instead of just the folder symlink. maybe it had something to do with ntfs and its lack of permissions.

Last edited by ohnonot (2017-03-11 06:52:24)

#21 2017-03-11 06:59:08

o9000
tint2 developer
Website

^ Been there, done that. I no longer help girls with computers. It's too much trouble. And they never have backups.

#22 2017-03-11 07:16:52

cpoakes

Aren't "rm -rf *"; "chmod -R ... *"; and "dd of=/dev/wrong ..." rights of passage for unix/linux sysadmins? Haven't been there yet? Stick with it for 20 years.

#23 2017-03-11 10:06:33

Temetka

I've done some of the typical mistakes

rm -r on / <-- reload OS
dd'd the fresh empty drive to the drive I was attempting to clone
opened the .zip bomb on a linux machine stupidly thinking it wouldn't be affected. It was affected.
stupidly assigned root as owner of /home and no one else with any permissions. Alcohol may have been involved. This was easily corrected though.
Once wiped out my Windows partition by accident when installing ubuntu. Oops. Not so much of a problem now as this laptop only has linux on it. smile

That's about all I can recall right now. I'm sure I'm forgetting something and also pretty sure I'll make more mistakes in the future.

The meaning of life is to just be alive. It is so plain and so obvious
    and so simple. And yet everybody rushes aroound in a great panic
             as if it were necessary to achieve something beyond themselves.
                                                                                                             - Alan Watts

#24 2017-03-11 10:08:02

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

ohnonot wrote:

as any sane hacker, i switched the machine off immediately, then asked a linuxy neighbour for some spare external storage, booted live and started recovering.
i think i got +90% back, but the file structure was lost.

What linux tool did you use? testdisk? scalpel? I have to say that once I managed to recover an accidentally deleted .odt file on a linux ext4 partition, but the tool I used did not keep the filename and I always failed to recover an accidentally deleted directory (even with extundelete). If it's about files on an ntfs partition, it's preferable to use windows programs (as far as i can tell, in your story it should've been possible to recover every file with their original name as the data was not overwritten and they were on an ntfs partition. "Deleting" actually does not do anything to the file itself physically on the hdd, it only removes the reference to it [well, sort of, in a nutshell]).

#25 2017-03-11 18:07:52

stevep
MX Linux Developer

Any boneheaded moves any of us have made just pale in comparison to the Amazon employee whose simple typo brought down a goodly portion of the Internet last week:  https://aws.amazon.com/message/41926/

Takeaway:  though the Net was designed to be robust and route around damage, it's obvious that the loads we place upon it have made it increasingly brittle.

Board footer