You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-08 17:12:07

redcollective

Formalising Backports Requests a tad??

Hey folks,

I recently put in a backports request which was almost instantly provided by the good devs here. This is going to sound weird - but it was almost... too easy?

Don't get me wrong, I'm very grateful.

However: should backports undergo more vigorous discussion and vetting first? Would it be overkill to have a jessie-backports-candidates repo where backports could be tried out by enthusiasts before going into the 'official' collection in jessie-backports? Perhaps what I'm suggesting is nonsense, but I'm thinking here more about the  support burden on our voluntary devs  that a larger collection of backports might create in the future.

What do other distros do? thoughts?

red

ps: please keep the plank backport smile

Knowledge Ferret

#2 2015-10-08 17:45:41

schwim
Website

Re: Formalising Backports Requests a tad??

I think it will automatically regulate itself as the devs get busier.  Right now, there seems to be some free time so they did you a solid.  Down the road, when they're juggling flaming chainsaws and baby alpacas, a request to have Dora the Explorers complete works added to the distro will likely be quietly passed by.

Schw.im! A social site with an identity crisis.

#3 2015-10-08 18:44:47

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

If any users wish to backport packages from testing/unstable themselves, see this guide:
https://wiki.debian.org/SimpleBackportCreation

To install packages from PPAs, follow this guide:
https://wiki.debian.org/CreatePackageFromPPA

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#4 2015-10-09 00:30:26

vasa1

redcollective wrote:

What do other distros do? ...

Not exactly about backports, but see the last bit here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/StrategyDocument:

Package Selection

When considering the package selection for Xubuntu, there are two main guidelines:

The package must be in line with the mission statement
    The package selection process must be conducted as objectively as possible

While the Xubuntu Project Lead and the Xubuntu Technical Lead have the last word on package selection, it's recommended that the whole team is involved in the discussion, bringing up well thought out arguments both for and against. When appropriate, tests should be conducted to gather meaningful measurements.

Before seeding an application in Xubuntu, the following aspects should be considered:

Usability and integration
    Usefulness
    Resource consumption and size
    Reliability
    Localization

When measuring if a package is right for Xubuntu, the decision should not be based on an analysis of the package alone, but the target package along with its dependencies. Any package that is considered for seeding should fulfill the following requirements:

The package should use the GTK toolkit
    The package should not pull in heavy libraries, especially if they will run and/or start frequently
    The package should be well maintained upstream

The above guidelines can be omitted when there are extensive benefits to seeding the package, consensus between the Xubuntu Project Lead and Xubuntu Technical Lead as well as broad support from the Xubuntu team.

Using the Openbox (3.5.2) session of Lubuntu 14.04 LTS but very interested in BL :)

#5 2015-10-09 06:57:04

redcollective

Food for thought vasa, thanks.

Knowledge Ferret

Board footer