You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-17 22:29:18

JasonMehmel

Creating something like the Apple Notification Centre (with Conky?)

Hey all,

I was shoulder-surfing a friend who was using an apple laptop and noticed the Notification Centre. It really appealed to me!

Then I figured that it would probably be possible to do something like that with Conky, maybe using hot corners or something.

Does anyone have an idea about how I could have the Conky appear in that fashion, as a hot corner? (I did some googling, but couldn't find anything along these lines.)

As a secondary question, I'd love to hear if there's an alternative program that might do something similar.

Fortune favours the bold.
BL Hydrogen
Lenovo ThinkPad t410

#2 2016-02-17 23:24:55

damo
....moderator....

Re: Creating something like the Apple Notification Centre (with Conky?)

You could use `bl-hotcorners`, which is included in BL (It is basically @corenominal's `cb-hotcorners` script for #!)

Create an rc file for the commands you want...`~/.config/bl-hotcorners/bl-hotcornersrc`

[Hot Corners]
top_left_corner_command = 
top_right_corner_command = 
bottom_left_corner_command = 
bottom_right_corner_command = 

So you could run a notification, or a conky etc etc. I haven't tested a conky, so I don't know if it would close after a time interval or a mouse-out move, but that should be easy enough to script.

EDIT: Just tried it....a bl-hotcorners mouse move will run a conky, but it doesn't close

EDIT 2: This works, but it is a bit clumsy... (make sure the conkyrc doesn't have "below" in "own_window_hints")

[Hot Corners]
top_left_corner_command = conky -c  $HOME/.config/conky/CB-Left.conkyrc && sleep 5s && pkill -xf "conky -c $HOME/.config/conky/CB-Left.conkyrc"

As a secondary question, I'd love to hear if there's an alternative program that might do something similar.

dunst is an alternative notifier. Also dzen2 can have info piped to it.

Last edited by damo (2016-02-17 23:52:19)

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3 2016-02-18 01:29:06

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Try this little script to toggle a certain conky (or any other process):

command='conky -q -c /path/to/conkyfile'
#command="urxvt -e tail -f $HOME/.xsession-errors" # alternative example
pkill -fx "$command" || exec $command

and call it from your hotcorner. If that particular conky command isn't running it will start it, if it's running already it will stop it.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog, idle Twitterings and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#4 2016-02-18 16:24:28

Unia
Octo-portal-pussy
Website

Take a look at Budgie Desktop's Raven: https://solus-project.com/budgie/

I have no idea if you can run it outside of Budgie Desktop, though.

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#5 2016-02-18 19:55:04

ohnonot
...again
Website

hotcorners is certainly good.
things to consider:
depending on the info you request, there might be noticeable lag between triggering it and appearing on desktop. maybe good to have a background script running that is keeping the info ready for immediate demand?

also, depending on what you need, notify-send could be sufficient, even more elegant?

#6 2016-02-19 06:57:28

JasonMehmel

notify-send is an interesting idea. One thing I'm not sure of;  will it take the input of an entire Conky script? Something to play around with.

Good point on the lag issue, too.

I guess the reason I keep going back to Conky is because I know it a little bit better, and there's already a wealth of knowledge around how to add weather, calendar events, RSS feeds, that sort of thing.

I might try johnraff's script, toggled after a hotcorner, just to see how it goes. But I'll keep poking at notify-send to see what sort of text I can pump through if I can generate that text via the data sources that I've mentioned.

BL Hydrogen
Lenovo ThinkPad t410

#7 2016-02-19 14:49:43

jasonwert

This is an interesting idea. I've toyed around with showing the last X number of notifications in conky. That way I could see notifications that popped up when I was away from my computer. I ended up going a different direction and installed  Dunst, which has notification history keyboard shortcuts. You could probably integrate hotcorners with the dunst history keyboard shortcut in some way.

#8 2016-02-19 17:55:08

JasonMehmel

It's also probably worth mentioning that I want to not just do the general notifications, but also incorporate my calendar events and such. I don't know how much that changes any of the suggestions that you've all given already!

BL Hydrogen
Lenovo ThinkPad t410

Board footer