You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-16 14:34:10

overkill22

Wine and HiDPI resolution

Hi guys,
I'm posting here because when it was #! I had a tons of help from the community and I learned a lot. Now it's time to have some professional help.
I'm running linux mint cinnamon as I changed recently my computer for an Asus UX305FA with an 1920x1080 13,3" screen.
Honestly I was quite disappointed for the very low support for HiDPI screen.

However, long story short, I need to run a program under wine, but I'm not able to set the resolution for that program.
In the wineconfig I've set the DPI to 166 instead of the default 96 and it works for the "normal" windows, but when it comes to open this program, nothing change and the font are super small.

see the screenshot

I tried to set wine as virtual desktop with a different resolution, but the result is always the same.

Anyone can help?

#2 2016-01-16 15:16:36

twoion
一期一会

Re: Wine and HiDPI resolution

It looks to me like that specific program is using a runtime which either ignores, overrides, or doesn't support the environment-wide settings. Possibly a statically linked executable using an old version of the .NET framework or a custom GUI widget library. So I suggest to first find out whether it is indeed statically linked or not, and if not, which DLLs the executable loads. In other cases, you're out of luck. Does simply increasing the font size through Wine (like using a 24pt font) sound like an OK workaround?

Not being familiar with Windows applications, I don't know if 'objdump -p $exe_file' also works on Windows exectables, but that could give a list of required shared libraries if any.

#3 2016-01-19 16:36:05

overkill22

Re: Wine and HiDPI resolution

I'm already using a 166 dpi resolution, but it seems that is working only for the wine configuration window, as if I open Notepad, the menu (file, edit, search etc) are super small. Here a screenshot.

If you need some informations, please try to provide me the command or the exact name of the thing you want so I can research how to provide you.
Thank you very much for your help!

Board footer