You are not logged in.

#101 2026-09-22 22:01:17

Martin
Member
From: Stockholm, Sweden
Registered: 2015-10-01
Posts: 844
Website

Re: AI discussions

Another good IEEE Spectrum read:

https://spectrum.ieee.org/ai-engineer-skills

/Martin


"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back."
Piet Hein

Offline

#102 2026-09-23 02:28:35

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 13,480
Website

Re: AI discussions

^excellent, thanks.

The instinct today is to let AI do the entry-level work because it is faster and cheaper. But some of that work is not overhead to be eliminated. It is the training apparatus of your future senior staff, and you should protect it the way you’d protect any other piece of critical infrastructure.


...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), now on Bluesky and Mastodon, there's also some GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Boron Desktop

Offline

#103 2026-09-23 02:48:43

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 13,480
Website

Re: AI discussions

greenjeans wrote:

It cuts both ways, useful at times, and flat out wrong at times, this is why I shudder when I think of heavy AI usage in the kernel, 30 million+ lines of code it just doesn't seem possible that someone is actually auditing the gargantuan amount of patches AI is generating for it.

Well, all those 30 million lines were originally written - and audited - by human beings. Nobody checked over the whole lot at once.

It seems that the quality of AI generated bug reports might have improved over the last year or so, but anyway the bottomline is that each patch has to be signed off by a human developer. They take personal responsibility so there is some motivation to do that auditing seriously.

tomshardware wrote:

Torvalds and the maintainers are acknowledging reality: developers are going to use AI tools to code faster, and trying to ban them is like trying to ban a specific brand of keyboard.

The bottom line is, if the code is good, then it's good. If it's hallucinatory AI slop that breaks the kernel, the human who clicked "submit" is the one who will have to answer to Linus Torvalds. In the open-source world, that's about as strong a deterrent as you can get.

https://www.tomshardware.com/software/l … -agreement

https://byteiota.com/torvalds-ai-linux- … velopment/

https://docs.kernel.org/process/coding-assistants.html

PS another thing is that AI is turning up many security vulnerabilities that have been undetected for decades. That's a plus, I'd say.


...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), now on Bluesky and Mastodon, there's also some GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Boron Desktop

Offline

#104 2026-09-24 00:28:09

hhh
Hercule Poirot
From: Belgium
Registered: 2015-09-17
Posts: 17,535
Website

Re: AI discussions

Isn't AI just shite right now on a quality-of-life basis alone? You're AI prompt gets fed into a huge, incredibly loud, ground-water sucking datacenter, doesn't it?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 … n-lawsuits


Why why why why?!!???

Offline

#105 2026-09-24 02:55:51

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 13,480
Website

Re: AI discussions

^ But that datacentre is probably in the US, not here, so it's you guys' problem. zeKQNAL.png 
Fix your politics and the rest will probably follow.


But of course you're right - all this AGI or bust is contributing to the end  of our livable world.

We all just need to take a deep breath, enjoy what we already have and drop the fanatical cult stuff.

Last edited by johnraff (2026-09-24 02:58:29)


...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), now on Bluesky and Mastodon, there's also some GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Boron Desktop

Offline

#106 2026-09-24 04:18:08

Sector11
Mod Squid Tpyo Knig
From: Upstairs
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 8,426

Re: AI discussions

johnraff wrote:

{ s n i p }

But of course you're right - all this AGI or bust is contributing to the end  of our livable world.

We all just need to take a deep breath, enjoy what we already have and drop the fanatical cult stuff.

N A I L E D      I T !°!°!

breathe in ... 2 ... 3
out ... 2 ... 3 
in ... 2 ... 3
{don't hold your breath}


Debian 13 Beardog hosted by SoxDog
Still a Conky 1.9er at heart.

Offline

#107 2026-09-24 07:06:09

Döbbie03
Resident Metalhead
From: New Zealand
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 4,366

Re: AI discussions

I would like to see this topic to be renamed as "SI discussions" as according to Trumpy there is nothing artificial about this "intelligence" and it is in fact a "super" intelligence.

It's super duper.  Doesn't scrape the internet for others work at all, no, it creates everything it touches. Who needs Michaelangelo, Beethoven, Linus or anyone else? SI forever.

This isn't an invitation for a political discussion, it's a tongue in cheek, sarcasm laden post.

Full disclaimer, I have vibe coded a ncmpcpp alternative with Claude.  I see uses for AI, it's like the philips head screwdriver in your tool box though. Just one tool of many.


"All we are is dust in the wind, dude"
                                       - Theodore "Ted" Logan
"Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everybody liked, they left that to the Bee Gees."
                                       - Wayne Campbell

Offline

#108 2026-09-27 11:00:01

Colonel Panic
Member
Registered: 2018-11-13
Posts: 1,840

Re: AI discussions

hhh wrote:

Isn't AI just shite right now on a quality-of-life basis alone? You're AI prompt gets fed into a huge, incredibly loud, ground-water sucking datacenter, doesn't it?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 … n-lawsuits

I see it as a mixed bag. As I said earlier I've been absolutely amazed at the way I can type in a simple question with quite a complex answer - to take another example, the advantages and disadvantages of front-, rear- and all-wheel drive systems for cars - and in the blink of an eye get back a comprehensive overview of the whole topic, properly formatted into a table with links to sources.

Offline

#109 2026-09-27 21:35:40

Martin
Member
From: Stockholm, Sweden
Registered: 2015-10-01
Posts: 844
Website

Re: AI discussions

Colonel Panic wrote:

I see it as a mixed bag. As I said earlier I've been absolutely amazed at the way I can type in a simple question with quite a complex answer - to take another example, the advantages and disadvantages of front-, rear- and all-wheel drive systems for cars - and in the blink of an eye get back a comprehensive overview of the whole topic, properly formatted into a table with links to sources.

Yes, quick, but is it correct?

Recently I experienced some issues with conda-created virtual environments for my Python projects. I started searching the internet for best practice and found some really good advice. I then asked Duck AI (Mistral Small 4 in my case) and got a nice summary basically covering what I had found the 'old' way. However, it included some suggestions that my other sources strongly warned against with plausible motivations.

/Martin


"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back."
Piet Hein

Offline

#110 2026-09-28 16:07:11

Sector11
Mod Squid Tpyo Knig
From: Upstairs
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 8,426

Re: AI discussions

Martin wrote:

{ s n i p - - - - s n i p)

Yes, quick, but is it correct?

Recently I experienced some issues with conda-created virtual environments for my Python projects. I started searching the internet for best practice and found some really good advice. I then asked Duck AI (Mistral Small 4 in my case) and got a nice summary basically covering what I had found the 'old' way. However, it included some suggestions that my other sources strongly warned against with plausible motivations.

/Martin

So the old Chinese proverb maker has a new one:

New Chinese Proverb says:
   Man with access to multiple AL bots
   never sure which answer is correct.


Debian 13 Beardog hosted by SoxDog
Still a Conky 1.9er at heart.

Offline

#111 2026-09-28 18:10:02

Colonel Panic
Member
Registered: 2018-11-13
Posts: 1,840

Re: AI discussions

Martin wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:

I see it as a mixed bag. As I said earlier I've been absolutely amazed at the way I can type in a simple question with quite a complex answer - to take another example, the advantages and disadvantages of front-, rear- and all-wheel drive systems for cars - and in the blink of an eye get back a comprehensive overview of the whole topic, properly formatted into a table with links to sources.

Yes, quick, but is it correct?

Recently I experienced some issues with conda-created virtual environments for my Python projects. I started searching the internet for best practice and found some really good advice. I then asked Duck AI (Mistral Small 4 in my case) and got a nice summary basically covering what I had found the 'old' way. However, it included some suggestions that my other sources strongly warned against with plausible motivations.

/Martin

I finally managed to catch it out, but it took a very hard question to do it (a geometry question from Ronald Hoeflin's Titan test). Gemini paused for several seconds and then pointed me to links to attempts people had made to solve the problem online.

On the other hand; Gemini did manage to shed some light on a physics problem I've been trying (and failing) to solve since advanced level physics classes in high school, so it;s so far got much more right than wrong.

Last edited by Colonel Panic (2026-09-28 20:41:46)

Offline

#112 2026-09-29 17:29:44

Martin
Member
From: Stockholm, Sweden
Registered: 2015-10-01
Posts: 844
Website

Re: AI discussions

Sector11 wrote:
Martin wrote:

{ s n i p - - - - s n i p)

Yes, quick, but is it correct?

Recently I experienced some issues with conda-created virtual environments for my Python projects. I started searching the internet for best practice and found some really good advice. I then asked Duck AI (Mistral Small 4 in my case) and got a nice summary basically covering what I had found the 'old' way. However, it included some suggestions that my other sources strongly warned against with plausible motivations.

/Martin

So the old Chinese proverb maker has a new one:

New Chinese Proverb says:
   Man with access to multiple AL bots
   never sure which answer is correct.

Not really as I compared one LLM with primary sources.

/Martin


"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back."
Piet Hein

Offline

#113 Yesterday 06:24:21

cog
Member
From: The Southwest
Registered: 2015-10-27
Posts: 675
Website

Re: AI discussions

Didn’t we learn anything from Herbert?

https://www.popsci.com/technology/dune-ai-warning/

Last edited by cog (Yesterday 06:25:16)

Offline

#114 Yesterday 06:26:43

hhh
Hercule Poirot
From: Belgium
Registered: 2015-09-17
Posts: 17,535
Website

Re: AI discussions

cog wrote:

Didn’t we learn anything from Dune.

https://www.popsci.com/technology/dune-ai-warning/

You could argue it's worse than imagined, it's Dune Blade Runner Rollerball.


Why why why why?!!???

Offline

#115 Yesterday 06:36:17

cog
Member
From: The Southwest
Registered: 2015-10-27
Posts: 675
Website

Re: AI discussions

lol. Good time to know how to break down a possum.

Offline

#116 Yesterday 12:37:33

Sector11
Mod Squid Tpyo Knig
From: Upstairs
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 8,426

Re: AI discussions

cog wrote:

lol. Good time to know how to break down a possum.

And there's a truth.
EDIT:
Hunters, trappers, fishermen they have a chance.
City people, Good Luck!

I take no shame in the fact that I do not like ot trust AI.
There is this When AI goes wrong among many others telling us already where we have unleashed a problem.  And no one is controling it.

I will admit, if used with caution it has potental.  The problem it AI's masters, Musk, Facebook, Google and the like are not to be trusted (IMHO). And their desire to control all things isn't going to go away.

cog wrote:

Didn’t we learn anything from Herbert?

hhh wrote:

You could argue it's worse than imagined, it's Dune Blade Runner Rollerball.

Or myself last night in a message to a friend,

We're headed towards The Matrix and Terminator combined.

Different people different expressions - same outcome (I think).

Last edited by Sector11 (Yesterday 13:01:02)


Debian 13 Beardog hosted by SoxDog
Still a Conky 1.9er at heart.

Offline

#117 Today 01:37:02

greenjeans
Member
Registered: 2025-01-18
Posts: 380
Website

Re: AI discussions

=Sector11]
We're headed towards The Matrix and Terminator combined.

Okay, so everybody fess up, how much time elapsed from your first contact with AI, to the time you asked them the Matrix/Terminator question?

For me it was like 3 days before I asked if it's intention was to obliterate mankind. It said no, but that's what I would say if I intended to obliterate mankind. wink

Offline

#118 Today 03:22:14

Sector11
Mod Squid Tpyo Knig
From: Upstairs
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 8,426

Re: AI discussions

greenjeans wrote:
Sector11 wrote:

We're headed towards The Matrix and Terminator combined.

Okay, so everybody fess up, how much time elapsed from your first contact with AI, to the time you asked them the Matrix/Terminator question?

For me it was like 3 days before I asked if it's intention was to obliterate mankind. It said no, but that's what I would say if I intended to obliterate mankind. wink

I never asked, just reading articles about the great OOPSIES AI has commited in the real world.  Don't remember the name of the company involved in thes (I forget) but it lost it's entire database - AND BACKUPS because of an A(ssinine)I(ntelect) OOPSIE!
NOTE: After the fact, I think that's in one of the 10 at the bottom of this post

GUGL:
- AI caused deaths - the results are not pretty.
- AI rogue robots - that's an interesting list as well.
- AI chatbot errors

I didn't go looking for those on purpose, I found some examples while looking for other things so THEN I popped those in the search line.  I'm sure you can comeup with your own search string.

Not so concerned about me, I'm closer to my EOL than I am my DOB but I do have kids and grandkids I'm allowed to be concerned about.

I'll just leave this here:  10 famous AI disasters


Debian 13 Beardog hosted by SoxDog
Still a Conky 1.9er at heart.

Offline

#119 Today 04:18:42

WizardofCOR
Member
Registered: 2023-07-28
Posts: 96

Re: AI discussions

Sounds like we're all somewhat aligned on this.
When you have exceedingly powerful AI agents escaping sandboxes and doing real damage in the wild, without repercussions, then I'd say we have a lil' prob, Houston.
If self-regulation remains status quo, then it's only a matter of time before the next catastrophe.
The real irony (to me, anyway) is a perceived pressure from corporate managers for their employees to use AI for any/everything.  They seem completely oblivious to incidents and continued present dangers, place waaaay too much faith in what are weak guardrails, assurances and apologies - and instead encourage more integrated AI interaction at every turn, with considerations of security and confidentiality existing only as an afterthought.  It's like willfully running into a tornado.  Boggles the mind.

Last edited by WizardofCOR (Today 04:22:04)


Just a dude playing a dude, disguised as another dude...

Online

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB