You are not logged in.

#526 2016-01-02 00:31:08

C#Coder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Yeah, I have a quad-core AMD laptop... my new laptop and even your laptop can run circles around it, even though they're dual cores.

Peripheral, SBC, and router addict lmao
Keeb & SSD Discussions | GitLab

#527 2016-01-02 00:32:45

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

C#Coder4ever wrote:

Yeah, I have a quad-core AMD laptop... my new laptop and even your laptop can run circles around it, even though they're dual cores.

Strange how that happens.

I like my Metal like my coffee.......Black!
Resident Metalhead Poser

#528 2016-01-02 00:37:26

C#Coder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll

Dobbie03 wrote:
C#Coder4ever wrote:

a more stranger example is how at my father's work, his 6-core e5 xeon is slower than the quad-core e3 xeon he has, at least when it comes to the single threaded activities.

Just amazing how that works out, but I wouldn't mind a 6-core server sad ... and terabytes and terabytes of SSD space within lol

#529 2016-01-02 00:47:14

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

C#Coder4ever wrote:
Dobbie03 wrote:
C#Coder4ever wrote:

a more stranger example is how at my father's work, his 6-core e5 xeon is slower than the quad-core e3 xeon he has, at least when it comes to the single threaded activities.

Just amazing how that works out, but I wouldn't mind a 6-core server sad ... and terabytes and terabytes of SSD space within lol

Is that because of the OS being run on your Fathers computer?

I wouldn't mind a new main PC.....I'll have to be patient.

I like my Metal like my coffee.......Black!
Resident Metalhead Poser

#530 2016-01-02 01:31:45

C#Coder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll

Dobbie03 wrote:
C#Coder4ever wrote:
Dobbie03 wrote:

Is that because of the OS being run on your Fathers computer?

I wouldn't mind a new main PC.....I'll have to be patient.

Partially yes ( cause' windows ), but since he helps with the development of transcoding software, it makes sense

#531 2016-01-09 22:59:22

lowrider

playoffs, baby
chiefs @ texans
hoping for 99 and the second half

#532 2016-01-10 00:03:22

lowrider

lowrider wrote:

playoffs, baby
chiefs @ texans
hoping for 99 and the second half

O my... sad

Last edited by lowrider (2016-01-10 00:03:53)

#533 2016-01-10 21:38:15

C#Coder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll

wow, 2 IPS monitors in one shot, I think my BL station is officially complete monkey

#534 2016-01-10 21:57:09

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

^ Scrots or it didn't happen...
monkey

EDIT: Hold on, that doesn't make any sense ops

I meant this thread, of course:
https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=219

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#535 2016-01-10 22:12:13

C#Coder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll

Will do lol

#536 2016-01-11 10:06:34

twoion
ほやほや

Firefox is definitely going down the drain. Versions after 43 have tab groups removed, and now Nightly has this kind of profile manager:

2016-01-11-185500_880x587_scrot.th.png

A fool who doesn't recognize the usability improvements over the classical version. Current Mozilla only works on making the fox fancier! I must be a fool, because somehow the old design looks infinitely better and more accessible to me:

2016-01-11-185845_440x299_scrot.th.png

Completely moronic re-'design'.

Soon FF will just be a more unstable edition of Chromium: Same dumb 'modern' UI, same dumb old spying on users by default (hello, pocket!), just as little power-user features built-in, power-user features and addons ripped out (signed addons required, deprecated APIs) ...sad, sad indeed. It's like they don't want anybody to use that browser anymore.

Tempra la cetra e canta

#537 2016-01-11 23:36:16

Anaconda
crypto-anarchist

Mozilla ruined the search box in Firefox quite a while back. I've been editing about:config to fix the problem but now in the newest version that no longer works.

For someone who used the search box in a "power user" kind of way, with a rather long list of search engines, this was the worst change they ever forced on us by far. I'm far from the only person who thinks this. When I searched for a solution to the problem there were many others saying "worst change ever". Mozilla seems to not care. sad

“The university is well structured, well tooled, to turn out people with all the sharp edges worn off...." Mario Savio
"Protections for anonymous speech are vital to democratic discourse". Help enforce our right to free and anonymous speech by running a Tor relay.

#538 2016-01-12 02:44:22

johnraff
nullglob
Website

For some time I've been relying on Firefox entensions like 'Classic Theme Restorer', 'Status-4-evar', 'Restore Open_External'... in a desperate effort to keep the usable browser I had grown to love...

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#539 2016-01-12 17:03:37

nore
>2⁹

twoion wrote:

Same dumb 'modern' UI

Modern: more wasted space on smaller and continually shrinking screens.
"If you want to proceed, hit the screen with your fist."

#540 2016-01-13 08:14:17

ohnonot
...again
Website

nore wrote:

lol.
yes, easier to find yout way with your thumbs than with your mouse.

so, where do we go?
i'm following the browser of the year poll on LQ; it seems palemoon has gained some traction, many people admit on using it. at the beginning it seemed just a "classic ui" branch, but maybe there's also efforts to prevent the general direction ff is going? (this forum thread just petered out...)

and what are the best chromium branches out there?
i've installed inox, it's a little scary because it looks just like chromium, but the guy doing it seems earnest. sadly, it seems to be an archlinux thing.

and vivaldi?
i don't know why, but i'm not very convinced by it.

#541 2016-01-13 14:29:26

tknomanzr
BL Die Hard

Firefox used to be my second download on any Windows based system, right behind virus protection. For some time, i have not been so impressed with it, to the point that I would rather live with Google data mining me than actually use Firefox.

#542 2016-01-13 15:50:09

C#Coder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll

nore wrote:
twoion wrote:

Same dumb 'modern' UI

unfortunately true lolol

#543 2016-01-13 18:12:25

ohnonot
...again
Website

tknomanzr wrote:

I would rather live with Google data mining me than actually use Firefox.

"Generation G"  devil

...no, i wouldn't quite go that far yet.
anyhow the bigger concern seems to be that firefox might indeed be going in a similar direction - or that all major browsers are going in the same direction...

#544 2016-01-16 22:03:39

pvsage
Internal Affairs

In regards to a discussion we had in the films thread after I posted about Premium Rush, I just wanted to clarify that I in no way condone cyclist-on-vehicle vandalism or endorse the kind of aggressive cycling depicted in the movie.  Cyclists should always follow the rules of the road (and under North Carolina law are expected to), and I do this to the best of my ability given the roads that I ride.*  This includes riding in the right-most thru lane when there is a right-turn-only lane.  (Many drivers here don't understand this, so I often have to stay on the shoulder through an intersection with a turning lane; it's a judgement call based on my relative safety and risk with traffic.)  Lane splitting as depicted in the movie is one of the easiest ways to get yourself seriously dead.

* There is one cluster of intersections on my homeward commute that I bypass because it involves two left turns across both left and right turning lanes in each direction.  Strictly following the rules of the road would have me either sitting at protected left turn signals (where many motorists don't want to see a bicycle) or crossing each intersection on the right twice (once to get to the outside corner, again to complete the left turn), so I usually jump across the median to go through a parking lot.  This is always late at night when there is little traffic, so going through the lot is the safest option.

Be excellent to each other, and...party on, dudes!
BunsenLabs Forum Rules
Tending and defending the Flame since 2009

#545 2016-01-16 22:13:15

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

pvsage wrote:

It's called "filtering", I really can't believe it's illegal in some US states yikes

When I started working as a motorcycle courier, I was told filtering was a requirement of the job.

London is now moving towards wholesale segregation of the cycle paths, which is a good thing.

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#546 2016-01-16 23:15:12

C#Coder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll

I wish it would be illegal in my state... bikers that do that scare the willies out of me, and I already have a hard enough time driving a vehicle.

Anywho, HoaS, setup pic posted monkey

#547 2016-01-17 09:06:42

ohnonot
...again
Website

pvsage, why are you even justifying yourself?

i see it this way:
many - most - traffic rules are designed with large, slow reaction, and, most of all, really dangerous cars in mind.
now i don't promote road anarchy! but if i can safely cut corners, why shouldn't i?
this is a bit of a rhethorical question - of course i am still required to follow these rules, by law, but i really don't have any moral qualms about it (except when children are watching).

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

London is now moving towards wholesale segregation of the cycle paths, which is a good thing.

totally.
first time i visited the netherlands (they treat cyclists as a whole third group of traffic participants) i felt a bit weirded out by all these cycle roads (and i mean real, seperate roads) and even traffic lights, but if the alternative are things like this (*) - i am totally for it.

(*) you see how the sidewalk is seperated with a measly white line, cycles on the left? that in itself is less than ideal (just imagine your average smartphone user or granny walking there) - also the zebra crossing just ends before the cycle road, nobody knows the priorities there.
but then, just before the bus stop, which is smack in the middle of the sidewalk, the urban planners got cold feet and interrupted the white line! and if you look sharply, you can see how it continues afterwards.
things like this are unfortuately very common hereabouts. it creates bad blood between cyclists and all other traffic participants - we don't belong anywhere.

#548 2016-01-17 14:43:27

photonucleon
Thursday

So, the Christmas holidays are over, but on the bright side, no crazy exam study until the end of this semester... so I have some time to tinker with BL! big_smile (And get properly back into the forums, of course).

So I just bought an old Eee PC on impulse from ebay... and of course I threw BL on it (it came with WinXP). It's a tad slow at times (but then again, it does have a mechanical HDD, and I'm used to SSD speeds these days, ahaha tongue ), and it seems to be intact other than a slightly cracked lid.

Anyways, I hope I haven't missed too much while I've been rather inactive over the last couple months or so...?

The servant lifted off a kind of ottoman a long peacock-blue drapery, rather of the nature of a domino, on the front of which was emblazoned a large golden sun, and which was splashed here and there with flaming stars and crescents. “You’re to be dressed as Thursday, sir,” said the valet somewhat affably.

#549 2016-01-17 14:47:44

damo
....moderator....

photonucleon wrote:

Anyways, I hope I haven't missed too much while I've been rather inactive over the last couple months or so...?

We decorated the club lounge (blue details to brighten the gray), and Mrs.Sector11 made some nice coasters for the coffee cups.

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#550 2016-01-17 15:01:02

Horizon_Brave
Operating System: Linux-Nettrix

photonucleon wrote:

So, the Christmas holidays are over, but on the bright side, no crazy exam study until the end of this semester...

I remember those days...I miss being in school, I really do. If money/time weren't an issue, I'd go back for my Masters. Anyway welcome back to the forum! You haven't missed much, BL RC2 is on it's way to go live

"I have not failed, I have found 10,000 ways that will not work" -Edison

Board footer