You are not logged in.

#1 2015-12-04 08:27:17

johnraff
nullglob
Website

[DONE]bl-alternatives auto-configured apps lists

The bl-alternatives script will automatically add some apps to the Debian alternatives groups for each of
bl-file-manager
bl-image-viewer
bl-media-player
bl-text editor
if it detects one of the apps on the list has been installed. If the previous app is then uninstalled the remaining app with the highest priority will be automatically (by Debian this time) set as the alternative. (Debian already handles x-terminal-editor and x-www-browser.)

If you look in /usr/bin/bl-alternatives you will see the current apps lists are:

Alternative                Default          Other auto-configured apps

bl-file-manager                thunar               pcmanfm spacefm nautilus
bl-image-viewer               mirage                eog eom viewnior
bl-media-player                vlc                     banshee dragonplayer gnome-mplayer kaffeine parole smplayer totem
bl-text editor                   geany                 emacs gedit jedit kate leafpad mousepad scite

caja and xfe have already been suggested to add to the bl-file-manager list.
Are there any other apps that people think should also be supported for auto-adding to the alternatives? Or any that should be removed?

Remember, we are talking about GUI apps that can be drop-in substitutes for the bl... series. Apps that are more for advanced users and need some setting-up anyway should be left off these lists, I think, as should text-based apps.

Last edited by johnraff (2016-01-05 03:45:52)

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#2 2015-12-04 09:43:27

Snap

Re: [DONE]bl-alternatives auto-configured apps lists

Good to know. Thanks, johnraff.

#3 2015-12-04 15:23:21

tknomanzr
BL Die Hard

I have been thinking that the whole bl-alternatives help file you wrote deserves to be a man page as that was the first thing I thought of when I ran into trouble with it. If I find the time, I will attempt to write one up based on your text help file. Coincidentally, the whole problem I was having with bl-alternatives turned out to be PEBCAK. However, it was not immediately apparent as to where to find the help file for it. I really recommend a man page for it as most of us are trained to go looking there first.

I use gxine as my media player. I have been considering a split, however, so I can create a .desktop entry for moc and add it as my music player while keeping gxine as my media player.

Additionally, if I ever get the time to finish the script, feh will become my main image browser as well as wallpaper setter. I am attempting to use yad to create a dialog that can be linked from a hotkey set in the feh image browser to set an image as a wallpaper on one or more of my multi-monitors. I just haven't had the time in a week or so to sit down and work on the wallpaper setting script. Considering that I am really trying to make myself stick with bash for this script, it will likely come more slowly than if I were to use python.

Last edited by tknomanzr (2015-12-04 15:25:58)

#4 2015-12-04 15:32:32

Sector11

RE: bl-text editor

I'd like to toss medit to the mix (http://postimg.org/image/obufy653d/)

#5 2015-12-05 00:26:19

KrunchTime

^ +1  I discovered medit back when I began using #! again in 2012.

#6 2015-12-05 02:34:47

hhh
Meep!
Website

tknomanzr wrote:

I have been thinking that the whole bl-alternatives help file you wrote deserves to be a man page as that was the first thing I thought of when I ran into trouble with it. If I find the time, I will attempt to write one up based on your text help file. Coincidentally, the whole problem I was having with bl-alternatives turned out to be PEBCAK. However, it was not immediately apparent as to where to find the help file for it. I really recommend a man page for it as most of us are trained to go looking there first.

I use gxine as my media player. I have been considering a split, however, so I can create a .desktop entry for moc and add it as my music player while keeping gxine as my media player.

Additionally, if I ever get the time to finish the script, feh will become my main image browser as well as wallpaper setter. I am attempting to use yad to create a dialog that can be linked from a hotkey set in the feh image browser to set an image as a wallpaper on one or more of my multi-monitors. I just haven't had the time in a week or so to sit down and work on the wallpaper setting script. Considering that I am really trying to make myself stick with bash for this script, it will likely come more slowly than if I were to use python.

@tknomanzr, +1,000 to your first paragraph, and the whole quote. If BL is going to thrive, it requires help from people like you.

#7 2015-12-05 06:53:27

Snap

I'd like to toss medit to the mix

Medit is darn good. I used it for a long while. I switched to geany because I'm trying to learn python and geany is a bit... better? Maybe this is not the right word. More versatile for programing... or something like that. For general purpose, Medit is fantastic.

+1, of course.

@tknomanzr, +1,000 to your first paragraph, and the whole quote. If BL is going to thrive, it requires help from people like you.

Add another thousand.

#8 2015-12-05 08:22:15

johnraff
nullglob
Website

So, so far
bl-file-manager  + caja, xfe
bl-media-player + gxine
bl-text-editor + medit

...still listening. smile

And @tknomanzr thanks for another helpful post.
Documentation is a topic coming up for more thought now that the system itself is starting to take shape.
A new topic coming soon. (Or feel free to start it of course, in  Development & Suggestions)

#9 2015-12-19 03:06:23

johnraff
nullglob
Website

No problems if I add gpicview to the image-viewer options? It used to be the #! default I seem to recall, comes from lxde and is light enough.

#10 2015-12-19 12:49:39

Sector11

none here.

#11 2015-12-22 02:51:06

johnraff
nullglob
Website

OK added.

Board footer