You are not logged in.

#41 2018-04-06 02:17:44

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Re: Dynamic menus on BunsenLabs - a comprehensive guide

openbox-menu is a package which is needed for parts IV and V to work. It doesn't come with BL by default, although openbox suggests it. "The openbox menu" and "openbox-menu" are two different things. smile

Agreed, jgmenu looks very interesting, and once BL Helium is out I plan to play with it a bit...

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#42 2018-04-07 17:57:04

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

^Indeed, thank you for mentioning that package, I will add it above. I was thinking it comes by default with the menu. It turns out that openbox-menu is originally for LXDE and it is from the lxde-team. Interestingly the lxde menu still needs lxmenu-data (for building the menu), while the KDE or Gnome menu does not need anything else (leaving me wonder how it comes that their structure is "part" of debian already.) This was originaly an interesting finding for me, as a dynamic menu structure has been available without any further package (apart from openbox-menu) by simply putting those lines in menu.xml.

There is a good description on gentoo: "The menu.xml file contains information for the right-click menus in Openbox. By default the right click menu is predefined with some common applications, so unless the applications are installed on the system most of the default links on the menu will not be operational. Dynamic generation: An application called openbox-menu can be used to dynamically generate new Openbox right click menus based off information defined in the /etc/xdg/menus directory. After the menu generator has been installed, run the following command to create a new menu for the present user: openbox-menu." <- Tried it, pasted the output in menu.xml, but it wasn't the menu I expected...

It's interesting to notice that since version 3.5.0 Openbox is able to have icons next to menu entries. Have not seen so far a dynamic (root) menu with icons (not something like an Application submenu) with openbox-menu. Obmenu-generator and jgmenu have those features available though.

Last edited by martix (2018-04-07 18:16:20)

#43 2018-06-15 18:00:29

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

devnull wrote:

Hi martix,
yes, after those steps everything works perfectly and I must say I agree, with paper icons it looks gorgeous!
Maybe we can just write in the OP that the HoaS repos is out of date?

@HoaS As the created package was based on v0.66 and meanwhile obmenu-generator reached v0.84, I simply removed the insturctions pointing to the outdated package.

Also bl-obmenu-generator was updated to obmenu-generator's recent version and I tweaked schema.pl according to the Paper and Papirus icon themes. The OP was updated accordingly. With bl-obmenu-generator everything works out-of-the-box, every icon is there and changing from the Paper icon theme to Papirus requires an update of schema.pl by running:

cp ~/.config/bl-obmenu-generator/schema.pl ~/.config/bl-obmenu-generator/schema.pl.bak && sed -i '/Preferences/s/preferences-other/preferences-desktop/g' ~/.config/bl-obmenu-generator/schema.pl && sed -i '/menu.xml/s/text-editor/menu-editor/g' ~/.config/bl-obmenu-generator/schema.pl && sed -i '/schema.pl/s/text-editor/menu-editor/g' ~/.config/bl-obmenu-generator/schema.pl && sed -i '/bl-text-editor/s/package_editors/cs-windows/g' ~/.config/bl-obmenu-generator/schema.pl && sed -i '/bl-text-editor/s/hexedit/text-editor/g' ~/.config/bl-obmenu-generator/schema.pl && sed -i '/obconf/s/gtk-preferences/preferences-desktop-tweaks/g' ~/.config/bl-obmenu-generator/schema.pl && sed -i '/bl-compositor/s/window-new/Xfwm4CompositeEditor/g' ~/.config/bl-obmenu-generator/schema.pl && sed -i '/gmrun/s/system-run/application-x-phatch/g' ~/.config/bl-obmenu-generator/schema.pl

It looks really nice with Papirus theme (screenshot with Paper icon theme is in the OP):

bl_obmenu_generatorpapirusiconthemebunsendarkhe.png

Somehow that screenshot with xfce4-screenshooter does not offer the best image quality...

Edit: There is now an optional dependency for (bl-)obmenu-generator called perl-file-desktopentry (File::DesktopEntry). If it is installed, (bl-)obmenu-generator will use it to provide locale support. In which cases is it actually useful? I just did not try this feature yet and I'm not sure what it is about.

Last edited by martix (2018-06-15 18:27:49)

#44 2018-07-31 02:01:04

hhh
Colonel Robert Neville
Website

Bump, because I just linked to this thread from another post, and because this thread is EPIC.

Thanks again, martin. Cheers!

You know, you used to be a nice guy once.

#45 2018-09-09 16:16:39

MALsPa

This is a great thread. I like how the LXDE Applications menu is used in SalentOS; the info in post #2 helped me to add that menu to Openbox in my Stretch installations. I don't normally use "dynamic" menus in Openbox, but they're nice to have.

#46 2018-09-27 21:21:22

Badboi

Hey matrix,
Can you readd the instructions for installation of Obmenu-generator through Trizen's git repository? It helped me quite a lot when it was there. I even had this page bookmarked even tho I installed archlinux and I'm pretty sure it would also be useful for people who don't use debian based distros.

Last edited by Badboi (2018-09-28 07:36:44)

#47 2018-11-22 19:10:45

peterk

Hello,
Maybe already answer but with obmenu-generator - How can I change the font size?
I used to edit the rc.xml and even the .gtkrc-2.0.
Thanks.

#48 2018-11-22 19:42:34

ohnonot
...again

peterk wrote:

Hello,
Maybe already answer but with obmenu-generator - How can I change the font size?

you can't.
you can edit rc.xml directly:

<theme>
(...)
    <font place="MenuHeader">
      <name>Sans</name>
      <size>11</size>
      <!-- font size in points -->
      <weight>Bold</weight>
      <!-- 'normal' or 'normal' -->
      <slant>Normal</slant>
      <!-- 'italic' or 'normal' -->
    </font>
    <font place="MenuItem">
      <name>Sans</name>
      <size>10</size>
      <weight>Normal</weight>
      <slant>Normal</slant>
    </font>
(...)
</theme>

or you can use

obconf

to adjust the font size.

#49 2018-11-22 22:15:03

malm
jgmenu developer
Website

@peterk obmenu-generator produces xml data (e.g. labels, commands and icon paths)

The graphics is done by the openbox menu.

#50 2018-11-22 22:38:21

peterk

Hi,
@ohnonot
@malm
I was messing around with lxappearance and not obconf,
Works great!!
Thanks for the reply.

#51 2018-12-11 20:45:21

peterk

Hello again,
I'm using the regular not bl obmenu-generator and I'm having a lot of duplicate apps entries -  How can I solve this:
- The config.pl only pulls stuff form one place: /usr/share/applications
- I have changed the app.desktop file categories but it updates and voilá here I go again.
- The old/regular openbox menu works without this problem.

thanks

#52 2018-12-11 21:25:10

malm
jgmenu developer
Website

Is it krita by any chance?

Have you got any .desktop files in ~/.local/share/applications/

What are your XDG* environment variables set to? I.e. are you including any other desktop files?

#53 2018-12-13 07:15:46

ohnonot
...again

peterk wrote:

I'm using the regular not bl obmenu-generator and I'm having a lot of duplicate apps entries -  How can I solve this:
- The config.pl only pulls stuff form one place: /usr/share/applications

ok.
you could still show us that file, long with schema.pl

I have changed the app.desktop file categories but it updates and voilá here I go again.

what's that?

btw, mine has both /usr/share/applications and $ENV{HOME}/.local/share/applications in config.pl, and i still don't see any duplicate entries.

#54 2019-02-13 08:36:37

hhh
Colonel Robert Neville
Website

@martix

bl-obmenu-generator issue in buster/lithium

All the "System" menu items call gksu, which is deprecated in favor of pkexec in buster. Changing the commands in schema.pl fixes it, i.e. from gksu synaptic to pkexec synaptic.

blob-gen is great, thanks!

You know, you used to be a nice guy once.

#55 2022-05-15 19:27:46

CSO

sorry for bumping an old thread but i follow step by step the tutorial and i can not make bl menu switch to work. Also may i ask how can put the Applications directly and not like sub-categories in the menu as the OP starter screenshot ?

#56 2022-05-16 10:20:43

rbh

CSO wrote:

sorry for bumping an old thread but i follow step by step the tutorial and i can not make bl menu switch to work.

Often it can be a bad idea to follow very old instructions. Current BunsenLabs Lithium use jgmenu as default. Jgmenu, is dynamic, but you can add static links and pipemenus.
You find good guidance of the jgmenu in post Basic Introduction to jgmenu on BL Lithium and the tutorials on jgmenu inn section Tutorials.

There is no thing like "bl menu". Bunsenlabs has jgmenu as default menu. Before jgmenu, defult menu was Openbox menu. I do not understand "bl menu switch".

Also may i ask how can put the Applications directly and not like sub-categories in the menu as the OP starter screenshot ?

That question is impossible to answer without more precise information. Which BL-version and menu du you have now?

If you don't have lithium or beryllium with jgmenu, I advice you to backup and reinstall, make a clean reinstallation. Then, read on jgmenu and run the jgmenu tutor.

EDIT (johnraff): fixed broken link to "Basic Introduction to jgmenu on BL Lithium".

Last edited by johnraff (2022-05-17 01:52:09)

// Regards rbh

Please read before requesting help: Guide to getting help,
Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

Board footer