You are not logged in.

#1 2022-04-20 10:57:04

agape

How to upgrade from 10.5 Lithium to 11 (bullseye) or testing (rolling)

Hi

I have bunsenlab installed in virtual box on my work windows machine. I have it conifigured with shared folder and clipboard.

I would like to update from stable (10.5) to a bit more 'bleeding' edge. Is there are guide on how to do that? Is it as simple as changing some lines in `/etc/apt-sources`?

Thank you in advance

#2 2022-04-20 11:03:48

sleekmason
zoom
Website

Re: How to upgrade from 10.5 Lithium to 11 (bullseye) or testing (rolling)

Here is the guide for updating to Debian 11, Bullseye, Beryllium system. https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=7356

My understanding is that there will also be a beta ISO for Beryllium coming out soon.

#3 2022-04-20 11:23:58

agape

Thank you @zoom. In my virtual box on my work machine, I have doubts a netinstall will work. But if there are no other ways around it... I guess I will have to find time.

But I do seem to remember, that I at some point many years ago simple changed "stable" to "testing" and then updated. I think that gave me a rolling system which was solid for years.

Thanks again though.

#4 2022-04-20 19:59:51

rbh

agape wrote:

Thank you @zoom. In my virtual box on my work machine, I have doubts a netinstall will work. But if there are no other ways around it... I guess I will have to find time.

Whith Debian Linux/Bunsenlabs, there seldom is only one way...

But I do seem to remember, that I at some point many years ago simple changed "stable" to "testing" and then updated. I think that gave me a rolling system which was solid for years.

If you have system based on Old Bunsenlabs(Helium)/Oldstable Debian (10, buster) and you wants to run newer system, you can choose between backup data, make total reinstall and copy back data or upgrade sources.
Here is old tutor for: Upgrading from Helium to Lithium.
You can use that but change source for "buster" to "bullseye".

I prefer to use version names (like "buster") instead of descriptive names like "stable".
Note that you can not jump over one version. You can not go from buster, debian 10 (oldstable), direct to bullseye (debian 12, testing).

Both Lithium and Beryllium works well with both current Debian stable, testing and unstable.

If you upgrade, read up on BL script "bl-user-setup". I prefer to run it after upgrade and after examine which of my own configs I ant to keep.

// Regards rbh

Please read before requesting help: Guide to getting help,
Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

#5 2022-04-20 20:13:09

rbh

agape wrote:

In my virtual box on my work machine, I have doubts a netinstall will work. But if there are no other ways around it... I guess I will have to find time.

I doubt that your company has blocked https protocol...
But, you can install an Virtualbox VM at any computer. export it as an ova-file, copy it to usb-stick/hd and import it on work pc.
Or, you can boot GRML, run command "grml-debootstrap", giving adress source to local debian iso.

// Regards rbh

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

#6 2022-04-20 20:17:29

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

Debian's guide to upgrading from 10 (Buster)
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/ … ading.html
It's not quite as bad as that looks, but it makes the backup install fresh & restore personal data look more attractive.

Especially when you might hit issues with changing sources for the Bunsen repos also.

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#7 2022-04-21 00:49:05

rbh

Bearded_Blunder wrote:

Especially when you might hit issues with changing sources for the Bunsen repos also.

I can not recall ever hitting issues when upgrading.And I have some boxes that was installed with BL Hydrogen/Jessie...

But sometimes it can be better to start with fresh machine...

// Regards rbh

#8 2022-04-21 01:06:13

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

rbh wrote:

I can not recall ever hitting issues when upgrading.And I have some boxes that was installed with BL Hydrogen/Jessie...

I hit some upgrading stepping through from Hydrogen.. then again, you probably did yours nearer the time, whereas I only started upgrading that one a couple of months back.  Where it broke most spectacularly was going Buster > Bullseye.

I ended up just reverting the snapshot & leaving it running Buster, need to replace it anyhow, it runs 24/7 doing what I run it for but I'd rather it was 64bit. I recon changing from 32bit to 64 calls for a reinstall...

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

Board footer