You are not logged in.

#21 2022-02-13 21:02:23

Colonel Panic

Re: spectrwm (my config)

I'm currently experimenting with changing the window decorations because now that I have a bigger monitor, I can afford to give up a small amount of screen real estate in exchange for a big improvement in the ease of seeing which of the windows on the screen is in focus. This is my best result so far;

# Window Decoration
border_width = 6
color_focus		= rgb:7f/ff/00 #Chartreuse1
color_unfocus		= rgb:2e/8b/57 #SeaGreen4
tile_gap = 4

I've also moved the bar to the top of the screen, changed the bar border colours to a darker colour, SeaGreen4 (the same as that of the unfocused window border) as this enables the window in focus to "stand out" more, and also the bar font;

# PLEASE READ THE MAN PAGE BEFORE EDITING THIS FILE #

# Important
# Mod key, (Windows key is Mod4) (Apple key on OSX is Mod2)
modkey = Mod4

# Workspaces and Layout
workspace_limit = 10 # I don't need more than this.

# Changes to Defaults
# The next two entries replace the default Mod+Space. Why? By default, this command cycles between the different layouts (vertical, horizontal, full screen). I seldom need to do this whereas I very frequently need to alternate the focus between main and stack. So I set Mod+Space to toggle focus_main and use Mod+c to cycle the layout.
bind[focus_main] = Mod+space
bind[cycle_layout] = Mod+c

# Other (minor) changes to defaults
bind[] = Mod+Shift+Delete # I don't need to lock the screen and I want to avoid doing so accidentally, so disable the default.

# Window Decoration
border_width = 6
color_focus = rgb:7f/ff/00 #Chartreuse1
color_unfocus = rgb:2e/8b/57 #SeaGreen4
tile_gap = 4

# Bar Settings
bar_enabled = 1
bar_border_width = 6
bar_border[1] = rgb:2e/8b/57 #SeaGreen4
bar_border_unfocus[1] = rgb:2e/8b/57 #SeaGreen4
bar_font_color[1] = whitesmoke
bar_font = Terminus:style=Regular:pixelsize=18:antialias=true
bar_format = %a %b %d %R +S +F +L +V
bar_at_bottom = 0

# Miscellaneous
iconic_enabled = 1 # occasionally useful

# Programs
program[term] = xterm

# Quirks
quirk[Xsane:xsane] = FLOAT + ANYWHERE
quirk[Gimp:gimp] = FLOAT + ANYWHERE

I can see why spectrwm is Anthony Campbell's favourite window manager; it's so easy both to configure and to apply a changed configuration on the fly.

Last edited by Colonel Panic (2022-03-16 18:46:34)

#22 2022-04-05 13:02:05

Colonel Panic

Re: spectrwm (my config)

Further acquaintance with spectrwm has revealed a couple of snags and shortcomings compared to other tiling WMs. For example, the workspace tags aren't clickable as they are in dwm and i3, and when you move an application window to another workspace, any windows that you "spawn" from the application window will open in the original workspace that the application window was in rather than in the new workspace.

Still very usable though, and I will continue to use it; it's just that I won't be giving up on dwm, i3 or any other window manager for its sake. The search for the ideal tiling manager (if there is such a thing) goes on.

Last edited by Colonel Panic (2022-04-12 20:23:00)

Board footer