You are not logged in.

#1 2022-03-22 10:59:21

ab90

D-Link DWA-131 | Can it hotspot/ap?

Hey there,
i was browsing for the answer whether this device D-Link DWA 131 can be used to broadcast wifi instead of receiving it; i mean the hotspot/access point function...
Couldnt find an answer, only flat product descriptions :-/
Maybe someone can finds such an info within a few seconds i hope..
Kind regards

"Be humble, be cool, dance techno-style to heavy metal music."

#2 2022-03-26 20:33:00

twoion
-

Re: D-Link DWA-131 | Can it hotspot/ap?

ab90 wrote:

Hey there,
i was browsing for the answer whether this device D-Link DWA 131 can be used to broadcast wifi instead of receiving it; i mean the hotspot/access point function...
Couldnt find an answer, only flat product descriptions :-/
Maybe someone can finds such an info within a few seconds i hope..
Kind regards

If you search

"dwa-131" "hostapd"

you'll find more information. hostapd is the software used to basically create wifi APs on literally any Linux system (including Android phones and proprietary APs like Ubiquity). Information seems to be conflicting though I think the trend is towards "no".

If you already have one of those perhaps looking at the output of "iw dev <the wireless interface> info" it'll dump the capabilities of the device.

Though if you really want a AP so bad I suggest getting a high-quality AP such as TP-LINK EAP225 or UAP AC-Lite. The EAP225 supports the FOSS OpenWRT firmware as well (I have one).

#3 2022-03-26 22:54:49

ab90

Hi twoion,
thank you for your reply. I dont own it yet, so i cant check.
I guess my next search will be "PCI wifi card" + "hostapd" or "PCI express x1 slot" + "hostapd" ...
as i dont want to get more machines and i only need it for a small room. its just tricky to predict for me when looking through second hand products and their respective product description are not comprehensive enough.
Thank you

"Be humble, be cool, dance techno-style to heavy metal music."

#4 2022-03-27 11:36:09

twoion
-

ab90 wrote:

Hi twoion,
thank you for your reply. I dont own it yet, so i cant check.
I guess my next search will be "PCI wifi card" + "hostapd" or "PCI express x1 slot" + "hostapd" ...
as i dont want to get more machines and i only need it for a small room. its just tricky to predict for me when looking through second hand products and their respective product description are not comprehensive enough.
Thank you

If you have a stash to choose from you can just grab some Intel WIFI cards. Those have a good feature set and have comprehensive documentation on ark.intel.com regarding their capabilities, and are available in a variety of form factors ranging from PCIe slots on desktop mainboards to M.2 slots on laptops. If you can land an Intel WIFI 6 AX <model number here> you're almost guaranteed to be set for any use case. This kind of Intel card should also be available in large used quantities because enterprise computers tend to have them.

#5 2022-03-28 13:11:27

kozimodo

If your computer already has a WiFi adapter, you might want to check out https://github.com/lakinduakash/linux-wifi-hotspot.  You can use it to share internet using the same incoming WiFi adapter.  Works with Intel based WiFi adapters.  Worked with rt73usb but not well.

Board footer