You are not logged in.

#1 2022-01-26 07:36:30

fraxoz

How to remove GTK3 and sync everything to Openbox?

I was wondering how to remove GTK3 in a non-damaging way for the system. I wanted to do that so that I could run on less memory and have a clear system.
If not possible to remove it in such way, how can I customize the current GTK theme?

#2 2022-01-26 14:16:13

sleekmason
zoom
Website

Re: How to remove GTK3 and sync everything to Openbox?

If the objective is to help with your memory footprint, removing gtk-3.0 would do little other than cause issues.  However, you can certainly pick and choose your applications based on what they use, and the amount of memory they use.  For instance, Thunar uses gtk-3.0, but pcmanfm/spacefm do not, and both are full featured lightweight file managers.

Just having gtk-3.0 themes installed won't make your system any slower.

There are other ways to decrease your footprint as well like changing to the bfq scheduler, turning off the compositor (Compton) and any running conkys or daemons you don't want or need.

For changing the theme, you can indeed hack the colors if you want to do so, but it might be easier to simply grab another theme if you are not happy with the one you are using.

There can be differences in the memory footprint of the themes as well if they use gradients throughout, or other items that slowdown the initialization of the theme however minor the delay.

Everything combined can and will make a difference.  Even the size of your wallpaper image can slow things down.

Something in particular about the theme that causes you issues? Some things can be changed pretty easily depending.

As for Openbox, are you talking about switching the menu back from jgmenu? Jgmenu really is the better option, and can be customized as well in ~/.config/jgmenu/jgmenurc You can also switch back to using the Openbox menu if you want, though I am unsure of the steps for Bunsen Labs.

To just see/try the Openbox menu, try Ctrl + Alt + q to pull it up.

#3 2022-01-27 05:33:22

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Re: How to remove GTK3 and sync everything to Openbox?

sleekmason wrote:

You can also switch back to using the Openbox menu if you want, though I am unsure of the steps for Bunsen Labs.

To just see/try the Openbox menu, try Ctrl + Alt + q to pull it up.

And to edit the openbox menu: the file ~/.config/openbox/bl-menu.xml
To change the keybind that displays the Openbox menu: ~/.config/openbox/bl-rc.xml

(Though I agree with @sleekmason that jgmenu is worth staying with, if for no other reason than you might want to try a different window manager some day.)

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

Board footer