#1 2015-12-17 12:21:11

dhalgren

[SOLVED...sort of] nVidia card not detected

I want to run my nVidia card, but...

bruce@inana:~$ nvidia-detect 
No NVIDIA GPU detected.

This would be fine, except that...

bruce@inana:~$ lspci|grep -E "VGA|3D"
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
01:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF117M [GeForce 610M/710M/810M/820M / GT 620M/625M/630M/720M] (rev a1)

Because debian/bl doesn't recognise that I have an nVidia card, I can't use it, or install the nVidia drivers.

I have searched far and wide for an answer, and am hoping that someone here may just have that answer, because nothing I have tried (as a result of research) has worked. This irritates me because fedora and opensuse both find and use the nVidia card.

Assistance, or a direction to go in, would be appreciated.

Last edited by dhalgren (2017-06-28 03:54:23)

#2 2015-12-17 15:08:40

damo
....moderator....

Re: [SOLVED...sort of] nVidia card not detected

Just a thought - do you need to do `sudo nvidia-detect`?

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3 2015-12-17 19:37:35

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Have you checked you firmware ("BIOS") options and made sure that the card is activated?

Can we see the output of:

lspci -knn|grep -iA2 '3d'

You should be following this guide:
https://wiki.debian.org/Bumblebee

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#4 2015-12-17 22:02:20

dhalgren

'sudo nvidia-detect' gives the same answer.

@ damo :As for the firmware, yes, it is activated there.

@HoaS:
The results of your command are

bruce@inana:~$ lspci -knn|grep -iA2 '3d'
01:00.0 3D controller [0302]: NVIDIA Corporation GF117M [GeForce 610M/710M/810M/820M / GT 620M/625M/630M/720M] [10de:1140] (rev a1)
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. GeForce GT 720M [1043:124d]
	Kernel driver in use: nouveau

I previously had opensuse installed because I made a mess of Waldorf when trying to get it to work with uefi. Needless to say, I had a play with opensuse after setting it up to boot into Waldorf automatically, which was when I discovered that it detected the card and used it.

I'm not going to be deeply upset if I can't use the nvidia card (it's not a critical issue for me), so don't exercise yourselves too much. It would just be nice to have some sort of answer and direction.

EDIT: The official nvidia driver also claims there is no nvidia card present when I tried to install it. nvidia solutions from the repos install, but then claim that there is no nvidia card to configure. It is a puzzlement.

Last edited by dhalgren (2015-12-17 22:08:44)

#5 2015-12-17 22:08:19

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Follow the guide I linked above, your cards should be supported by Bumblebee.

EDIT: If you have run `nvidia-xconfig` then you must remove any xorg configuration files generated by that script as they will prevent the X server starting if Bumblebee is used.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2015-12-17 22:16:31)

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#6 2015-12-18 23:33:45

dhalgren

I don't think I've ever run nvidia-xconfig, but I'll check before I follow the instructions on the link.
I'm pretty sure that what they suggested there didn't work also, but time to try again

#7 2016-04-01 15:23:32

AndyMender
Website

dhalgren wrote:

I don't think I've ever run nvidia-xconfig, but I'll check before I follow the instructions on the link.
I'm pretty sure that what they suggested there didn't work also, but time to try again

Unfortunately, if you want to use your nVidia graphics card properly, Bumblebee is the only way on Debian. You have an nVidia Optimus setup (Intel + nVidia). Ubuntu distros have the PRIME add-on to the nvidia-drivers, but only them. Personally, I feel Bumblebee is more convenient, because it works on a per-application basis. PRIME requires running whole X11 on the nVidia chip.

In a GNU/Linux daze since forever. Hail to Debian and Arch!

#8 2016-04-01 16:45:00

damo
....moderator....

AndyMender wrote:

Unfortunately, if you want to use your nVidia graphics card properly, Bumblebee is the only way on Debian.

?? I have Intel + nVidia + BunsenLabs, and no Bumblebee, and I have CUDA with GPU rendering. Are you saying there is more available with Bumblebee?

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#9 2016-04-01 17:13:24

cloverskull

I just started using Bumblebee myself (dual intel onboard + nVidia 970M) and am liking it so far. I've really only tested it with glxgears so far but intend to test it more thoroughly with Google Earth, Steam, vdpau for rendering videos, etc.

Optionally you can just use the nvidia card by using the nvidia drivers and forget about the intel gpu entirely, which works well in a desktop only situation. However this is a laptop and power consumption/heat are concerns of mine, so bumblebee/optimus makes the most sense.

#10 2017-06-28 03:52:59

dhalgren

Long time ago, I posted this enquiry. Now that I have upgraded to stretch, I would like to say:

nvidia-detect continues to tell me that it cannot detect an nvidia gpu. lspci continues to tell me that I have both intel and nvidia graphics.

With the latest updates performed, I attempted to get the card running with bumblebee and primus. The result was an error message concerning dmr. (I won't go into that, because all the fixes I found online did nothing.)

I then did a complete uninstall of bumblebee and installed bumblebee-nvidia and everything it wanted. The end result is:

bruce@gumby:~$ nvidia-detect
No NVIDIA GPU detected.
bruce@gumby:~$ lspci -knn|grep -iA2 '3d'
01:00.0 3D controller [0302]: NVIDIA Corporation GF117M [GeForce 610M/710M/810M/820M / GT 620M/625M/630M/720M] [10de:1140] (rev ff)
	Kernel modules: nvidia

And all tests showing the nvidia card working as expected.

I have recounted how I fixed the problem on stretch, (with the observation that exactly the same steps did not work on Jessie) just in case someone else stumbles upon the same problem, and finds that it can be fixed this way.

The most important point is that nvidia-detect can be ignored if you know that your have a particular nvidia card, that does not require legacy drivers.

Board footer