You are not logged in.

#76 2021-10-15 14:00:23

trinidad
Website

Re: HOW-TO set up an experimental BL Beryllium system on Bullseye.

#77 2021-10-16 11:02:59

manyroads
Website

FWIW you might have good luck using MX.  I have tested it with success.  On the 19 release of antiX BL also worked.  You might find these of some value (they're free and worth almost every penny of that charge):
https://eirenicon.org/?s=bunsen

Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com  Professional Genealogist
dwm & i3wm ~ Reg. Linux User #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

#78 2021-10-16 14:49:18

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

That's a very minimal implementation of systemd that should allow bunsen-meta-all to be installable. Has this one been tested?

Real Men Use Linux

#79 2021-10-17 01:24:30

bigbenaugust

DeepDayze wrote:

That's a very minimal implementation of systemd that should allow bunsen-meta-all to be installable. Has this one been tested?

I didn't try it. Doesn't mean I won't soon, though!

--Ben
BL / MX / Raspbian... and a whole bunch of RHEL boxes. :)

#80 2021-10-17 01:38:26

bigbenaugust

manyroads wrote:

FWIW you might have good luck using MX.  I have tested it with success.  On the 19 release of antiX BL also worked.  You might find these of some value (they're free and worth almost every penny of that charge):
https://eirenicon.org/?s=bunsen

I saw that post in the MX forums... wink

The Debian Installer still makes me happier than the MX installer or even Calamares does. 'S why I keep gravitating back to BL.

--Ben

#81 2021-10-17 07:26:03

johnraff
nullglob
Website

dolly wrote:

The download links for the iso images in the op does not work, probably because they are very outdated.  Could be a good be a good idea to do an update of them. smile

Thanks for catching that @dolly!
And thanks to @hhh for fixing the OP while I was away. smile

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#82 2021-10-20 19:42:46

bigbenaugust

I did reinstall Devuan from scratch and then installed systemd-standalone-users from bookworm (since it's only in sid and bookworm). bunsen-meta-lite is still complaining about needing dbus-user-session. But this is silliness.

--Ben

#83 2021-10-20 23:50:32

DeepDayze

bigbenaugust wrote:

I did reinstall Devuan from scratch and then installed systemd-standalone-users from bookworm (since it's only in sid and bookworm). bunsen-meta-lite is still complaining about needing dbus-user-session. But this is silliness.

So I bet that s-s-u does not provide the virtual packages that dbus-user session needs in order to install bunsen-meta-lite in turn. Perhaps the BL devs can chime in.

Last edited by DeepDayze (2021-10-20 23:51:44)

Real Men Use Linux

#84 2021-12-03 12:51:10

AndrewSmart

I've seen written elsewhere that it is a secure practice for Debian end-users to use the signed-by clause in sources.list when adding repositories. I guess an intended outcome from the deprecation of apt-key? From `man apt-secure`:

Limiting which key(s) are able to sign which archive is possible via the Signed-By in sources.list(5).

From memory the attack vector has something to do with a malicious package added to the added & trusted repository, which overrides something from a main repository. Keeping repo-specific keys out of /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/ and using this signed-by clause mitigates that attack vector. But don't take my interpretation I have bad memory, and no offense on any developers but hackers take over servers all the time and I think this is recognized as a weak-link in Debian security?

Example:

johnraff wrote:

Then (use vim if you prefer):

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/bunsen.list

type in this line:

deb https://kelaino.bunsenlabs.org/~johnraff/debian beryllium main
deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/bunsen-dev.asc] https://kelaino.bunsenlabs.org/~johnraff/debian beryllium main
johnraff wrote:

Get the signing key:

wget https://kelaino.bunsenlabs.org/~johnraff/bunsen-dev.asc -O bunsen-dev.asc
sudo cp bunsen-dev.asc /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d
sudo cp bunsen-dev.asc /usr/share/keyrings/
sudo chown root:root /usr/share/keyrings/bunsen-dev.asc

(edited in Lynx, hope it looks ok in graphical web browsers. I wish the quote blocks were indented in Lynx for better reading, oh well)

Installed bullseye yesterday with a dist-upgrade from lithium. Working on beryllium now, I imagine I´ll have to make a new user to get the 'run-once' setup scripts to run, then I can diff the changes to my main users.

Last edited by AndrewSmart (2021-12-03 13:58:39)

#85 2021-12-03 18:43:04

rbh

AndrewSmart wrote:

I've seen written elsewhere that it is a secure practice for Debian end-users to use the signed-by clause in sources.list

It has been an option for some years, but I do not think so many users have implemented that option.

I think this is recognized as a weak-link in Debian security?

Yes.

Installed bullseye yesterday with a dist-upgrade from lithium. Working on beryllium now, I imagine I´ll have to make a new user to get the 'run-once' setup scripts to run, then I can diff the changes to my main users.

The "run-once"-skript, is "bl-wellcome". It offer to install additional packages etc, after standard installation. Can be run whenever you want, from the terminal.

Script "bl-user-setup", to populate logged in users profile with default settings, will run when bl-configs has been changed. Can also be run from terminal whenever you want. Se "man bl-user-setup" for options.

// Regards rbh

Please read before requesting help: Guide to getting help,
Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

#86 2021-12-30 18:23:46

lilgman

Greetings, all.  It's been a while since I've been around.  I got a newer laptop capable of running Gnome.  (It's pretty, but I miss being able to configure things the way I want them!)  I added another user to my old laptop, and gave it to my daughter.  After a year or so, something went badly wrong on a failed update. (Not enough disk space and the file system got set to read-only) I fooled around trying to fix it and finally got parts of it working, but lots of things were still messed up.  I decided the best thing to do is to reinstall.  (Should be quick and easy??????)  I just realized how much I miss BunsenLabs!  Maybe I need to add another partition and install it on my Dell XPS???

Anyway, getting the network connection up after rebooting into the Debian install was a  problem even beyond Johnraff's, dhalgren's, and hhh's advice in the first few threads.  Notably, /etc/network/interfaces was as Johnraff recommends, and there was no /etc/NetworkManager directory. 
If anyone else has similar trouble, perhaps the following can be helpful.

I bumbled around for a long time and could not get the wifi card to turn on.  Debian netinstall did not include rfkill, and my wifi was soft blocked.  As advised on a webpage I can't seem to find again, I tried renaming /dev/rfkill and rebooting.  No joy.

https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse#Manual was no help.  I kept getting a message similar to this when I tried to connect:

RTNETLINK answers: Operation not possible due to RF-kill

Eventually I found and tried this solution
https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/20 … 00943.html
but I do not think it worked.  I can not find man files for apt-install to understand how it works and what the error messages mean.  After doing what is recommended, I forgot to check my new installation to see if anything had changed.  I assumed that it was unsuccessful based on error messages.  Besides network-manager, I also tried to install rfkill, and nmcli.

On reboot, I found that nmcli was installed.  (It probably was in the first installation, but I don't know.)  I do not remember these commands for sure, but the man file for nmcli was my friend.  I think I did the following:

ip a

to find out the name of my adapter.  Probably not necessary, but...

nmcli radio wifi on

This turned on the wifi.

iw dev

This showed that wifi was on.  Txpower showed 15.00 dBm

nmcli device wifi list

Gave me a list of available wifi networks (I think).

I think the next thing I did was something like this:

nmcli -a device wifi connect

Adding the -a option prompted me for the SSID and the password.

Viola.  My wifi worked, and now I'm installing Bunsen Beryllium.

Thanks for the great distro!

Last edited by lilgman (2021-12-30 18:34:20)

#87 2022-01-11 12:34:49

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

Links are out of date again, should be 11.2.0 now rather than 11.1.0  editing them should work.

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#88 2022-01-12 02:51:23

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^Editing the 1 to 2 did indeed work. smile
Thanks!

#89 2022-01-14 01:50:44

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

bigbenaugust wrote:

@bigbenaugust

If you don't mind horrid, gnarly, excessively long one-liners...
This should do the trick to install the meta despite the depend on dbus-user-session:

apt-cache show bunsen-meta-all | grep ^Depends: | cut -d ' ' -f 2- | sed 's/,//g' | sed 's/ dbus-user-session//g' | xargs sudo apt install --no-install-recommends -y

I'm currently looking into a possible tweak, may have something I can suggest  to @johnraff soon, need to test a tiny bit more before I go put my foot in my big mouth though.

EDIT That command will install Bunsen Be on Devuan 4, if you do absoulely DO NOT allow bl-welcome to update your sources, unless you want sources.list to have mixed Debian & Devuan repos ion there. Which sounds like a recipe for broken things.

Last edited by Bearded_Blunder (2022-01-14 21:52:55)

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#90 2022-01-20 08:19:48

phuturism

Just followed these instructions successfully for a Huawei Matebook D14 - runs Ryzen 7 amd chips so needed the newer linux kernel.   I also couldn't install archlabs as this laptop has secure boot enabled and I don't have the password, so only ubuntu/debian derivatives had the correct digital signatures to allow installation on the hardware.

I noticed the links to the Debian ISOs only gave the desktop versions, not the netinstall iso - I had to go to https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof … 64/iso-cd/ to find it.

Then all plain sailing - I just had to manually add my phone usb tethering to the network interfaces before I could upgrade and initiate the scripts.   Everything else worked perfectly on reboot.

Already installed bspwm and sxhkd, these look great with the stock bunsenlabs themes.

Great job guys!   I just have to remember sudo apt update not yay -Syu when using this laptop :-)

#91 2022-01-20 14:50:25

DeepDayze

phuturism wrote:

Just followed these instructions successfully for a Huawei Matebook D14 - runs Ryzen 7 amd chips so needed the newer linux kernel.   I also couldn't install archlabs as this laptop has secure boot enabled and I don't have the password, so only ubuntu/debian derivatives had the correct digital signatures to allow installation on the hardware.

I noticed the links to the Debian ISOs only gave the desktop versions, not the netinstall iso - I had to go to https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof … 64/iso-cd/ to find it.

Then all plain sailing - I just had to manually add my phone usb tethering to the network interfaces before I could upgrade and initiate the scripts.   Everything else worked perfectly on reboot.

Already installed bspwm and sxhkd, these look great with the stock bunsenlabs themes.

Great job guys!   I just have to remember sudo apt update not yay -Syu when using this laptop :-)

For the issue with installing archlabs on secure boot you should reach out to Dobbie03...he can probably help with that. But if you like Beryllium now why not just keep it???

Real Men Use Linux

#92 2022-01-20 21:31:47

phuturism

DeepDayze wrote:
phuturism wrote:

For the issue with installing archlabs on secure boot you should reach out to Dobbie03...he can probably help with that. But if you like Beryllium now why not just keep it???

yeah I will keep Beryllium on this laptop, I've got sxhkd set up so all my keybindings are the same across and my archlabs machine.  I found archlabs through bunsenlabs so certainly love bunsenlabs too!   On the secure boot thing, I've tried most things already - Huawei in Australia advise that there is no back door and the motherboard has to be replaced in order for a new bios password to be set.   How true that is I don't know. 

I've read about installing bootstrapping Arch from within another GNU/Linux install but honestly am happy with the current set-up, Dobbie may want to chime in though :-)

The huawei machine is a nice bit of kit for the price, bought from a second hand dealer here in Australia, I have a suspicion they have batch imports of second hand machines from Hong Kong.

#93 2022-01-20 22:45:22

DeepDayze

phuturism wrote:
DeepDayze wrote:
phuturism wrote:

yeah I will keep Beryllium on this laptop, I've got sxhkd set up so all my keybindings are the same across and my archlabs machine.  I found archlabs through bunsenlabs so certainly love bunsenlabs too!   On the secure boot thing, I've tried most things already - Huawei in Australia advise that there is no back door and the motherboard has to be replaced in order for a new bios password to be set.   How true that is I don't know. 

I've read about installing bootstrapping Arch from within another GNU/Linux install but honestly am happy with the current set-up, Dobbie may want to chime in though :-)

The huawei machine is a nice bit of kit for the price, bought from a second hand dealer here in Australia, I have a suspicion they have batch imports of second hand machines from Hong Kong.

Sounds like a good plan, and whatever Dobbie can help with that should help others with a similar issue with Secure Boot. BL won't let you down that's for sure!

Real Men Use Linux

#94 2022-01-21 00:33:16

johnraff
nullglob
Website

phuturism wrote:

Thanks for catching that! I've cleaned up the OP a bit. (Sorry @hhh and @dolly your credits have gone, but it's a bit easier to read now.)

Board footer