You are not logged in.

#1 2022-01-08 14:29:30

Jimbo_G

Nvidia 340-series driver

I have a GeForce 210 card on my 10-year-old desktop, currently running BL Lithium. In the past I've had some problems with this card, and as I'm thinking of making a few upgrades to this PC it's something I'm thinking about replacing.

Anyway, I noticed in the Debian documentation that use of the 340-series driver is now strongly discouraged (https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsD … op_Drivers) and that the nouveau driver should be used instead. I hadn't noticed this change so I thought I'd mention it here.

Any thoughts on cards to replace the GeForce 210 would be welcome (nothing too powerful is necessary). Also, is it worth trying the nouveau driver again, or is my card just too old?

#2 2022-01-10 14:31:42

jeffreyC

Re: Nvidia 340-series driver

First; what kind of connection does your monitor use?

If you need DVI:
AMD abandoned DVI before Nvidia did and unlike Nvidia all the makers build much closer to the same card, so if you chose AMD you will be looking for an older card, maybe nearly as old as what you have now.

#3 2022-01-12 01:24:36

hhh
Ol' Pink Eyes
Website

I use the 340 driver on Beryllium/Bullseye. I downloaded the deb from the Buster repo and it installed. Not recommended, but the option is there. Lithium uses Buster repos so you can just install it with apt, apt-get or aptitude...

https://packages.debian.org/buster/nvid … gacy-340xx

The nouveau driver worked for me but screen tearing was a problem, fixed by the Nvidia legacy driver and by adding this to my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file...

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "MetaModes" "nvidia-auto-select +0+0 {ForceFullCompositionPipeline=On}"
    Option         "AllowIndirectGLXProtocol" "off"
    Option         "TripleBuffer" "on"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Source for the tearing fix...

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NVIDIA … en_tearing

Your mileage may vary.

Does your physical disability preclude you from coming to the point?

#4 2022-01-17 14:01:17

Jimbo_G

Thanks for the suggestions, my monitor can be connected with HDMI so I guess that's one less thing to worry about.

#5 2022-01-17 17:29:15

jeffreyC

As a replacement card on the Nvidia side I would suggest a GTX 750 Ti, they are still supported with current drivers, use no extra power beyond what the motherboard slot supplies and run cool.

On the AMD side I do not know what to recommend, since I found out they do not support my monitors I stopped looking at them.

#6 2022-01-17 17:48:23

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

jeffreyC wrote:

As a replacement card on the Nvidia side I would suggest a GTX 750 Ti, they are still supported with current drivers, use no extra power beyond what the motherboard slot supplies and run cool.

On the AMD side I do not know what to recommend, since I found out they do not support my monitors I stopped looking at them.

That would be the minimum now and should be supported by current nvidia for at least a few more years. That card works fine under nouveau as well (I have a 1GB one I got out of a salvaged old system).

You can find this card on ebay or in used computer stores.

Last edited by DeepDayze (2022-01-17 17:49:21)

Real Men Use Linux

#7 Yesterday 15:57:34

Jimbo_G

Good to know, thanks for the suggestion, I'll get looking on ebay

Board footer