You are not logged in.

#1 2021-11-21 18:06:09

Colonel Panic

LibreOffice in Slackware

H i everyone,

I've noticed several people talking about the forthcoming major release of Slackware (15.0), for which I believe the release candidate iso has just been issued.

Does anyone know how to install LibreOffice in it? I've never much liked Calligra (or its predecessor KOffice), but whenever I've tried to install LibreOffice in a recent edition of Slackware I've always run foul of one dependency error or another.

I know it's possible in principle to do this because there are Slackware-derived distros / respins which come with LibreOffice already installed, such as Absolute and Slint.

Thanks in advance,

CP.

Last edited by Colonel Panic (2021-11-21 18:20:57)

#2 2021-11-21 20:33:07

PackRat
jgmenu user Numero Uno

Re: LibreOffice in Slackware

If LibreOffice (any package) is not included with the official Slackware release (it will usually be in the xap section of a custom install) you can usually find it on Slackbuilds and build it from source; when Slackware 15 is released, the packages for Slackbuilds will start getting updates so there will be some lag time. You can also get a pre-built package from a distro that includes LibreOffice - like Absolute - but you'll have to install the dependencies first (same as Slackbuilds).

Another option would be to install slapt-get (if it's still maintained) and add a Slackware repository. SalixOS is an excellent Slackware (stable release) based distro that uses slapt-get for their repository. Their sister project Slackel is based on Slackware-current and also uses slapt-get. Like apt, slapt-get will do some basic dependency checking.

And the official Slackware forum is a good source of info; friendly people.

Last edited by PackRat (2021-11-21 20:40:45)

You must unlearn what you have learned.
    -- yoda

#3 2021-11-21 21:46:27

Colonel Panic

PackRat wrote:

If LibreOffice (any package) is not included with the official Slackware release (it will usually be in the xap section of a custom install) you can usually find it on Slackbuilds and build it from source; when Slackware 15 is released, the packages for Slackbuilds will start getting updates so there will be some lag time. You can also get a pre-built package from a distro that includes LibreOffice - like Absolute - but you'll have to install the dependencies first (same as Slackbuilds).

Another option would be to install slapt-get (if it's still maintained) and add a Slackware repository. SalixOS is an excellent Slackware (stable release) based distro that uses slapt-get for their repository. Their sister project Slackel is based on Slackware-current and also uses slapt-get. Like apt, slapt-get will do some basic dependency checking.

And the official Slackware forum is a good source of info; friendly people.

Thanks, I'll try some of those. I've got Slackel on my computer already and it's a good distro (and based on slackware-current).

#4 2021-11-22 02:10:28

PackRat
jgmenu user Numero Uno

Slackel has LibreOffice in their repo don't they?
If they have it, Salix will have it.

-- yoda

#5 2021-11-22 08:49:00

Colonel Panic

Probably they do, yes. It's not LibreOffice itself that's the problem, it's the dependencies you've got to have to run it (like JRE, the Java Runtime Environment). And it has to be the right version too, or it won't run.

I've downloaded and installed the Slackel one (version 7.2), but it's not running (I'm missing a file called "oosplash" apparently).

Last edited by Colonel Panic (2021-11-22 13:20:51)

#6 2021-11-22 14:57:19

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

Colonel Panic wrote:

Probably they do, yes. It's not LibreOffice itself that's the problem, it's the dependencies you've got to have to run it (like JRE, the Java Runtime Environment). And it has to be the right version too, or it won't run.

I've downloaded and installed the Slackel one (version 7.2), but it's not running (I'm missing a file called "oosplash" apparently).

Yeah that's the downside of Slackware...you got to hunt for the right dependencies especially if you update packages then you need to update the deps as well. Bet it will be fun to hunt down what package has that oosplash file.

Back when I first discovered Linux in the early 90s I discovered Slackware and it was quite the fun timewaster to get everything working right.

Last edited by DeepDayze (2021-11-22 14:59:18)

Real Men Use Linux

#7 2021-11-22 21:26:25

Colonel Panic

Finally managed to get it working in Slackware, although it wasn't the most recent version. I found a download of the RPMs package of LibreOffice 7.0.4, which I untarred to a subdirectory and then converted all the .rpm files (and there were a lot) to Slack format (.tgz) using the rpm2tgz utility.

Then it was just a matter of installing all the .tgz files with installpkg, which was quicker than it sounds because installpkg takes wildcard characters in filenames (as does rpm2tgz). I didn't notice any Java runtime rpms/tgzs but it seems to be working OK even without JRE.

Thanks to everyone who's shown an interest. (I'm also hoping to refer to this thread when I install the final version of Slackware 15, hopefully in the near future .)

Last edited by Colonel Panic (2021-11-22 22:19:55)

#8 2021-11-23 00:41:08

PackRat
jgmenu user Numero Uno

Colonel Panic wrote:

I didn't notice any Java runtime rpms/tgzs but it seems to be working OK even without JRE.

JRE isn't a requirement for LibreOffice. The Void package for LibreOffice was originally compiled without JRE support because of a security issue.

-- yoda

#9 2021-11-23 00:47:56

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

Colonel Panic wrote:

Finally managed to get it working in Slackware, although it wasn't the most recent version. I found a download of the RPMs package of LibreOffice 7.0.4, which I untarred to a subdirectory and then converted all the .rpm files (and there were a lot) to Slack format (.tgz) using the rpm2tgz utility.

Then it was just a matter of installing all the .tgz files with installpkg, which was quicker than it sounds because installpkg takes wildcard characters in filenames (as does rpm2tgz). I didn't notice any Java runtime rpms/tgzs but it seems to be working OK even without JRE.

Thanks to everyone who's shown an interest. (I'm also hoping to refer to this thread when I install the final version of Slackware 15, hopefully in the near future .)

That works if the RPM's were built with a similar compiler version and libc  version so as to avoid problems common with applications that were built with differing compiler and libc versions. I have had many a segmentation fault or undefined symbol error when trying to install apps built as RPMs.

Last edited by DeepDayze (2021-11-23 00:48:34)

Real Men Use Linux

#10 2021-11-23 13:00:07

Colonel Panic

DeepDayze wrote:

That works if the RPM's were built with a similar compiler version and libc  version so as to avoid problems common with applications that were built with differing compiler and libc versions. I have had many a segmentation fault or undefined symbol error when trying to install apps built as RPMs.

I think you're probably right. It seems I was lucky.

Last edited by Colonel Panic (2021-11-23 13:02:50)

#11 2021-11-23 13:02:23

Colonel Panic

PackRat wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:

I didn't notice any Java runtime rpms/tgzs but it seems to be working OK even without JRE.

JRE isn't a requirement for LibreOffice. The Void package for LibreOffice was originally compiled without JRE support because of a security issue.

Thanks. All I know is that sometimes when I've installed LibreOffice, it's failed to load for want of JRE - so I suppose that on those occasions it was compiled to require it as a dependency.

Board footer