You are not logged in.

#1 2021-09-26 14:26:25

garynewport

Installing IDE

Hi

I am new to BunsenLabs and, though I have installed Linux before, I consider myself a novice at that too.

I have successfully set up my PC for dual booting (Windows 10 and BunsenLabs), updated the system, installed Fortran and C++ (two tools I need) and am trying to install Geany.

This is the first tar.gz file I have tried to install (used to using the terminal commands for all installations) and a tad confused.

I downloaded into my Downloads directory. Unzipped the package and ran ./configure

Got a load of text relating to checking the system and then it stopped with the following error:

configure: error: in `/home/gary/Downloads/geany-1.37.1':
configure: error: The pkg-config script could not be found or is too old.  Make sure it
is in your PATH or set the PKG_CONFIG environment variable to the full
path to pkg-config.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables GTK_CFLAGS
and GTK_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.

To get pkg-config, see <http://pkg-config.freedesktop.org/>.
See `config.log' for more details

A few things...

• Is there a command-line Geany installation process?

• I'm unhappy 'installing' a package in my Downloads folder; where should I have moved the application to?

• Or should I expect that once I configure and make the system, I should then be able to install it to a sensible place?

• What do I do to get past my error message?

Sorry. Gotten myself so far but not finding clear answers now.

#2 2021-09-26 14:55:38

MuciusScaevola

Re: Installing IDE

Sorry to come up with something that is not a proper answer.
In my install of BL Geany is the default text editor, (unless you want the last release 1.37 as the website says against 1.33 installed).

Last edited by MuciusScaevola (2021-09-26 14:56:45)

#3 2021-09-26 15:46:14

garynewport

That's a perfectly good reply; I hadn't checked.

I have also found that the one I have ben using under Windows and on my Mac (Code:Blocks) also has a Linux installation, so I might explore that option a little more.

Thank you.

#4 2021-09-26 17:24:22

rbh

garynewport wrote:

This is the first tar.gz file I have tried to install (used to using the terminal commands for all installations) and a tad confused.

I downloaded into my Downloads directory. Unzipped the package and ran ./configure

Got a load of text relating to checking the system and then it stopped with the following error:

As new to linux, avoid installing tarballs. Use synaptic or in terminal

$ sudo apt install [packagename].

I'm unhappy 'installing' a package in my Downloads folder; where should I have moved the application to?

If you install from source (tarballs), install to /usr/local.

What do I do to get past my error message?

When you want to install from source, you can run bl-wellcome script and add tools for managing deb-packages. Think that would give you all you need.

I also recommend you to explore the help-section of your menu and at least glance througt the debian handbook.

// Regards rbh

Please read before requesting help: Guide to getting help,
Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

#5 2021-09-26 21:52:37

jeffreyC

Debian Bullseye (the latest release) has Geany 1.37 in the repos.
How long until BunsenLabs releases their Bullseye based release IDK.

#6 2021-09-27 07:42:55

garynewport

It does indeed!

I accidently double-clicked on the file and geany opened up.

I wasn't that surprised, since a previous poster had conveyed to me that their installation came with Geany.

Thank you to everyone who has replied. I have everything in place and my model is running.

Now on to the next problem... smile

Board footer