You are not logged in.

#1 2021-09-15 08:47:16

thcloak

Some bl gtk themes look different on stock debian

I bought a new PC (well, used) so I couldn't wait for the new bl release and went with a debian netinstall.

I ended up copying the contents of my /usr/share/themes to the new pc just to make sure that everything was the same. And, for some of the themes, such as BL-Lithium-light, everything does indeed look the same.

Not so for Bunsen-He, Bunsen-He-flatish, RainForest, Crocus-Remix and others.
Here's Bunsen-He-flatish, bl lithium vs debian bullseye:

bl lithium
debian bullseye

Buttons, tabs, check-boxes, these pulley things, all look archaic.
I have also migrated the .config/gtk-2 and .gtk-3 folders. What's missing?

While we are at it: in my gtk-styled zimwiki's editor, line height (the space between lines) seems smaller. I don't think I've touched even the font size. Any clues?

P.S. In case you noticed the slight background color difference: I might have accidentally taken a screenshot of bunsen-He instead of bunse-He flatish. Nevermind that, the widgets are different in the same way.

#2 2021-09-15 08:50:50

thcloak

Re: Some bl gtk themes look different on stock debian

Oups. Of note is that these ugly widgets only seem to appear in lxappearance, not in my other gtk apps. Could this be a gtk2 vs 3 thing? I'll try and reboot for good measure.

#3 2021-09-15 09:03:01

thcloak

Hm, no gtk-2 app easily comes to mind to test this. I don't really care anyway, I use those so seldom that I don't care how they look.

I would appreciate an answer though. What did I fail to migrate?

Also, any clue about zim?

#4 2021-09-15 19:49:07

sleekmason
zoom
Website

Huh,  Kinda looks like it is failing to apply font tinting and anti aliasing rather than the theme itself? Interesting.

#5 2021-09-16 09:51:35

ceeslans

If I'm not mistaken, 'gtk2-engines-murrine' needs to be installed?

#6 2021-09-16 11:34:28

twoion
一期一会

IIRC lxappearance has a gtk3 port, but in Debian is only gtk2. The fallback theme there (Rayleigh) looks like gtk2, as gtk3 would fall back to adwaita. You need to ensure that the target system has all required gtk2 engines installed.

sudo apt-get install 'gtk2-engines*'

should do the trick and install all gtk2 engines for maximum compatibility.

#7 2021-09-17 01:45:30

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

twoion wrote:

IIRC lxappearance has a gtk3 port, but in Debian is only gtk2. The fallback theme there (Rayleigh) looks like gtk2, as gtk3 would fall back to adwaita. You need to ensure that the target system has all required gtk2 engines installed.

I think using that glob pulls in KDE libs as well as there's gtk2-engines-oxygen and gtk2-engines-qtcurve, which might not be what you want. So gtk2-engines-murrine is a good start at least.

Real Men Use Linux

#8 2021-09-17 06:53:58

unklar
Back to the roots 1.9

DeepDayze wrote:
twoion wrote:

I think using that glob pulls in KDE libs as well as there's gtk2-engines-oxygen and gtk2-engines-qtcurve, which might not be what you want. So gtk2-engines-murrine is a good start at least.

sudo apt-get install 'gtk2-engines*' --no-install-recommends

instead of 115 there were only 10 packages   wink

#9 2021-09-18 03:04:02

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

unklar wrote:
DeepDayze wrote:
twoion wrote:

sudo apt-get install 'gtk2-engines*' --no-install-recommends

instead of 115 there were only 10 packages   wink

Oh didn't realize that...and that one works. Forgot about the --no-install-recommends switch which is a good idea to not pull in the cruft you do not really need.

Real Men Use Linux

Board footer