You are not logged in.

#1 2021-09-13 22:46:32

portaro

[Solved] Correct way to upgrade chromium ?

What is the correct way to upgrade the browser Chromium on Lithium ?

Last edited by portaro (2021-09-14 18:46:00)

#2 2021-09-13 23:20:02

rbh

Re: [Solved] Correct way to upgrade chromium ?

portaro wrote:

As all other debian packages in debian repository:

$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt upgrade

in terminal. to upgrade all packages. Or use synaptic.

Edit: Read about debian PackageManagement:
https://wiki.debian.org/PackageManagement

Last edited by rbh (2021-09-13 23:42:56)

// Regards rbh

Please read before requesting help: Guide to getting help,
Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

#3 2021-09-13 23:33:40

portaro

rbh wrote:
portaro wrote:

As all other debian packages in debian repository:

$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt upgrade

in terminal. to upgrade all packages. Or use synaptic.

Oh I think that I need other method, in last days when I visit Manjaro site (manjaro.org) appear a popup message that send a message to update my chromium version to maintain me secure, at the momment I visit the same page and the popup dont appear.

So to the Debian Repository I think that I already stay in the last update possible version of this repository because I use update and upgrade at least one time of a week.

Maybe in Arch Manjaro repos the verion is more updated and he detect my version and send the message to me.

Thanks.

#4 2021-09-14 07:13:09

rbh

portaro wrote:

in last days when I visit Manjaro site (manjaro.org) appear a popup message that send a message to update my chromium version to maintain me secure,

No, the popup says "Your browser engine Chrome 90 is out of date. Update your browser or install a new one for more security, speed and best experience on [...]"

Chromium is the open sorce project, Google Chrome is released as proprietary freeware. They share same codebase. Manjaro says that you are safer if you upgrade and get better experience.

The code for the current debian package, 90.0.4430.72, was released by the Chrome team 2021-04-14 and the Debian maintainers had a deb ready 2021-05-18

at the momment I visit the same page and the popup dont appear.

Maybe you klicked "Ignore"? or else, you have another tab open at manjaro.org, where that popup is shown. (It is only shown in one tab...)

Maybe in Arch Manjaro repos the verion is more updated and he detect my version and send the message to me.

I can not find Chromium in Manjaros repository. But, Manjaro is based on arch, and they have version 93.0.4577.82-1

If you dont want to change os and dont mind run proprieaty freeware but is very conserned about scurity, you can download and install version 93... of google chrome: https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/.

Or download the code, build and run: https://www.chromium.org/developers/how … t-the-code.

Manjaro seems very keen on selling them...

Last edited by rbh (2021-09-14 07:15:43)

// Regards rbh

Please read before requesting help: Guide to getting help,
Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

#5 2021-09-14 18:45:41

portaro

Thanks for the help.

Board footer