You are not logged in.

#1 2021-09-08 16:17:01

trilobite

General bluetooth info please

Newbie to bluetooth. Was rather surprised that several older (>10 year old HP/Compaqs) had the hardware in them and that it worked with a headset and the Blueman package was right there in Bunsen ready to go.  I could find info on the 'net but not specific to my questions. 

First, the headset is not automatically connected. I did not see a way to make it auto connect. I have to turn it off and on to connect and manually do it in Bunsen.  Which is okay but a pain occasionally if I leave and it disconnects because too far away.

Second, the options are to connect as "headset" or "audio sink".  Not sure what audio sink means.  Perhaps dumping all sound into the headphones?  Can't really tell the difference.

Third, if bluetooth connects to a computer, and there's also another device, like a phone, will it connect to both, or does it switch off one and connect to another?  I get conflicting answers about this.  Maybe it depends on the computer or phone or the headset.

Must say I am continually surprised at the excellent functionality about things I never even thought of with Bunsen. It's great.

{Linux-using people I haven't met are friends yet to be made.}

#2 2021-09-09 07:38:21

unklar
Back to the roots 1.9

Re: General bluetooth info please

(1)
If the headset is paired correctly, it should connect when the computer is turned on. Preferably you should work with "Always visible" at the beginning.
Please also check:

systemctl status bluetooth.service

(2)
As far as I know "audio sink" means audio clint. So it is always the clint (speakers; headphones etc).

(3)
Your last sentence answers that.
The newer the device, the greater the chance. I have here a LCD TV to which two Bluetooth speakers are connected. That I have the stereo sound on both, regulate the speakers among themselves. The TV is only connected to the "first" speaker. If I now receive a call on the smartphone, which is also paired with Bluetooth, then the TV sound on the speakers is interrupted as long as the call lasts.
High-quality (Bluetooth) devices can "remember" up to 8 (former) connections.
More details are always in the manual of the Bluetooth device.

#3 2021-09-11 23:20:44

trilobite

Re: General bluetooth info please

Thank-you!

(everything I own is "low quality" which others have disposed of, I'm cheap and I'm a recycler)

{Linux-using people I haven't met are friends yet to be made.}

Board footer