You are not logged in.

#76 2021-08-11 02:19:30

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 8,278
Website

Re: Additions to Beryllium

^Thanks for the suggestions. smile
libsixel-bin and lxinput are both available from Debian, but maybe as Beryllium should now be released with as little delay as possible, we ought to consider them for the next release, Boron.

I've opened a new thread for Boron suggestions:
https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic … 01#p116501

Last edited by johnraff (2021-08-11 02:23:24)


...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

Online

#77 2021-08-11 14:28:06

portaro
Member
From: Portugal
Registered: 2020-01-03
Posts: 58

Re: Additions to Beryllium

Thanks John.

Offline

#78 2021-08-26 19:50:38

rbh
Member
From: Sweden/Vasterbotten/Rusfors
Registered: 2016-08-11
Posts: 1,182

Re: Additions to Beryllium

I noted that "Compton is no longer being developed by the original author; the  development continues as picom"

So that is a swap needed to be done.


// Regards rbh

Please read before requesting help: Guide to getting help,
Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

Offline

#79 2021-08-26 20:46:05

hhh
Meep!
Registered: 2015-09-17
Posts: 12,171
Website

Re: Additions to Beryllium

I think we're on that, @johnraff would need to confirm. We've got the xfce4-panel battery icon sorted as well via a custom package build, or maybe the fix is already in bullseye.

Offline

#80 2021-08-28 12:48:06

sleekmason
zoom
Registered: 2018-05-22
Posts: 604
Website

Re: Additions to Beryllium

Still no fix for the battery icon in Bullseye or Sid at the moment though it looks like @Johnraff has it figured for BL.

I tried picom to replace Compton and had a few issues with screen tearing that I couldn't resolve. Looking forward to seeing what settings you come up with. Was easier for me at the time to just stay with Compton. Sounds like that option may disappear in the future.

Offline

#81 2021-08-29 05:40:49

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 8,278
Website

Re: Additions to Beryllium

Beryllium is already set to use picom instead of compton.

Here's our picom.conf:
https://github.com/BunsenLabs/bunsen-co … picom.conf
@sleekmason if you'd like to give that a try and see if it fixes your issues...

If it doesn't, then we have some further tweaking to do at this end. smile

I'm not a graphics expert at all, but screen tearing might be improved if you switch the backend to glx: uncomment line 461
We don't do that by default because not all drivers support it apparently, but it helped on my machine.

Last edited by johnraff (2021-08-29 05:41:47)


...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

Online

#82 2021-08-29 16:31:22

sleekmason
zoom
Registered: 2018-05-22
Posts: 604
Website

Re: Additions to Beryllium

johnraff wrote:

Beryllium is already set to use picom instead of compton.

Here's our picom.conf:
https://github.com/BunsenLabs/bunsen-co … picom.conf
@sleekmason if you'd like to give that a try and see if it fixes your issues...

If it doesn't, then we have some further tweaking to do at this end. smile

I'm not a graphics expert at all, but screen tearing might be improved if you switch the backend to glx: uncomment line 461
We don't do that by default because not all drivers support it apparently, but it helped on my machine.

---
Thank you much!  Your picom.conf is much more evolved than the one I picked up online from a few months back.  Looking forward to giving it a go smile Will let you know if I run into issues.

Offline

#83 2021-09-06 15:46:16

sleekmason
zoom
Registered: 2018-05-22
Posts: 604
Website

Re: Additions to Beryllium

sleekmason wrote:
johnraff wrote:

Beryllium is already set to use picom instead of compton.

Here's our picom.conf:
https://github.com/BunsenLabs/bunsen-co … picom.conf
@sleekmason if you'd like to give that a try and see if it fixes your issues...

If it doesn't, then we have some further tweaking to do at this end. :)

I'm not a graphics expert at all, but screen tearing might be improved if you switch the backend to glx: uncomment line 461
We don't do that by default because not all drivers support it apparently, but it helped on my machine.

---
Thank you much!  Your picom.conf is much more evolved than the one I picked up online from a few months back.  Looking forward to giving it a go :) Will let you know if I run into issues.

----
Simply wanted to report that your configuration is working very well here! Zero problems after a week or so of use.  So many options to mess with:)  Thanks again for sharing!

Offline

#84 2021-09-07 05:35:09

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 8,278
Website

Re: Additions to Beryllium

^Many thanks for the feedback!
That config is planned for shipping with Beryllium, so it's good to know it worked for at least one user. smile


...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

Online

#85 2021-09-07 19:35:53

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...
From: In Linux Land
Registered: 2017-05-28
Posts: 1,327

Re: Additions to Beryllium

sleekmason wrote:

Still no fix for the battery icon in Bullseye or Sid at the moment though it looks like @Johnraff has it figured for BL.

I tried picom to replace Compton and had a few issues with screen tearing that I couldn't resolve. Looking forward to seeing what settings you come up with. Was easier for me at the time to just stay with Compton. Sounds like that option may disappear in the future.

So they say Compton is deprecated?


Real Men Use Linux

Offline

#86 2021-09-07 20:53:07

sleekmason
zoom
Registered: 2018-05-22
Posts: 604
Website

Re: Additions to Beryllium

DeepDayze wrote:
sleekmason wrote:

Still no fix for the battery icon in Bullseye or Sid at the moment though it looks like @Johnraff has it figured for BL.

I tried picom to replace Compton and had a few issues with screen tearing that I couldn't resolve. Looking forward to seeing what settings you come up with. Was easier for me at the time to just stay with Compton. Sounds like that option may disappear in the future.

So they say Compton is deprecated?

--

Yes, Compton is now deprecated, though is still available in both the sid and bullseye repos for now. 
Switching to Picom was a breeze with johnraffs configuration above.  Think I changed just a couple of items for my own use. (transparency and fading).  Really like how it looks and works.

Offline

#87 2021-09-08 02:48:11

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 8,278
Website

Re: Additions to Beryllium

Even Compton in Bullseye is really picom in disguise!
https://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/ … _changelog

compton:changelog wrote:

Package the first bugfix release of picom as compton.


...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

Online

#88 2021-09-08 16:44:11

sleekmason
zoom
Registered: 2018-05-22
Posts: 604
Website

Re: Additions to Beryllium

johnraff wrote:

Even Compton in Bullseye is really picom in disguise!
https://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/ … _changelog

compton:changelog wrote:

Package the first bugfix release of picom as compton.

Wild:)  Backed up picom.conf and made my old compton.conf the default to see what would happen.  Worked fine with just the few items I used to use.  When opening Picom in a terminal, it gave the deprecation notice with the correct options needed to change to picom (with the old settings still allowed for a while yet).  Pretty cool transition!  Still keeping yours though with all the options nicely listed.  big_smile

Last edited by sleekmason (2021-09-08 16:44:29)

Offline

#89 2021-09-09 01:29:36

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 8,278
Website

Re: Additions to Beryllium

BTW that picom.conf is not mine really. I just went over what we had already - a composite of various peoples' work - and trimmed out what wasn't compatible with picom, or just obsolete anyway.


...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

Online

#90 2021-09-09 20:17:45

eight.bit.al
Member
From: Prison
Registered: 2015-10-01
Posts: 1,069

Re: Additions to Beryllium

Hi :-)

I just installed lithium-3-amd64.hybrid.iso. During the Welcome script, there were a couple of screens I wanted to scroll back and read, as they scrolled by too quick; particularly page 14 of 15. But that was not an option. And it doesn't run that page on a second running of the script.

Is it

tput clear

line 124 of /usr/lib/bunsen/bl-welcome? Could it instead scroll a few lines to get a clean screen ( some kind of for do loop), but still allow the user to scroll back?
Am I way out of my league here?  Might even look cool scrolling up and out of the way. wink

Thanks for everyone's fine work on BL.

8bit

Last edited by eight.bit.al (2021-09-09 20:27:17)


If art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time.

Offline

#91 2021-09-10 00:31:14

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 8,278
Website

Re: Additions to Beryllium

Al, thanks for the feedback. That does sound like a less than friendly user experience.

Tput clear might have changed its behaviour - I seem to remember it just pushed the prompt down enough so that the previous content went off the top of the window, but now it wipes it out completely. This might mean time for a rethink of that code in bl-welcome. neutral

But I'm puzzled that page 14 disappeared on a second run. Do you remember what page that was?

Meanwhile, there's a log file: ~/.cache/bunsen-welcome/bl-welcome.log
Any hints there?


...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

Online

#92 2021-09-10 11:58:42

eight.bit.al
Member
From: Prison
Registered: 2015-10-01
Posts: 1,069

Re: Additions to Beryllium

johnraff wrote:

But I'm puzzled that page 14 disappeared on a second run. Do you remember what page that was?

Meanwhile, there's a log file: ~/.cache/bunsen-welcome/bl-welcome.log
Any hints there?

Yes, bl-welcome.log provided some answers. First run there was 16 pages, second and subsequent runs, 15.
It was the "INSTALL PACKAGES" (deferred actions) page that I wanted to view. Turns out it was 12 of 16. It didn't have output the second run because I hadn't selected any additional packages. The script then jumped to 16/16 and was finished. The unused pages are for the "less commonly used packages", I'm guessing.

If you think it helpful, I'll paste the log.

regards,
8bit

Last edited by eight.bit.al (2021-09-10 12:02:56)


If art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time.

Offline

#93 2021-09-11 11:35:43

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 8,278
Website

Re: Additions to Beryllium

eight.bit.al wrote:
johnraff wrote:

But I'm puzzled that page 14 disappeared on a second run. Do you remember what page that was?

Meanwhile, there's a log file: ~/.cache/bunsen-welcome/bl-welcome.log
Any hints there?

Yes, bl-welcome.log provided some answers. First run there was 16 pages, second and subsequent runs, 15.
It was the "INSTALL PACKAGES" (deferred actions) page that I wanted to view. Turns out it was 12 of 16. It didn't have output the second run because I hadn't selected any additional packages.

In that case the page should show "No further actions need to be performed" then move on.

The script then jumped to 16/16 and was finished. The unused pages are for the "less commonly used packages", I'm guessing.

Yes if you choose not to view that stuff it goes straight to the end.

If you think it helpful, I'll paste the log.

Maybe not needed at this point.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll have a think about scrolling instead of tput clear, but it might have to be a post-release update at this point.


...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

Online

#94 2021-09-11 13:55:59

eight.bit.al
Member
From: Prison
Registered: 2015-10-01
Posts: 1,069

Re: Additions to Beryllium

johnraff wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. I'll have a think about scrolling instead of tput clear, but it might have to be a post-release update at this point.

Yes, let nothing delay the release, I for one am chomping at the bit. BTW, really impressive how quick BL boots up.

8bit


If art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time.

Offline

#95 2021-09-11 14:04:31

eight.bit.al
Member
From: Prison
Registered: 2015-10-01
Posts: 1,069

Re: Additions to Beryllium

eight.bit.al wrote:

Is it

tput clear

line 124 of /usr/lib/bunsen/bl-welcome?

Just wanted to correct an error. That would be line 124 of /usr/bin/bl-welcome.

8bit


If art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time.

Offline

#96 2021-09-11 17:34:23

eight.bit.al
Member
From: Prison
Registered: 2015-10-01
Posts: 1,069

Re: Additions to Beryllium

johnraff wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. I'll have a think about scrolling instead of tput clear, but it might have to be a post-release update at this point.

I started working on this, posted in another thread to not spam this one:

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=7809

8bit


If art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB