You are not logged in.

#1 2021-09-05 09:51:10

percivjr

File manager cannot see WIndows Network

I've just upgraded two laptops to Crunchbang Lithium. On both of them, when using Thunar (similar results with pcmanfm), when I Browse Network/Windows Network, I see no shares. If I go to Thunar's address bar and enter smb://<box ip> I see the shares on that box. If I then go back to Browse Network/Windows network I see all the shares as expected.

However, after a while Browse Network/Windows Network is blank again until I nudge it with smb://<box ip>.

The master browser is on a Windows server (XP !!!). smbtree shows all the shares. My other PCs (pre-Lithium) still work as normal.

Any ideas please?

#2 2021-09-05 10:01:34

twoion
一期一会

Re: File manager cannot see WIndows Network

Windows XP is a very old OS which to my knowledge can only talk SMB protocol version 1. This protocol version of SMB has been disabled in newer versions Samba by default as it is just completely insecure. Try adding the following keys to the [global] section in /etc/samba/smb.conf, then logout/login and/or restart:

client min protocol = NT1
server min protocol = NT1

This tells Samba to allow SMBv1 on both ends of the connection.

PS if you use passwords you need to do some more work, read https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Samba# … rror_1326) or through that entire page in general.

#3 2021-09-05 16:09:02

percivjr

Re: File manager cannot see WIndows Network

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I added the NT1 parameters as suggested but it's made no difference.

Smbclient works, I can connect from a file manager if I specify the share address and I can see all the shares with smbtree so I'm guessing that smb.conf is OK.

It's just the file managers which won't browse. May be there is some missing dependency?

Board footer