You are not logged in.

#1 2021-09-03 14:02:12

md

Black Screen on GUI login after upgrade to Buster/Lithium

So I recently tried to upgrade my bunsenlabs to Helium.

This is on an Aorus X3 Plus v7 so it has a GTX 1060 in it and an Intel HM 175 mainboard.

Before I had tried and failed to make the whole intel/nvidia Optimus thing work, several times using bumblebee and primus and then giving up and deciding the support wasn't there and I didn't really need an external monitor anyway did I.

After following the instructions here: https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=6913

I have ended up with a machine, which boots ok, gets as far as starting the graphical login manager (lightDM ?) and then sits there alternately flashing a cursor in the top left and a mouse pointer in the middle of the screen like it's starting X and then crashing and looping.

I don't seem to get a .xsession-errors file anywhere, when it does this and the logs for lightdm contain only DEBUG and WARNING

I have removed and reinstalled the nvidia drivers, and removed the nouveau drivers, and some others which seemed unnecessary. I have also removed Primus, and bumblebee does not seem to be installed (I probably removed it before the upgrade).

I have made some progress in Recovery Mode. I added "nomodeset" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX as described here https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic … 545#p78545 now when it boots I get to a screen which says

[FAILED] Failed to start Light Display Manager
See 'systemctl status lightdm.service' for details.

Doing that led me to an error which led here:
https://archived.forum.manjaro.org/t/so … rt/27058/4

So I tried

lightdm --test-mode --debug

Which fails but gives the hopefully useful error message

Could not run plymouth --ping: Failed to execute child process ?plymouth? (No such file or directory)

Some more websearch led me to understand that plymouth is a greeter, but there are many such things, and thus my solution is to either install plymouth, or specify another greeter in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

So which is the better solution? What is the default greeter for bunsenlabs?

#2 2021-09-03 14:51:45

md

Re: Black Screen on GUI login after upgrade to Buster/Lithium

I've fiddled some more and am now not sure if it really is the greeter.

I seem to have lightdm-gtk-greeter installed and configured and there are no instances of 'plym' in my /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

Before the Debug message about plymouth not being found I see

[+1.60s] WARNING: Error getting user list from org.freedesktop.Accounts: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.Accounts was not provided by any .service files

But from reading this https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=186550

I'm not convinced that's an error I need worry about.

Looking in .cache/lightdm/log/x-0.log I see:

Fatal server error:
(EE) Cannot move old log file "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" to "/var/log/Xorg.0.log.old"

Which reminds me of another issue I fixed where I was getting
https://forums.debian.net//viewtopic.php?f=10&t=143741
Which also had logfiles with incorrect permissions.

Having said that, the logfiles are owned by root, which would explain why I can't overwrite them.

Last edited by md (2021-09-03 14:53:10)

#3 2021-09-03 15:00:22

md

Aha, so running:

lightdm --test-mode --debug

as root and then checkint /var/log/Xorg.0.log shows
Some errors about failing to load the nouveau and nv modules then:

(EE) Unable to find a valid framebuffer device
(EE) Screen 0 deleted because of no matching config section
Fatal server error:
(EE) Cannot run in framebuffer mode. Please specify bus IDs for all framebuffer devices

So I guess my X config is fubar and I need to fix it.

#4 2021-09-03 15:02:14

Peregrino69

I was just checking my logs as while my system is running just fine, I'm sure I've seen the same log messages. That freedesk message I know is there, haven't even looked into it as doesn't seem to be bothering anything.

I indeed do find this:

pg@TREX:~$ sudo grep -i plymouth /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log
[+1.00s] DEBUG: Could not run plymouth --ping: Failed to execute child process “plymouth” (No such file or directory)

Naturally I want to look closer, so I try to sudo less the log... and find this:

[+1.01s] DEBUG: posix_spawn avoided (automatic reaping requested) (fd close requested)
[+4.85s] DEBUG: Got signal 10 from process 1156

... the message I can grep is nowhere to be found if I less, cat or nano the file. Several seconds of log appears to be missing, which isn't really conceivable as grepping plymouth works.

Maybe one of the more knowledgeable around can explain this?

EDIT

So I did this:

sudo grep -i '1.00s' /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log
[+1.00s] DEBUG: Monitoring logind for seats
[+1.00s] DEBUG: New seat added from logind: seat0
[+1.00s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Loading properties from config section Seat:*
[+1.00s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Starting
[+1.00s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Creating greeter session
[+1.00s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Creating display server of type x
[+1.00s] DEBUG: posix_spawn avoided (fd close requested) 
[+1.00s] DEBUG: Could not run plymouth --ping: Failed to execute child process “plymouth” (No such file or directory)
[+1.00s] DEBUG: Using VT 7
[+1.00s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Starting local X display on VT 7
[+1.00s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Logging to /var/log/lightdm/x-0.log
[+1.00s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Writing X server authority to /var/run/lightdm/root/:0
[+1.00s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Launching X Server
[+1.00s] DEBUG: Launching process 1156: /usr/bin/X :0 -seat seat0 -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -nolisten tcp vt7 -novtswitch
[+1.00s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Waiting for ready signal from X server :0
[+1.00s] DEBUG: Acquired bus name org.freedesktop.DisplayManager
[+1.00s] DEBUG: Registering seat with bus path /org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Seat0
[+1.00s] WARNING: Error getting user list from org.freedesktop.Accounts: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.Accounts was not provided by any .service files
[+1.00s] DEBUG: Loading user config from /etc/lightdm/users.conf

There's the plymouth message and rest of the lost logging. What da heck???

Based on just this it seems to me the plymouth message isn't responsible for your problem. I'd suspect something's funky with the NVIDIA drivers.

Reasoning behind - I've just installed Lithium on another old laptop. I wasn't able to get the display running properly until I purged NVIDIA drivers and reverted back to nouveau.

That said... the system I'm writing this one also has NVIDIA GTX 1060, rev a1. And this is working just fine... in any case that'd still where I'd start troubleshooting. This is a clean install, not an upgrade, and originally this also booted with nouveau. I downloaded and installed the NVIDIA drivers afterwards.

Last edited by Peregrino69 (2021-09-03 15:12:42)

#5 2021-09-03 15:10:33

md

I think the problem is that Screen 0 is the nvidia card in my laptop, which will be powered down by Optimus and X should be trying to start on Screen 2 which is the Intel graphics chip on the motherboard.

#6 2021-09-03 15:17:35

md

Another oddity, which may be related.

Before I added the 'nomodeset' to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX I could login with the cli login and startx and it worked (somewhat). Now when I try it I get the framebuffer error mentioned above.

When I say somewhat, X would start and some apps (e.g. Firefox and spotify) would work and some (e.g. terminator, synaptic) would not launch. Looking in the logs afterwards there were lots of GTK errors, but it did manage to startx

I'm thinking of reverting the 'nomodeset' and seeing if that remains the same, but some advice on how to actually fix X would be most useful.

#7 2021-09-03 15:19:02

Peregrino69

Hmm... I've gotta find out if my system also has another on-board Intel graphics chip I could use. From what I've found out with so-far-minimal searching graphics passthrough to a VM apparently requires two graphics cards...

#8 2021-09-03 15:29:19

md

So, when I unset the nomodeset, reinstall grub and reboot, I get the same blinking cursor/pointer screen, then reboot into CLI mode, and cat the /var/log/X.org.0.log

I see a whole bunch of good things like modes being set with the following errors

(EE) Failed to load module "nouveau" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) Failed to load module "nv" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) modeset(0): eglGetDisplay() failed
(EE) modeset(0): glamor initialization failed

I'm not convinced those should be fatal either.

When I startx in this state, X starts ok ish, with the same lack of some apps as I mentioned above.

Looking in the xsession-errors that produces I see

** (light-locker:1402): ERROR **: 15:29::56.229: Environment variable XDG_SESSION_PATH not set. Is LightDM running?

Which I guess makes sense as it isn't and then a lot of errors about unsupported image formats (png) also

XIO: fatal IO error 11 (resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0"

Last edited by md (2021-09-03 15:38:07)

#9 2021-09-03 16:01:13

md

Hmm maybe this helps, in /var/log/lightdm/seat0-greeter.log

Gtk:Error:../../../../gtk/gtkiconhelper.c:494:ensure_surface_for_gicon: assertion failed (error == NULL): Failed to load /usr/share/icons/Adwaita/16x16/status/image-missing.png: Unrecognized image file format (gdk-pixbuf-error-quark, 3)

BINGO!!!

A little bit of https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gdk-pixbuf/-/issues/159

and now I get a graphical login...

and X works, and the apps which failed to start before start.

Last edited by md (2021-09-03 16:04:44)

Board footer