You are not logged in.

#1 2021-08-28 10:00:15

xuve

[ANSWERED] Need Advice on removing An Application

Hello and thanks for these interesting forum discussions and treats ...(haven't forgot about Dxxo's biscuits yet...they're so cute)
I recently Installed a debi package through the Debi package Installer The application is shutter encoder v.15 and I want to remove it as it's of no use to me...I don't want to remove any files that are not linked to it and the terminal gives me this message when I try to remove it, I just want to know if this is SAFE to remove:

The following packages will be REMOVED:
  erlang-base erlang-cl erlang-crypto erlang-esdl erlang-syntax-tools
  erlang-wx erlang-xmerl libsctp1 libsdl-ttf2.0-0 shutter-encoder
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 10 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
After this operation, 277 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

Thank you in advance

Last edited by twoion (2021-08-28 17:25:44)

#2 2021-08-28 10:42:21

unklar
Back to the roots 1.9

Re: [ANSWERED] Need Advice on removing An Application

If you use the command:

apt show <package name>

apt will show you this, among other things:

Depends:
Recommends:
Suggests:
Replaces:
Conflicts:
Breaks:
Description:

After that you can decide yourself if the package(s) are still needed on your system.

#3 2021-08-28 12:32:30

sleekmason
zoom
Website

Another way to further your check is to also use "reverse depends" to find out what programs use those packages listed for removal:

apt rdepends erlang-base

This will give you every program dependent on erlang-base.

#4 2021-08-28 13:55:34

twoion
一期一会

xuve wrote:

Hello and thanks for these interesting forum discussions and treats ...(haven't forgot about Dxxo's biscuits yet...they're so cute)
I recently Installed a debi package through the Debi package Installer The application is shutter encoder v.15 and I want to remove it as it's of no use to me...I don't want to remove any files that are not linked to it and the terminal gives me this message when I try to remove it, I just want to know if this is SAFE to remove:

The following packages will be REMOVED:
  erlang-base erlang-cl erlang-crypto erlang-esdl erlang-syntax-tools
  erlang-wx erlang-xmerl libsctp1 libsdl-ttf2.0-0 shutter-encoder
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 10 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
After this operation, 277 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

Thank you in advance

Yes, this is safe!

apt will only ever to suggest to remove automatically installed packages that you did not explicitly install, in which case these dependencies are not needed by another package on your computer.

#5 2021-08-28 15:11:26

xuve

@ unklar apt show <pkg> gave me among other things this: Installed-Size: 254 MB  so that's OK because when I saw that it's going to remove 277 MB I got a bit concerned...these commands are really crucial and I am taking notes of them all the time...
@sleekmason: further technical details ...thanks It'll come in handy as well
@twoion: ha ha ha Great stuff in Linux... I am assured now that's why I quit windows as a basic system...(I used mac for ten years also)You certainly know what I am talking about... On windows when uninstalling/removing, the system  "intel inside" asks YOU the user to check if this or that file will no longer be of use to you because it's going to be removed....What? there is also that common folder that if ever it gets corrupt...well there is no comparison really..
thank you guys have a great day...

Board footer