You are not logged in.

#1 2021-07-30 17:38:14

rocky33

Need help setting up dual boot system

I am trying to set up a dual boot system with Windows 10 and Lithium.

I shrunk a partition using Windows Disk Management. It is showing up in Windows as - System Reserved + 150gb volume + 390gb volume + 314gb volume + 80gb unallocated.

I am trying to install Lithium into this 80gb unallocated space.

But, when I look at this on live USB, then it's showing up as - System Reserved + 150gb volume + 785gb volume.

Somehow, all the last three are clubbed together. I suspect it has something to do with partition table or MBR. Any idea where to go from here?

#2 2021-07-30 17:53:09

twoion
一期一会

Re: Need help setting up dual boot system

If your disk is still using MBR and not GPT (you can confirm in Windows), then there's a the "extended" partition which then can be subvidided into logical partitions. It is a hack in order to support more than 4 partitions on MBR. Can you confirm that the stuff the Debian installer is clubbing together is an extended partition? If so there should be a away to show the logical partitions contained within the extended partition.

If your system supports it, in this case, I would convert the MBR to GPT using Windows first , see the official docs here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window … a-gpt-disk, which will leave you with a GPT, which is easier to handle.

#3 2021-08-27 05:15:17

rocky33

Re: Need help setting up dual boot system

Ended up completely removing Windows and using BL Lithium as my daily driver. Learned a lot about disk partitioning, though.

Board footer