You are not logged in.

#76 2021-03-18 02:23:18

sleekmason
zoom
Website

Re: New ISO build to try!

johnraff wrote:
sleekmason wrote:

Still hoping for an obmenu update from a disgruntled programmer on github somewhere.

You know, of course, that "obmenu" does not provide the openbox menu? It's just a GUI for editing openbox's menu.xml ...or was - apart from needing an upgrade to use python3, it seems to have been abandoned by the developer.

---

Yes:) I don't use it myself because I add icons to the entries and Obmenu doesn't. (Not that I am aware anyway). Easy enough to grab a section and paste it back, but I can see where people might get confused.

Just seems like folks should have an easy way to edit the menu on the fly.

I think there were two or three dependencies for Obmenu that were no longer going to be available in Bullseye.

Go figure. You would think as popular as it is, Openbox would have a couple of different menu editors available.

Last edited by sleekmason (2021-03-18 02:27:31)

#77 2021-03-18 02:40:42

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Python2 will be gone from Bullseye as I understand it, so obmenu might need a lot of rewriting - by the Debian maintainer since upstream have dropped it. Understandable if he didn't feel like taking it on.

Openbox is still somewhat popular, but doesn't have much of a long-term future IMO. Even if Wayland fails, X is still a mess that will have to be replaced with something else eventually.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#78 2021-03-18 06:20:27

ohnonot
...again

sleekmason wrote:

You would think as popular as it is, Openbox would have a couple of different menu editors available.

Most of openbox' popularity stems from LXDE/LXQt, where it is used solely as a window manager - the root menu is not used at all (at least not by default).

That said, I completely switched over to obmenu-generator which allows for creating a fixed or dynamic menu, with your own entries and an XDG menu as well. And menu items to regenerate it: fixed or dynamic, with or without icons etc. Powerful.
Editing its schema.pl file is definitely easier than editing openbox' menu.xml.

Give to COVAX! Here or here. (explanation)
My Repos: notabug | framagit

#79 2021-03-18 13:42:46

sleekmason
zoom
Website

johnraff wrote:

Python2 will be gone from Bullseye as I understand it, so obmenu might need a lot of rewriting - by the Debian maintainer since upstream have dropped it. Understandable if he didn't feel like taking it on.

Openbox is still somewhat popular, but doesn't have much of a long-term future IMO. Even if Wayland fails, X is still a mess that will have to be replaced with something else eventually.

---

Been reading up a bit on Wayland.  It looks like a workaround for X using Xwayland exists but things like this are never ideal.   

I remember you writing about all this a while back as being the instigation for the change to Jgmenu in BL, due to the upcoming WM change that would be required when switching to Wayland?

Honestly looks like quite a mess for all of the smaller WM's.  Have you all decided on a future replacement yet?

Further reading for those interested.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/wayland
Wayland-Wiki

Last edited by sleekmason (2021-03-18 15:43:17)

#80 2021-03-18 13:52:18

sleekmason
zoom
Website

ohnonot wrote:
sleekmason wrote:

You would think as popular as it is, Openbox would have a couple of different menu editors available.

Most of openbox' popularity stems from LXDE/LXQt, where it is used solely as a window manager - the root menu is not used at all (at least not by default).

That said, I completely switched over to obmenu-generator which allows for creating a fixed or dynamic menu, with your own entries and an XDG menu as well. And menu items to regenerate it: fixed or dynamic, with or without icons etc. Powerful.

---

I saw obmenu-generator a while back, but it either wasn't available in Buster at the time, or I just couldn't figure it out. Looks like a new view is in order:)

All sorts of changes coming down the pike for the full build. New theme,  Losing the toggles between the wm's except for JWM, and Openbox, and switching back to using pcmanfm for wallpaper control with desktop icons now available are just a few of them. Good stuff.

*Edit - Obmenu-generator is looking like a real possibility now! Thanks:)

Last edited by sleekmason (2021-03-18 14:13:58)

#81 2021-03-18 13:52:25

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

ohnonot wrote:
sleekmason wrote:

Obmenu-generator has been around a while and looks like not much development in a while. Does it still work for you and wondering if it will still work in bullseye/sid?

Maybe this can be an alternative for obmenu editor for those who prefer using the OB session rather than the BL/jgmenu session.

Real Men Use Linux

#82 2021-03-18 14:01:48

sleekmason
zoom
Website

DeepDayze wrote:
ohnonot wrote:
sleekmason wrote:

Obmenu-generator has been around a while and looks like not much development in a while. Does it still work for you and wondering if it will still work in bullseye/sid?

Maybe this can be an alternative for obmenu editor for those who prefer using the OB session rather than the BL/jgmenu session.

https://github.com/trizen/obmenu-generator
https://github.com/trizen/obmenu-genera … INSTALL.md
https://software.opensuse.org/download. … -generator

This is looking very doable at the moment:)  Got a few other projects to check first but this really does look like a good possibility!  Yes!

#83 2021-03-18 16:49:49

eight.bit.al

Sparky Linux has been using obmeny-generator in Buster, but I see not in Bulseye. Don't know why, but I could ask on their forum.

sparky.th.png

8bit

If art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time.

#84 2021-03-18 18:13:43

sleekmason
zoom
Website

eight.bit.al wrote:

Sparky Linux has been using obmeny-generator in Buster, but I see not in Bulseye. Don't know why, but I could ask on their forum.

https://scrot.cloud/images/2021/03/18/sparky.th.png

8bit

More info the better!  smile

#85 2021-03-18 18:43:39

eight.bit.al

pavroo (the dev) sayz "Missing dependencies in Bullseye (gtk2-perl (Gtk2)); thats why changed to jgmenu."

8bit

#86 2021-03-18 18:48:34

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

eight.bit.al wrote:

pavroo (the dev) sayz "Missing dependencies in Bullseye (gtk2-perl (Gtk2)); thats why changed to jgmenu."

8bit

Fair assessment by that dev. Like was mentioned above, obmenu would need a rewrite in order to support gtk3 and thus dropped from bullseye. Also it's nice to see jgmenu being taken up by more distros as a very good alternative to the openbox menu.

Last edited by DeepDayze (2021-03-18 18:49:28)

Real Men Use Linux

#87 2021-03-18 20:19:18

sleekmason
zoom
Website

eight.bit.al wrote:

8bit

Ack.  Well, I'll look into it anyway. Thank you much for doing the footwork.

OT - See what you mean now with the installer. roll  I was working without all the info.

For anyone not needing secureboot, the installer only uses isolinux, which contained my groovy splash (eh . .) and everything kinda sorta looked okay.

With secure boot, a grub screen comes up first, and is a disaster without some modification of at least the splash.

Well at least now I know. @johnraff told me at least two times that I needed all the bootloaders, but I'm stubborn that way sometimes. Live-build indicates otherwise in their manual, but for specific uses.  Anyway, working on it.  Also popped some more "ath-9-10-11" firmware into the installer for an easier go at it network wise.

Probably still have a couple questions concerning that grub screen for another thread. A large black box pops up for a second or two when initializing the installer itself.  Guessing it is an info box I could use?  anyway . .

@DeepDayze - Yep, lol always something:)

@Damo - Thank you again for the Updated Hotcorners script! Working now.

I'll go ahead and push another minimal build tonight or tommorow morning with my latest installer work (not much), and hotcorners available for all wm's again.

Also a small error fixed in the Lilidog-Clay theme.  It is updated in my Git-Themes for those that want to grab/pull it again. line 4130 in gtk-contained.css changed from "#black" to "transparent". 

Edit*  - Or don't bother? . .  This was an error already present in the theme, and was commented out to take care of the shading issue in the tooltips in Thunar, among others. (Apparently.)

Simply having it throw a warning in lxterminal doesn't mean it needs to be fixed as such, but I noticed it, and switching to "transparent" does the trick just as well without throwing the error:)

The lightdm section was updated recently as well to match better.

Last edited by sleekmason (2021-03-18 21:38:54)

#88 2021-03-20 08:12:07

dolly
Miss Mixunderstand

This is looking really good @sleekmason. Congratulations, and thank you for your work. Will do a download and have a look on the live session. Very sweet and tasty that light grey theme of yours. smile

A bit nerdy, trying to grow up.

#89 2021-03-20 14:53:02

sleekmason
zoom
Website

dolly wrote:

This is looking really good @sleekmason. Congratulations, and thank you for your work. Will do a download and have a look on the live session. Very sweet and tasty that light grey theme of yours. smile

Thank you! This has just been all sorts of fun:)

#90 2021-03-24 20:13:02

sleekmason
zoom
Website

Okie Dokie,

Went ahead and made three different builds trying to figure out the direction I wanted to go.  (Seems I'm into the theming a bit).
Two of the builds use lxde as the base for everything, and one build giving control to the window manager(s).

I made one build with full desktop icon support controlled by pcmanfm which was pretty cool, but this meant a switch to pcmanfm which would completely negate all the hours I spent getting Thunar to work properly. Lol.

The two others use feh to set the wallpaper, and have huge potential for further options I think.

Couldn't get Feh to behave with Lxde when setting the initial wallpaper without making a direct line to the wallpaper.png

If someone has an answer to this, would love to hear the solution.  Currently have tried every combination under the sun,
using the .desktop file for the initial command in ~.config/autostart, and also in lxsession/autostart. And every form of ~/.fehbg &(there's three start commands in contention for the best apparently roll ). 

One problem here is that feh will work AFTER the first initialization. Thus reading from ~/.fehbg just fine for the user afterwards.
But, for the Live environment and the initial start, it must be hardlined:  feh --bg-scale '/home/wallpaper/Lilidog-Paws.png' Feh then works properly with the user only having to manually change the entry in the auto start to '~/.fehbg' ..hmm.

But zero problems setting feh in the window managers!  I took it as a sign:)

So, the route I am going to go for a while is to lose lxde and stick with window manager control for everything. So far so good. lxappearance controls everything but the font tinting.  (simple missing package?)

From now on I'm only keeping two builds rather than three. One stable and one sid/unstable. 

Keeping both for the same reason I have more than one WM in the distro. --  Better to check theme items and other configurations over a wide environment.

Currently:

This is a no recommends build. (they all have been for quite a while). Just thought I should mention it.
No more lxde, though still using lxde components for the base items where necessary.
Because no more lxde, - no more toggles between WM's within the session -- These were fun for a bit:) 
Got a few more ideas for toggles in mind. Coming soon.
The other window managers are still there! And can be accessed through lightdm at login.
New Lilidog-Clay theme incorporated everywhere. Loads of fun that.
Root is themed a bit now too!
Conky still has it's issues giving incorrect readings for ram and net speed.
No more Obmenu in Sid, edit openbox through ~/.config/openbox/menu.xml for now . . .
Still a basic build, but with most items needed to get by. Hp printer support out of the box.
Finally set up a ~/Pictures/wallpapers folder. Yay! Kinda weak but a good start.
More improvements coming.  Please tell me if you have a problem with something.
The installer still needs work and a theme change.
New Hotcorners script with supporting BL script. Ha! Works well.
Thank you Bunsenlabs team for being so helpful!

Anyhow, I can't make the Bullseye build for now. Had it for a while, but nothing lines up for bullseye for a bit longer now.

But, I did make the full sid build here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/lilido … /Releases/
And have also updated Lilidog-Buster with everything new.  A final release of sorts for Buster.

I am keeping the build with lxde as a base if something doesn't seem to work out here and I have to switch back.

So far so good! Let me know!

I'll try a Bullseye build in a week or two.  As soon as I can build it, I will change Lilidog to Bullseye and push a release.

#91 2021-04-01 16:49:44

ohnonot
...again

^ Great that you're still at it! I like your doggedness (pun intended) big_smile

DeepDayze wrote:

Of course it works for me, why else would I be recommending it.
There's no need for "much development" when something works. Openbox itself hasn't seen "much development in a while" and yet it works perfectly (well, almost).

And just to clarify, obmenu-generator does not depend on any GTK.

Last edited by ohnonot (2021-04-01 16:55:37)

Give to COVAX! Here or here. (explanation)
My Repos: notabug | framagit

#92 2021-04-02 13:23:00

sleekmason
zoom
Website

ohnonot wrote:

^ Great that you're still at it! I like your doggedness (pun intended) big_smile

DeepDayze wrote:

Of course it works for me, why else would I be recommending it.
There's no need for "much development" when something works. Openbox itself hasn't seen "much development in a while" and yet it works perfectly (well, almost).

And just to clarify, obmenu-generator does not depend on any GTK.

----

Thank you so much:)

I finally have the sid build overall complete, with jgmenu and xfce4-settings for gtk changes. (Had issues with lxappearance/lxde-settings-manager).

The further into the process, the more complicated everything becomes.  Learning loads of new stuff.

Jgmenu is not currently in the Bullseye repos.  Don't know if it will be or not.

Finally looked at obmenu-generator a bit and like what I see! Will give it a try soon as well!

#93 2021-04-04 21:26:45

Colonel Panic

Lilidog passes the memory test, at least on my machine; even with less than 400 MB of memory left free (5.2 out of 5.6 GB occupied), I was still able to shut down windows in Firefox and get the system back on track without having to shut it down and reboot it.

Last edited by Colonel Panic (2021-04-04 21:27:50)

#94 2021-04-05 13:24:36

sleekmason
zoom
Website

Colonel Panic wrote:

Lilidog passes the memory test, at least on my machine; even with less than 400 MB of memory left free (5.2 out of 5.6 GB occupied), I was still able to shut down windows in Firefox and get the system back on track without having to shut it down and reboot it.

-----
Glad it is working for you:)

Just updated both builds with Picom.  Ran into a problem when waking with a double finger scroll.  sets off a flickering mess.  The fix (for now. apparently . . .maybe . .) is to set:

#backend = "glx"
backend = "xrender";

and "move focus under mouse when switching desktops" in the Openbox configuration. * edit <-- This probably doesn't matter.

If you encounter the flickering, Toggling Picom off/on will fix.

Full Sid build is available for download, and the Bullseye build is uploading, and should be available in a few hours.  Basically the builds are the same for now, except jgmenu is not available in Bullseye yet.  The config files are in place however, making the transition easy if wanted.

Please let me know of any issues.  I continue to fix them as fast as I find them:)

Last edited by sleekmason (2021-04-05 23:39:32)

#95 2021-08-12 21:17:38

Colonel Panic

Back using LiliDog again as I had a spare 11.6 GB of space on my hard drive, and even with that and a couple of extra programs installed I still have 5 GB of space left over.

It's working well and looks very smart too. A fine effort.

Last edited by Colonel Panic (2021-08-12 21:18:59)

#96 2021-08-13 15:19:24

sleekmason
zoom
Website

Colonel Panic wrote:

Back using LiliDog again as I had a spare 11.6 GB of space on my hard drive, and even with that and a couple of extra programs installed I still have 5 GB of space left over.

It's working well and looks very smart too. A fine effort.

----

Thank you!

#97 2021-08-16 22:55:40

Colonel Panic

You're welcome smile I've made a couple of small changes to the menu in FluxBox though, enabling the entry for Pcmanfm and adding an entry for Dmenu just above it. I may do the same for the Pekwm menu later.

#98 2021-08-24 13:16:39

sleekmason
zoom
Website

I've added a 32 bit i386 version with a i686-pae kernel for older hardware and Virtualbox use.  There are currently three versions available.

Bullseye-amd64
Bullseye-i386
Sid-amd64

I recommend using the 'expert' installer for access to backports and proper clock configuration, though the time can be changed after install if necessary.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/lilido … /Releases/

Screenshot-from-2021-08-24-07-49-16.png

FYI - the ubuntu virtualbox ubuntu 19.10 / 20.04 / 20.10 / 21.04 deb works perfectly fine right now in Bullseye. Keep in mind that this is an Ubuntu deb package, but don't see any issues with it as it doesn't pull in any weird dependencies. Use at your own risk.

* NOTE - The debian 11 version of Virtualbox is now available for download.
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

Last edited by sleekmason (2021-09-05 20:39:46)

#99 2021-08-24 13:31:14

eight.bit.al

^ Nice colors. Have to give it a whirl.

8bit

#100 2021-08-25 02:51:28

hhh
Meep!
Website

eight.bit.al wrote:

^ Nice colors.

No, that is a gorgeous desktop, not just "nice".

Board footer