You are not logged in.

#1 2021-08-14 02:30:13

jjbackagain

How do I connect to a SMB share on my network?

I am trying to connect to a SMB share on my network... after much google and searching the forum I am still confused as nearly every search provides a different solution or talking about accessing films on my laptop from windows or something.

Browsing in Thunar I click on networking and there is a "windows network" but clicking on that shows nothing.

Like do I need to install smb_client or cifs-utils or something?

TL;DR : How can I connect to a SMB Share on my network from my BusenLabs Laptop?

Thanks.

Last edited by jjbackagain (2021-08-14 02:42:07)

#2 2021-08-14 03:05:46

PackRat
jgmenu user Numero Uno

Re: How do I connect to a SMB share on my network?

Search this forum for "thunar smb share" or something similar. I think you will need the gvfs-smb, cfis-utils, and smbclient installed.

The topic has been brought up a couple times so you should get some hits.

You must unlearn what you have learned.
    -- yoda

#3 2021-08-14 03:51:28

jjbackagain

I did a bunch of searches... but like I said in the OP there was a lot of contradicting information and much of it was talking about other things...

I got the mount to work using this...

sudo apt install cifs-utils
mkdir ~/smbShares
sudo mount -t cifs -o rw,vers=3.0,credentials=/root/.smbcredentials //xxx.xxx.xxx.xx/sharename ~/smbShares

the .smbcredentials just contains the user/password for the share
sudo nvim /root/.smbcredentials

username=smb_username
password=smb_password

Now I can see the share in the folder I made in Thunar as well as using terminal (I basically hardly ever use a GUI file manager)

So I tried to edit my fstab to automout... by adding this line to the fstab
sudo nvim /etc/fstab

//xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/sharename       /home/itisme/smbShare        cifs    vers3.0,credentials=/root/.smbcredentials

So now what... how do I make it automount? or add the mount command to the bunsenlabs autostarts script.

I can not add it to the autostart as it needs sudo right? The sudo also means I can not add it to the hotkeys eithers like mod4+n or something like that....

Last edited by jjbackagain (2021-08-14 04:14:41)

#4 2021-08-18 21:18:40

jjbackagain

Any help?

Looking for a way to run "sudo mount" from a hotkey... or getting it to work in fstab... but being able to mount or unmount with a hotkey binding would be fine... maybe even  better.

#5 2021-08-18 21:41:33

rbh

jjbackagain wrote:

Looking for a way to run "sudo mount" from a hotkey... or getting it to work in fstab... but being able to mount or unmount with a hotkey binding would be fine... maybe even  better.

I prefer to set up network shares in /etc/fstab, with options "user,noauto", especialey if it is a laptop sometimes used outside the lan.

I think ArchLinux wiki page. https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Samba, should be sufficient to guide you.

You can create an tint2 button and an hotkey.

// Regards rbh

Please read before requesting help: Guide to getting help,
Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

Board footer