You are not logged in.

#1 2021-08-12 19:05:26

Colonel Panic

Debian 11 and QT4 applications

Hi everyone,

I'm sure most of you know that support for QT4-based apps has been phased out over the course of the Debian 10 release, and that Debian 11 will be QT5-only.

My question is about where that leaves those of us who still use apps which require QT4, such as Portabase (a very useful if rather simple database program IMO)? For the time being we're fine because Ubuntu 18.04 LTS still supports QT4, but that won't last forever (18.04 is due to be phased out in April 2023).

Is it possible to install QT4 separately and to a specific place in the tree, or to make the QT4 apps "portable" so that they contain their own QT4 libraries? Or is there another solution which doesn't involve discarding Portabase, or similar apps, altogether?

Thanks in advance,

CP .

P.S. It may be a day or two before I reply but I wanted to get this "out there" in advance of the release of Debian 11, which I believe is imminent now.

Last edited by Colonel Panic (2021-08-12 19:07:19)

#2 2021-08-13 11:55:02

twoion
一期一会

Re: Debian 11 and QT4 applications

Sure, the process is just the same as compiling any other program with our without dependencies from source: install qt build deps, build qt4, install into separate prefix, build the program, link against qt4 inside said prefix, run program. (=Bootstrap).

Simplest way overall: just run a virtual machine that has the required OS and the required programs installed. Easy. If you want an up to date OS with Qt4 instead of an outdated OS with Qt4, just use Arch Linux inside the VM; you can just " pacaur  -Sa --aur-buildonly --noconfirm --rebuild qt4" and it'll build & install Qt4 and all dependencies fully automated from the AUR. If the AUR has your program of choice, you could even just "pacaur  -Sa --aur-buildonly --noconfirm --rebuild akonadi-qt4" for example. No accident that Valve chose Arch for the Steam Deck.

Modern way ("automatic containers"): snaps, appimage, flatpak where the application comes with libraries included. Of course, somebody needs to create this "image" first.

Manual way ("manual containers"): run debian:10 inside a container with the program installed and make it use the host's X server, also works using systemd-run/machinectl. Or use lxc and just run any distro inside a container fully bootstrapped, again, use the host's X server.

#3 2021-08-13 14:13:59

Colonel Panic

Re: Debian 11 and QT4 applications

Thanks!

Board footer