You are not logged in.

#1 2021-06-18 14:58:41

sniper-kun

How to make Portable Firefox the default web browser [Solved]

Hello, noob here. I downloaded Firefox 89 and extracted the folder to /opt/, but how do I set it as the default web browser and make it appear on the list of applications? I haven't found any guides specific to BunsenLabs online so I'm asking here. Please guide me like you would with an infant, I'm new to this.
Also I purged FF ESR, I hope that was allowed to do.
Thanks to any help that will come my way, have a nice one.

Last edited by sniper-kun (2021-06-19 16:59:28)

#2 2021-06-18 17:17:45

rbh

Re: How to make Portable Firefox the default web browser [Solved]

sniper-kun wrote:

I downloaded Firefox 89 and extracted the folder to /opt/, but how do I set it as the default web browser and make it appear on the list of applications?

You can run application "galternatives" and under x-www-browsers add /opt/[path]/[binary/skript]
But, you can only list program as installed, those that are installed.
You have not installed  Firefox 89...
You can associate thunar (or whatever file-manager you use) to open html-files with firefox 89.

Also I purged FF ESR, I hope that was allowed to do.

Of course. You can install and remove/purge any software you want or dislike.

Last edited by rbh (2021-06-18 17:19:09)

// Regards rbh

Please read before requesting help: Guide to getting help,
Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

#3 2021-06-18 17:20:04

damo
....moderator....

You can set an alternative for an application using Menu > System > Edit Debian Alternatives.

There is a specific browser option in Menu > System > Set Default Browser

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#4 2021-06-18 18:19:31

rbh

damo wrote:

You can set an alternative for an application using Menu > System > Edit Debian Alternatives.

That menu choice, starts program "galternatives"

There is a specific browser option in Menu > System > Set Default Browser

With that option, you can only choose between installed browsers

// Regards rbh

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

#5 2021-06-18 21:39:07

damo
....moderator....

^ I know all that. I was showing the appropriate menu entries available for a new user.

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#6 2021-06-19 03:15:23

sniper-kun

rbh wrote:

You can run application "galternatives" and under x-www-browsers add /opt/[path]/[binary/skript]
But, you can only list program as installed, those that are installed.
You have not installed  Firefox 89...

Ah, okay. I tried searching for the way to install from .tar.bz2 but couldn't figure it out.
Right now I run Firefox 89 with alt+F2 -> /opt/firefox/firefox, it's not pretty at all but it works so I'll stick to that.
Thanks.

#7 2021-06-19 06:51:39

rbh

damo wrote:

^ I know all that. I was showing the appropriate menu entries available for a new user.

Yes, thought so. But my comment was for sniper-kun's and other new users eyes.

Thought it was appropriate to mention that it does not matter if you start a program from the menu or terminal or... But that an menu entruy to choose browser between installed browsers is not appropriate when you want to choos a non intalled browser...

// Regards rbh

#8 2021-06-19 07:53:26

rbh

sniper-kun wrote:

Ah, okay. I tried searching for the way to install from .tar.bz2 but couldn't figure it out.

But not all tarbals is meant to be installed! Some tarbals, is "source" and meant to be compiled and installed. https://askubuntu.com/questions/25961/h … r-bz2-file

Some tarbals is portable programs https://www.maketecheasier.com/portable-apps-for-linux. You can unpack and copy your mozilla download to an usb-stick and run it from any computer with Linux. The tarbal contains all that is nessesary to run Firefox, except the OS.

Right now I run Firefox 89 with alt+F2 -> /opt/firefox/firefox, it's not pretty at all but it works so I'll stick to that.

What's "unpretty" with starting a program with "gmrun" (Alt+F2). I use it often, maybe more than the menu... But, it is a little lengthy to type whole path. You can create an symlink: ~/bin/firefox, that points to /opt/firefox/firefox. then you probably only need to type "fire TAB", to get the command to start /opt/firefox/firefox.
If you don't have ~/bin, I recommend you to create it and add that directory to your path.

Galternatives, make /opt/firefox/firefox start if you are reading mail in thunderbird and klicking a weblink.

You can also edit the menu "Web Browser" (entry for editing the menu, on the menu).

The subject maybe should been "How to make Portable Firefox the default web browser"..

If that straightens out all your questionmarks, you can edit the thread's subject in the first post and prepend [Solved].

Last edited by rbh (2021-06-19 09:32:42)

// Regards rbh

#9 2021-06-19 16:58:54

sniper-kun

rbh wrote:

What's "unpretty" with starting a program with "gmrun" (Alt+F2). I use it often, maybe more than the menu... But, it is a little lengthy to type whole path. You can create an symlink: ~/bin/firefox, that points to /opt/firefox/firefox. then you probably only need to type "fire TAB", to get the command to start /opt/firefox/firefox.
If you don't have ~/bin, I recommend you to create it and add that directory to your path.

Galternatives, make /opt/firefox/firefox start if you are reading mail in thunderbird and klicking a weblink.

You can also edit the menu "Web Browser" (entry for editing the menu, on the menu).

I only managed to edit the menu entry, it's a small first step but I'm proud of myself. Currently I have no idea how to create a symlink or make it so links open with /opt/firefox/firefox, but I'll try again.

rbh wrote:

The subject maybe should been "How to make Portable Firefox the default web browser"..

If that straightens out all your questionmarks, you can edit the thread's subject in the first post and prepend [Solved].

Ok

#10 2021-06-20 08:12:48

rbh

Creating softlink,was mentioned earlier in the thread. The command is "ln" (short for link) with flag "-s" (short for soft, followed with patht-name where the link shall point and path name of the link. But, maybe you shall make a startscipt instead. (see below)

I visited https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/in … efox-linux.
Under heading "Install outside of a package manager, there is a link to Installing Firefox on Ubuntu

Under the heading Installing from the Mozilla website the problemwith sharing the same profile between different versions of firefox is mentioned andthere is a new link: guide for installing Mozilla builds.

Do you realy want the mozilla build to be available for multiple users? If not, it is better to copy the firefox directory to $HOME, instead of to /opt.

I prefer copy portable apps to ~/bin/ and place softlinks/startskripts in ~/bin, which is in my path.

I created a firefox profile "mozilla-build", besides my previous profiles.
I created startskript ~/bin/ff to start portable Firefox with profile "mozilla-build"

#!/bin/bash
exec "$HOME/bin/firefox/firefox" -P mozilla-build 
END

If you use Mozillasync, you can sync bookmarks etc between the versions.

After thinking about it, I recommend you to reinstall stable firefox.

Last edited by rbh (2021-06-20 08:15:34)

// Regards rbh

Board footer