You are not logged in.

#3851 2021-06-05 10:48:02

el_koraco

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Yeah, the snaps thing is your typical Cannonical suboptimal standard that they run for a few years before capitulating before the Red Hat master developers.

Last edited by el_koraco (2021-06-05 10:48:22)

#3852 2021-06-05 13:37:21

twoion
ほやほや

el_koraco wrote:

Yeah, the snaps thing is your typical Cannonical suboptimal standard that they run for a few years before capitulating before the Red Hat master developers.

Canonical have the largest Linux deployment base world-wide (most of public clouds like AWS, Azure, GCP run Ubuntu the most!) but unlike RedHat, they still have massive problems monetizing their thing. Instead of hopping on the gravy train of massively funded RedHat projects like OpenShift, they go off the rails and make things like JuJu (https://juju.is) then wonder why nobody is buying enterprise support for that. When I look at job ads, everybody wants Kubernetes, OpenShift or OpenStack, but I never ever had somebody want Juju or "charmed kubernetes" experience from me hmm

Nassdachs

#3853 2021-06-05 16:18:24

eight.bit.al

Subjective opinion :
UIs can be tweaked to better suit the user,  but it's a trade off. How much does the user need to understand the UI to change it to their liking. Does one need to install some third party program to get there.

Compare it to smoking weed. The shorter the distance from the fire to the lips, the better. Fancy waterpipes need to be cleared between tokes, or the stored smoke will make you gag. Changing the water, cleaning the pipe, less complete combustion from lower combustion temps.

A joint eliminates all this. The combustion is hotter, more completely transferring the THC to the smoke. Less soot and tar created. Condensated THC gets burnt as the joint shortens. Nothing to clean. Easier for the band to pass around out back by the dumpster between sets.

Gnome seems built for phones (touch), with it's large icons, often covering several screens. Not mouse friendly, sometimes taking 4 or 5 clicks to get to the app desired. I don't believe one can change virtual desktops with the mouse without clicking on something, maybe several clicks.

POP! OS does Gnome very well with their key bindings and type to run dialog, whatever that's called. I read the latest iteration improves on it still. It still takes too much mouse work to manipulate the UI with the mouse, as compared with others.

If I'm using the KB, or using the mouse, have to be able to manipulate the UI with out changing to the other device. For me that's Xfce.  Openbox and Plasma get special mention. Mostly because I must have a right click menu when using the mouse.

I have no liking for desktop icons; like piling all the clean laundry on top of the dresser and not using the drawers. I use all of the desktop for programs, no room for docks or launchers. Panel set to auto hide; trimmed of all but volume, clipboard, and clock.
Spartan Minimalist.

I've mostly settled on Xfce, so it's what I can best describe from memory. 

Mouse: (from anywhere on the desktop*)
Change the virtual desktop with the mouse wheel.
Desktop icon layer turned off to access a right click menu.
  Menu can be easily edited to have most used programs at the top level.
Focus follows mouse.
  Auto raise window when focused.
Takes care of most of the mouse usage.

KB Bindings to do same with the KB.
Ctrl+Fkey to switch virtual desktop.
SuperKey  for xfdesktop --menu (no whisker menu)
Alt-TAB for focus.

* not going to travel across the desktop and have to hit a 36x36 pixel icon

8bit

Last edited by eight.bit.al (2021-06-05 16:33:31)

If art is how we decorate space; music is how we decorate time.

#3854 2021-06-05 19:12:40

MALsPa

eight.bit.al wrote:

Compare it to smoking weed.

lol

After eight.bit wrote all that, I feel like I should say I've changed my mind, and GNOME sucks!!

I don't know, maybe it isn't normal for somebody who enjoys using Openbox (it's my favorite, I think) to also enjoy using GNOME. Oh, well, I don't like that word "normal", especially these days!

#3855 2021-06-06 04:47:32

hhh
Meep!
Website

MALsPa wrote:
eight.bit.al wrote:

Compare it to smoking weed.

lol

After eight.bit wrote all that, I feel like I should say I've changed my mind, and GNOME sucks!!

Try GNOME while smoking weed, that's the ticket.

#3856 2021-06-06 08:18:13

glittersloth
buena piñata

twoion wrote:

... but I never ever had somebody want Juju or "charmed kubernetes" experience from me hmm

Open your own massage parlour and offer "charmed kubernetes" as one of the packages. I reckon you'll get more interest than Canonical does using that moniker.

MALsPa wrote:

I don't know, maybe it isn't normal for somebody who enjoys using Openbox (it's my favorite, I think) to also enjoy using GNOME. Oh, well, I don't like that word "normal", especially these days!

You're able to adapt and are perfectly normal from a human perspective. The rest of us are too busy fussing over rolling-paper thinness and forgot to evolve.

EdiT:
fwiw, OCB Ultimate > any other paper

Last edited by glittersloth (2021-06-06 08:22:16)

#3857 2021-06-06 10:10:26

el_koraco

Far be it from me to defend Gnome, but you can switch desktops without a single click. You throw the mouse into the top left corner and scroll your mouse wheel. It's pretty quick.

#3858 2021-06-06 16:08:56

glittersloth
buena piñata

el_koraco wrote:

Far be it from me to defend Gnome, but you can switch desktops without a single click. You throw the mouse into the top left corner and scroll your mouse wheel. It's pretty quick.

Yes, it's quick, but probably still an extra step for someone used to a simple mouse scroll-wheel turn (or trackpad two-finger swipe) on empty desktop space to switch workspaces. My ThinkPad's clit is quite good for top-left corner fingering, although I mostly stick to keybinds.

el_k, going back to that gnome-firefox-theme you mentioned before; I noticed there's a Yaru option in the installer script. Have you tried that before with Ubuntu's Yaru Dark theme? If yes, was the padding as wide as the Adwaita version?

#3859 2021-06-06 16:11:32

el_koraco

I think the trackpad gestures are a big thing in Gnome 40, but I don't have a trackpad. I have not tried the firefox gnome theme with Yaru, no idea what it does.

#3860 2021-06-06 17:57:27

damo
....moderator....

el_koraco wrote:

You could something similar with the bl-hotcorners script that was in Helium

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3861 2021-06-07 10:21:35

hhh
Meep!
Website

el_koraco wrote:

Far be it from me to defend Gnome, but you can switch desktops without a single click. You throw the mouse into the top left corner and scroll your mouse wheel.

Scrolling = clicking. Mouse gesture plus scrolling is worse than clicking. Assign a bloody keyboard shortcut to it, that's what the settings manager is for.

#3862 2021-06-10 16:23:34

twoion
ほやほや

Not often it is that I read about the place where I am having my private email hosted in the news (via).

Nassdachs

#3863 2021-06-10 17:06:31

glittersloth
buena piñata

^ At least it didn't kill your service outright, like the NSA did to some of us when they raided the old Lavabit sad

#3864 2021-06-11 18:34:12

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

Someone recently created three posts offering three different services.  None of which are Linux related.  The were however very similar to the meat product by the Hormel Foods Corporation.

And for those fine offers we just gave, Someone, a FREE life time ban from the forums.

HWY!  How about that our free service, ban, rhymes with the meat product by the Hormel Foods Corporation

We here at Bunsenlabs hope you enjoy your our FREE service.

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

#3865 2021-06-11 18:34:47

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

glittersloth wrote:

^ At least it didn't kill your service outright, like the NSA did to some of us when they raided the old Lavabit sad

I still get GRRRRR when I think about that!

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

#3866 2021-06-11 20:27:12

twoion
ほやほや

Buzzfeed has won a Pulitzer prize. Truly elevated "internet literature".

Nassdachs

#3867 2021-06-12 02:07:17

tamberoo

eight.bit.al wrote:

Subjective opinion :
UIs can be tweaked to better suit the user,  but it's a trade off. How much does the user need to understand the UI to change it to their liking. Does one need to install some third party program to get there.

When I read this a few days ago, the memory of it kept sticking around in my head, gently echoing around when I wouldn't expect it. It makes me now wonder about another question:

Will skeuomorphism return as a major UI "language"?

"Give to COVAX! Here or here. (explanation)" <== From this

Death to the Golden Rule fnord!

#3868 2021-06-12 05:50:32

glittersloth
buena piñata

Sector11 wrote:

Someone recently created three posts offering three different services.  None of which are Linux related.

I miss Baba Ji. He helped me find true love, inner peace, and a Gibraltar passport.

tamberoo wrote:

Will skeuomorphism return as a major UI "language"?

Oh please no!! I still wake up at night screaming after getting nightmares of someone rubbing Apple's old Notes app in my face.

#3869 2021-06-12 12:25:57

hhh
Meep!
Website

glittersloth wrote:

I miss Baba Ji. He helped me find true love, inner peace, and a Gibraltar passport.

Portugal? Bullshit, you've never been to Portugal. Photo of the passport or it never happened.

#3870 2021-06-15 04:52:35

ohnonot
...again

hhh wrote:
glittersloth wrote:

Portugal? Bullshit, you've never been to Portugal. Photo of the passport or it never happened.

Is this another (movie) quote? I don't get it. Makes zero sense to me.

Give to COVAX! Here or here. (explanation)

#3871 2021-06-15 05:01:16

johnraff
nullglob
Website

...so many things make no sense to me...

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#3872 2021-06-15 06:45:15

damo
....moderator....

ohnonot wrote:

Is this another (movie) quote? I don't get it. Makes zero sense to me.

It is a reference to incidents during the latter days of the Crunchbang forums.

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3873 2021-06-15 06:45:20

phuturism

Rightly or wrongly isn't Gibraltar part of the UK?  and off Spain not Portugal?

EDIT oh in-joke, ok..

Last edited by phuturism (2021-06-15 06:45:58)

#3874 2021-06-15 08:01:38

el_koraco

I've been to Gibraltar. Cool place.

#3875 2021-06-29 02:24:18

johnraff
nullglob
Website

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

Board footer