You are not logged in.

#1 2021-06-07 05:03:57

august

Anyone have vaapi working in Chrome (or Firefox?)

I'm having some trouble with getting hardware accelerated video working right in Google Chrome.  I'd like to get it working if possible, but it seems like Google is pretty good at breaking it at a moment's notice.  I'd be open to using Firefox, if someone can vouch for hardware video decode working there at the moment.

Where I'm at with Chrome:

I'm on a Haswell laptop
vaapi works fine playing youtube streams with mpv and hwdec=auto
I've tried about every combination of flags I've found on the arch wiki and in the arch forum thread on the subject I can think of. Doing so I've managed to get every entry in chrome://gpu green/enabled, including Video Decode.
I've got h246ify enhanced blocking everything but h264.

So vaapi seems to working fine outside of Chrome, I've passed enough flags that Chrome itself claims that hardware video decode is enabled, and I've got h264ify running. But any video I play is still FFmpegVideoDecoder all day long all up in here.

The errors I'm consistently getting are:

[2877:2877:0607/010516.308010:ERROR:gpu_init.cc(440)] Passthrough is not supported, GL is desktop
[2877:2877:0607/010516.327936:ERROR:sandbox_linux.cc(374)] InitializeSandbox() called with multiple threads in process gpu-process.

About half the arch forum thread is people who are stumped, so I expect there's a good chance this is just broken at the moment (and maybe for the foreseeable future) but I thought I'd check in and see if anyone has some kind of hardware video decode going on in their browser on their Bunsenlabs setup.

Last edited by august (2021-06-07 18:02:13)

Board footer