You are not logged in.

#3801 2021-05-13 06:43:26

ohnonot
...again

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

ohnonot wrote:

Does anybody know how to donate to COVAX? They don't even have their own website, and search results only come back with governments donating to it...

the wikipedia page says this about private donors which leads me to this Reuters article which leads me to this site.
It is sad that the world doesn't even care enough to give COVAX a proper website (it's a Squarespace website, which isn't proper in my book). Anyhow, the data checks out. Mystery solved.

edit:
oh no, it isn't that simple. There doesn't seem to be one central place to donate to covax.
gavi.org (Gavi) and gogiveone.org (WHO) seem to be the most direct ways to give (both organisations are part of the COVAX alliance).
Reading these two articles there's more options, but I'm leery of any other 3rd party involved.

See my signature.
Y'all might think I'm virtue signalling now, but this was on my mind ever since I got the shot.

Last edited by ohnonot (2021-05-13 07:42:16)

Give to COVAX! Here or here. (explanation)

#3802 2021-05-18 14:56:01

tamberoo

ohnonot wrote:
ohnonot wrote:

Does anybody know how to donate to COVAX? They don't even have their own website, and search results only come back with governments donating to it...

the wikipedia page says this about private donors which leads me to this Reuters article which leads me to this site.
It is sad that the world doesn't even care enough to give COVAX a proper website (it's a Squarespace website, which isn't proper in my book). Anyhow, the data checks out. Mystery solved.

edit:
oh no, it isn't that simple. There doesn't seem to be one central place to donate to covax.
gavi.org (Gavi) and gogiveone.org (WHO) seem to be the most direct ways to give (both organisations are part of the COVAX alliance).
Reading these two articles there's more options, but I'm leery of any other 3rd party involved.

See my signature.
Y'all might think I'm virtue signalling now, but this was on my mind ever since I got the shot.

Wow! Thanks for the post, this is super useful.

I just now am getting over the effects of my second shot (go Pfizer), and I was thinking almost the same thing. It wasn't too pleasant of an experience but I would rather go through 1 shot like this rather than live for a few weeks on an intubator and have to live with the long term effects of that for the rest of my life.

Would you mind if I appended your signature to the end of mine? I wanna share that info too =]

"Give to COVAX! Here or here. (explanation)" <== From this

Death to the Golden Rule fnord!

#3803 2021-05-19 04:11:10

hhh
Meep!
Website

One note, a close friend have mine says he has tinnitus as a result of the second Pfizer shot. He's an audiophile who's in his fifties, so I believe him. Apparently it's a not too rare side effect, also loss of smell (which of course means loss of some taste).

#3804 2021-05-19 05:09:01

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^Loss of smell is a well-know symptom of Covid infection.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#3805 2021-05-21 09:15:18

twoion
ほやほや

twoion wrote:

Rant but not only:

Germany's government staffed with spineless malicious partisan idiots including and especially comprised of our dear chancellor Mrs Merkel who commands a creativity in policy making akin to reading from and piping to /dev/null have decided to implement upload filters for user generated content on the internet, forcing content hosters to "comply" with regulations that are internet-destroying. For example, submitted and uploaded content including text now should be scanned for rights-infringing material, text quotes protected by copyright must now only be a maximum of n characters long, and of course posting links to possibly copyright-infringing material without remuneration is a boo-boo thing now.

(...)

Update: This law has now just been passed in its most detrimental form. Motions by the opposition to lessen the impact were denied by the partisan majority backing the government. I'm still waiting for a final comprehensive analysis of real life consequences for forum communities like us; I'm currently reading through the law itself but it's quite long. Let somebody else make an executive summary for me.

Primary source: https://www.bundestag.de/dokumente/text … cht-826552 (German only).

Nassdachs

#3806 2021-05-21 11:34:43

misko_2083

When are you moving the forum to the new location without the thought police law?

I got an email from YouTube informing me of it's right to monetize all videos not belonging to monetized channels.

YouTube wrote:

Ажурираћемо YouTube услове коришћења 1. јуна 2021. да бисмо појаснили које су активности забрањене и како монетизујемо Садржај на Услузи:

Право на монетизацију
YouTube-у дајете право да монетизује ваш Садржај на Услузи (и таква монетизација може да укључује приказивање огласа на или у оквиру Садржаја или наплаћивање накнаде корисницима за приступ). Под овим Уговором не остварујете право на добијање уплата. Од 1. јуна 2021. све уплате од YouTube-а на које имате право, по било ком уговору између вас и YouTube-а (укључујући на пример уплате на основу YouTube партнерског програма, чланстава канала или Super Chat-а), биће третиране као ауторске накнаде. Ако закон то налаже, Google ће платити порез по одбитку на такве уплате.

So now YouTube can atick adds or charge $ for access to the videos you posted.
From now on even more adds.

This content is censored by the German government.

#3807 2021-05-21 12:58:57

twoion
ほやほや

misko_2083 wrote:

So now YouTube can atick adds or charge $ for access to the videos you posted.
From now on even more adds.

I only watch youtube through youtube-dl. I haven't seen an ad since forever. As long as they are not using in-stream ads --- whatever floats their boat. I have no stocks in the yt ad economy.

Nassdachs

#3808 2021-05-21 16:37:05

misko_2083

twoion wrote:

I have no stocks in the yt ad economy.

What do you know.
And here I thought you are a stock market shark. big_smile

So, how is forum policing going to work?
Will you have to install a third-party software that filters posts and sends back usage data?
Will you have to allow it to scan the site and report or is it going to do that in real-time?
Like sending content of the post somewhere for processing (to the ministry of information) and back. While saving the raw uncensored copy permanently on some remote server into the generated user profiles.
Imagine if you only have to scan the forum posts and censor all the movie links hhh posted so far. ^_^

What you need is organized strike. Imagine all the websites at once print this message on the home page:
"This content is now censored by the German government."
How big would the protests be the next day?

Last edited by misko_2083 (2021-05-21 16:38:18)

#3809 2021-05-21 16:49:36

misko_2083

Here in the signature, someone has to be the first.
Now it just has to spread over the social media.

#3810 2021-05-22 14:50:06

twoion
ほやほや

The new Firefox UI "proton" looks like garbage on all platforms. They break Look-n-Feel on ALL desktop platforms, they put the tab bar front and center while the browser is clearly about the page content not the tab bar, they do a complete overhaul of UI while being on way halving their browser market share yet again (2% -> 1%) which is an idiotic use of scarce engineering time. Is this the last howl of a dying browser, throwing colorful tantrums and meaningless design into the ring as a last bet to regain its past glory, surely destined to fail to do so?

Meanwhile (a) Safari has looked the same for a decade, (b) Chrome has essentially looked the same for a decade, (c) Edge/Brave/Vivaldi keep a conservative design as well while working on more features and do not alienate users that have been on FF since 2004. Firefox has had ~ 3 major UI overhauls during the past decade...I don't get what Mozilla is doing here. Giving their otherwise useless designers something to do, it looks like.

It is slated to become the default with Firefox 89, can currently be disabled in about:config but that is projected to go away with FF89 or in the near future. Not sure I'll put up with this, but I'm not in the mood for Edge or Chrome either.

Nassdachs

#3811 2021-05-22 23:02:40

hhh
Meep!
Website

twoion wrote:

The new Firefox UI "proton" looks like garbage on all platforms. They break Look-n-Feel on ALL desktop platforms, they put the tab bar front and center while the browser is clearly about the page content not the tab bar, they do a complete overhaul of UI while being on way halving their browser market share yet again (2% -> 1%) which is an idiotic use of scarce engineering time. Is this the last howl of a dying browser, throwing colorful tantrums and meaningless design into the ring as a last bet to regain its past glory, surely destined to fail to do so?

First, that is a first-class quality rant.

Second, I can't tell anything about what it is from they're smug presenters and cheesy video.

#3812 2021-05-22 23:24:30

jeffreyC

For a while now I have wondered if the Firefox devs have a Monday morning meeting where the question is:
'How can we make it suck worse?'

Some years ago I read that many of the Firefox devs left to work for Google.
Watching what the ones that stayed do I ask myself if they are also employed by Google with the mission to destroy Firefox?

#3813 2021-05-22 23:36:52

hhh
Meep!
Website

I'll switch to Chrome on a Debian desktop when Hell freezes over.

I'd go with "suck more" for your rant. "Suck worse" is vague, possibly subtractive.

#3814 2021-05-25 02:23:53

johnraff
nullglob
Website

As far as I can tell (not much, from the meagre info I've found so far) this is a GUI remake which ought to be undoable by a user in userchrome.css and the like. Or maybe someone will write another addon to get back to the Quantum look. Right now, I forget how I got it, without trawling through config files, but Firefox-esr (78) for me still looks like this, with the old-style menus at the top and tabs next to content (ignore those two conkys):
KfRdgt3l.png
Hopeful it will still be possible to get to this on Fx 89+

Dedoimedo on Fx Proton: https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/fir … eview.html

Revamping the UI is a lose-lose situation really, and a waste of resources. Privacy is going to be the next battlefield, and here Mozilla has a huge lead over its competitors. Hopefully, this is where the browser's future and focus will be. And trust me, you don't want to contemplate the Internet future without Firefox.

hhh wrote:

this ↑

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#3815 2021-05-25 05:56:56

ohnonot
...again

Re: browser wars, chapter 7354:
Just use Ungoogled Chromium (compiling it yourself on a consumer machine is beyond masochistic, so one has to trust in these binaries).

Mike Kuketz wrote good things about it  (I'm sure hhh's German skills are good enough to read the original. Other non-natives click here).

tamberoo wrote:

Would you mind if I appended your signature to the end of mine? I wanna share that info too =]

Not at all, go for it!

#3816 2021-05-28 10:24:16

twoion
ほやほや

johnraff wrote:

Revamping the UI is a lose-lose situation really, and a waste of resources. Privacy is going to be the next battlefield, and here Mozilla has a huge lead over its competitors. Hopefully, this is where the browser's future and focus will be. And trust me, you don't want to contemplate the Internet future without Firefox.

hhh wrote:

this ↑

The Mozilla UX redesign in contrast to the latest v8 JavaScript engine improvements in Chrome: "Chrome is up to 23% faster in M91 and saves over 17 years of CPU time daily". Sad to say it but that's hardcore engineering vs UX play.

Nassdachs

#3817 2021-05-28 10:53:09

Martin
Website

twoion wrote:

The Mozilla UX redesign in contrast to the latest v8 JavaScript engine improvements in Chrome: "Chrome is up to 23% faster in M91 and saves over 17 years of CPU time daily". Sad to say it but that's hardcore engineering vs UX play.

I am always skeptical when I come across such claims. If you can improve a product this much you did a pretty lousy job to start with and is it really true? This is after all marketing.

/Martin

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back."
Piet Hein

#3818 2021-05-28 12:52:36

ratcheer

I still prefer Firefox, but I tried ungoogled-chromium for a while, and I agree, chromium is much faster. So I assume it is more efficient, probably in multiple ways.

Last edited by ratcheer (2021-05-28 12:53:10)

#3819 2021-05-28 13:04:50

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

I think this:

Modern problems require modern solutions, or something.

was worded wrongly.

Maybe:

Modern solutions creating modern problems, or something.

But that's just me.  Change for the sake of change is a no-no and fit closer to John's "lose-lose" line

Nicely put hhh and johnraff:

johnraff wrote:

hhh wrote:

this ↑

so I'll just double up on those: this and that ↑

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

#3820 2021-05-28 14:35:24

tamberoo

What is the best way to train people to see the gradients in the world around them instead of just a simplistic "this is good, that is wrong" view of the world?

"Give to COVAX! Here or here. (explanation)" <== From this

Death to the Golden Rule fnord!

#3821 2021-05-28 14:44:22

glittersloth
buena piñata

^ A good terminal colour scheme, followed by mass lobotomization.

#3822 2021-05-28 19:38:39

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

glittersloth wrote:

^ A good terminal colour scheme, followed by mass lobotomization.

lol  lol  lol  lol  lol

And I was gonna say a 12 gauge!  cool

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

#3823 2021-05-31 17:16:35

ohnonot
...again

^ wouldn't that be the answer to "What is the best way to train people to a simplistic view of the world, instead of seeing the gradients in it?"

Anyhow: Firefox gets much faster when you dig deep into the settings.
The same goes for Chrom/e/ium: Chromium by itself is probably faster than Chrome. Ungoogled Chromium is significantly faster than Chromium.
Firefox is probably still a tad slower.

#3824 2021-05-31 17:59:14

glittersloth
buena piñata

ohnonot wrote:

^ wouldn't that be the answer to "What is the best way to train people to a simplistic view of the world, instead of seeing the gradients in it?"

What, you never heard of lolcat?! =P

I was trying to be PC, okay. Saying "legalize LSD" probably wouldn't have gone down so well in some quarters. You know, with the world lacking the ability to see gradients and all, my choice of recreational drug might pigeonhole me as a hippie, angering the firearms lobbyists.

Just like my opinion of Wrath of Man. I liked the film, but since it didn't feature female empowerment, I'm being called a right-wing chauvinist now. Da fuq! O_o?

[/tangent]

Last edited by glittersloth (2021-05-31 18:02:19)

#3825 2021-06-01 01:19:57

hhh
Meep!
Website

glittersloth wrote:

"legalize LSD"

Intriguing, but I think the people who want to do LSD are already doing it are have done enough of it.

Death penalty for parking tickets, that will get rid of a ton of self-entitled assholes right there.

Board footer