You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-20 05:28:35

bunsencub

SOLVED:Experimental BL Beryllium: geany needs tweak to run python scri

Hi,

a problem posed in https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=7356&p=2 #36 ff.:
Unable to build and run python scripts with Geany, has been solved in https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=7356&p=2 #45:

rbh wrote:

Rename ~/.config/geany to ..geany and start geany again. if you don't get yor desired setting, rm the new created ..geany directory and copy roots geny. Make sure to change ownership of the files.

The solution works fine functionally, thank you very much rbh; python programs can now not only be edited and compiled but also build with Geany, thanks a lot smile

Still what puzzles me: the tool bar of Geany run with sudo has colored buttons, clearly visible, while Geany without sudo... you barely see the pale buttons.

rbh wrote:

...copy roots geny...

Where is it? root does not seem to have a home, let alone a geany directory, there is just

root@<name>:~#

and /home has no user root.

Last edited by bunsencub (2021-04-26 06:41:56)

#2 2021-04-20 07:52:04

bunsencub

Re: SOLVED:Experimental BL Beryllium: geany needs tweak to run python scri

bunsencub wrote:

... you barely see the pale buttons...

Changed that with Preferences > Appearance; better visible now, but not as distinct and colored as with user sudo. I wonder where root does get configurations from?

#3 2021-04-20 09:58:50

rbh

bunsencub wrote:

Where is it? root does not seem to have a home, let alone a geany directory, there is just

root@<name>:~#

and /home has no user root.

Some basic information:

If you in terminal has changed user to root, you can find path to ~ (home) with

# cd
# pwd

The response should be /root. If not, you are having serious problems.

For mee, there is no difference if I run an GUI aspplication with "sudo" only start an terminal as root and then start the gui aplication.
Root has own configfiles in /root/*.

Btw, sometimes default user configfiles changes. You are then next time you login asked if it is ok to owerwite your changed configfiles.

// Regards rbh

#4 2021-04-20 10:13:20

rbh

When in terminal using sudo to changer user to root, with command "sudo su". you will default get a new prompt: root@[hostname]:/[Path to where you were when changing to root]#

I prefer to use command

$ sudo su -l

Switch -l or --login, makes the shell a login shell with an environment similar to a real login.

// Regards rbh

#5 2021-04-20 12:16:42

rbh

Other ways to find home catalog:

$ echo $HOME
$ cat /etc/passwd | more
$ grep [username] /etc/passwd

See 8.4.1 in Debian Handbook (on the menu => Help & Resources => Debian" for more info about file /etc/passwd

Edit: deleted sudo above, when looking into /etc/passwd. Rootrights is not needed for looking at home directory.

Last edited by rbh (2021-04-20 13:38:38)

// Regards rbh

#6 2021-04-20 19:42:35

bunsencub

rbh wrote:

Other ways to find home catalog...

Thank you, I found /root/.config/geany/, copied it to my home, did chown to set my user rights. But it had no other effect on Geany than when I deleted /geany/ in .config and logged out/logged in again. Ok, seems I have to make do with two options to use Geany:
a) as normal user, straining my eyes to to detect the compile etc buttons, that's ok, or
b) run it with sudo and have clearly visible buttons

By the way, thunar looks different, too, whether run as "$ thunar" or as "$ sudo thunar".

Thanks, bunsencub

#7 2021-04-20 20:22:51

rbh

If you are not satisfied with an applications GUI-settings, you can change the settings.
Sometimes you also have to change theme with obconf and lxappearance.

I have for some years until recently, been choosing a dark theme, Last BL-Lithium.
Some weeks ago, I started working with Scribus 1.5.6.1. I had to change theme to a light one and test several of Scribus own theme settings, before I could get acceptable working envoronment for my old eyes (i am 68 next month, should wear glases but break them to often...)

You can run lxappearance and obconf with sudo, to see what theme is valid for root and change to that for your user.
Else, I find Clearlooks 3.4, to be best for my eyes.

Edit:
You might also need to change screen-resolution...

When working with windows, I have noticed it is better for the eyes if changing from 60 Hz to 75 Hz.

Last edited by rbh (2021-04-20 20:33:04)

// Regards rbh

#8 2021-04-26 06:40:15

bunsencub

SOLVED Thanks, it took a long time for me BL newbie to find the essential color scheme: Menu > Preferences > Appearance > Icon theme: Gnome. Now the menu buttons are distincly visible smile

Board footer