You are not logged in.

#1 2021-03-22 00:59:15

eight.bit.al

How does jgmenu select it's icons?

Some installed icons show in jgmenu and some do not?
Read through damo's tutorials but didn't find anything.
Read through https://jgmenu.github.io/index.html
Any help?

TIA
8bit

Last edited by eight.bit.al (2021-03-22 01:04:51)

If art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time.

#2 2021-03-22 17:33:24

twoion
一期一会

Re: How does jgmenu select it's icons?

The app icons are in .desktop files that describe the applications https://specifications.freedesktop.org/ … atest.html. The key is Icon=. How the value x of Icon=x is interpreted depends:

Values of type iconstring are the names of icons; these may be absolute paths, or symbolic names for icons located using the algorithm described in the Icon Theme Specification. Such values are not user-displayable, and are encoded in UTF-8.

The text of that spec is https://freedesktop.org/wiki/Specificat … heme-spec/. Generally, you can specify a path to any image file and it will get used if it is readable for the current user. If you use a symbolic name, for example, "Icon=folder", the exact image file "folder" gets resolved to is dictated by the currently set icon theme (if it has the symbolic icon name), the preferred icon size (32x32, 48x48 or arbitrarily scalable (svg)), and if the currently preferred icon theme does not even contain the icon, an icon theme can specify a fallback icon theme, or if not, gnome-hicolor or so will be tried.

You can override application icons from globally installed applications by copying the .desktop file for the app from /usr/share/applications to ~/.local/share/applications, and modify the Icon= line in the copied .desktop file to point to whatever you prefer. The search order for .desktop files will prefer the one in ~/.local, even if one exists in /usr.

#3 2021-03-23 00:19:22

eight.bit.al

^ Thanks for the helpful reply. It rounds out what I knew about icons. ~/.local/share/applications is what MenuLibre does so well.

What I'm looking for is how jgmenu handles icons. jgmenu is so versatile, no two implementations are alike, IME.

In searching, I've come across a post on the ArchLabs forum about the icons being declared in ~/.config/jgmenu/jgmenurc. But that's not the case in the setup I'm studying.

I found some info from the author, himself. In .cache/jgmenu/icons is a file: index.theme. Which contains the name of the current icon theme.

Inherits=Black-Frost-Suru
Size=22

But all the links to icons in that dir point to the old icon set.

Maybe because the icon set I'm using is in ~/.icons. I'm going to try copying them to /usr/share/icons. Maybe jgmenu defaults to looking there, and doesn't get the location of the icon set from the system. (I'm willing to try anything)

If I change back to the original icon set, they show in jgmenu.

The hunt continues...

8bit

#4 2021-03-23 00:45:54

eight.bit.al

I copied the icon set to /usr/share/icons and a few icons show up on the root level of jgmenu. But none in the sub-menus.

I'm looking for a way to get jgmenu to perge it's icon cache and use new ones...

8bit

#5 2021-03-23 01:11:46

eight.bit.al

/usr/share/applications has the correct icons associated with the .desktop files. Probably no reason to copy them to ~/.local/share/applications.

icons.th.png  menu.th.png

8bit

Last edited by eight.bit.al (2021-03-23 01:13:55)

#6 2021-03-24 21:28:50

malm
jgmenu developer
Website

The ArchLabs post describes it well.

We check xdg base spec directories but not $HOME/.icons

The cache will be recreated on changing icon size or theme.

You can remove the cache manually by just removing $HOME/.cache/jgmenu

Board footer