You are not logged in.

#1 2021-02-25 17:04:51

brjoon1021

New and updated installation. Having issue with display

I looked for tutorials and did not see directly relevant help

I have a laptop on a dell docking station with two displays attached by HDMI. That is not the problem though... The issue seems to be that my laptop display does not turn off but remains active when its lid is closed with the BL installation. The laptop display does turn off in Windows.
- I do not know how to fix this or if I NEED to. I can fiddle with ARandR to change dispaly layout etc... a workaround that I have used with other distros is to change the Primary monitor to one of my additional displays and slide the laptop monitor to overlap the primary in the ARandR layout. This is a little clunky but a workaround for a novice.

However, the changes that I save to ArandR in this BL install do not persist at reboot.
each time I start the computer I have the 3 displays back to the default and nearly unusable setup: the laptop display is the primary even thought the lid is closed and the other two displays are just baggage unless I drag apps into them.

To reiterate, I have had this problem with Peppermint Linux and another one that I do not recall as well. But, new frish to fry as well in this scenario as my workaround and previous experience was on a different laptop - I don't think I have had to deal with this live laptop display even with the lid closed - and I have not had the issue of ARandR settings begin overwritten to default with each reboot.

Please help. This sucks and I think I could really like this Distro.
seems like I either need to figure out how to get my cheesey workaround which is sliding the laptop display over one of the big monitors in ARandR and leaving the laptop display as primary (lame but works)  OR, figure out how to have the laptop display turn off when lid is closed (only happens in BL, not windows)  OR an even better fix ?

Thanks

I have to go to work so I probably can't look at the forum for a bit

Last edited by brjoon1021 (2021-02-25 17:18:44)

#2 2021-02-25 18:18:34

damo
....moderator....

Re: New and updated installation. Having issue with display

The changes you save with arandr will be in the script you specify, probably ~/.screenlayout/<scriptname>. Run this at login by adding it to your autostart ( Preferences > Bunsenlabs > Edit autostart). Add this line in the SETTINGS section:

./.screenlayout/yourscriptname.sh

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3 2021-02-25 22:57:16

brjoon1021

thank you

there was no dialogue or suggestion after editing ARandr about which file to save the changes in or whether to put them in auto start etc...
I will do that when I get home. I have never had to edit an auto start before in a Linux distribution but I suppose this goes along with the fundamentals of Bunsen Labs crunchbang which is user control / being able to tweak etc?

#4 2021-02-26 00:37:57

damo
....moderator....

In the arandr dialog do Layout > Save As. It should create the ~/.screenlayout directory, and you can call the file what you like. I use something like "laptop-1920x1080.sh" so it is descriptive.

It just holds the relevant xrandr commands for the display. In autostart just make sure that it is placed before anything else that needs a desktop display eg nitrogen, compositor, conky etc.

#5 2021-03-05 15:40:31

brjoon1021

Thanks.
Actually though the best fix is for BL to turn off the screen of my laptop when closed and on the Dell Dock.

Is there a fix for that? When the laptop is by itself, not docked, and the lid is closed. the display is off.  When it is closed either docked or not docked with windows the display is off.

#6 2021-03-05 16:10:27

rbh

Do you have icon for power settings in tint2? Right click and choose Settings...

Else run user command "xfce4-power-manager-settings".

If you are lucky, the laptop will obey the settings what to do when lid is closed.

// Regards rbh

Please read before requesting help: Guide to getting help,
Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

#7 2021-03-06 07:46:08

brjoon1021

"If you are lucky, the laptop will obey the settings what to do when lid is closed."

I am not lucky. I have the power management set to having the display off when the laptop lid is closed, but the display is still on. This sucks.

Unless you gentlemen have any fixes I have to install some other distro and I really don't want to do that. I really am flumoxed... this is an OLD laptop. I have used at least 3 distros long term and tried 10 and have never had this issue before.

#8 2021-03-06 08:13:17

rbh

My desktop, can not hibernate or suspend.
6 months ago, one of my laptops, did not suspend when lid closed, works ok now.

So, maybe your hardware does not have support in Linux for suspending?
What hapens if yoy from menu, => Exit, choose suspend?

I recommend you run hw-probe and study the report.

Last edited by rbh (2021-03-06 08:13:43)

// Regards rbh

Please read before requesting help: Guide to getting help,
Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

#9 2021-03-06 12:40:03

sleekmason
zoom
Website

On the front screen (general) of xfce4-power-manager, there are options for what to do on button push.  Does enabling one of these work as expected? Maybe a simple workaround.

I know I have missed settings in there before as well even after I was sure I was good.  (damn slider bars.) lol.

#10 2021-03-06 22:26:05

brjoon1021

Thanks for trying to help guys !

When I select suspend from the reboot menu all three monitors go dark.

I installed another distro over this one. I just don't have a good reason to work at getting a distro I have never used before to work. Mint is running like a scalded cat and I am good.    I do not know whether to mark this solved or not ?  Maybe Admin, you can delete my post ?

Thanks again guys !

#11 2021-03-07 03:22:46

damo
....moderator....

If it solved then mark it solved. If not, the thread may still help others in the future.

We rarely delete threads, and then usually if they are serious breach of forum rules wink

Board footer