You are not logged in.

#1 2021-03-02 08:44:44

dbvolvox
Member
From: England
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 95
Website

Catfish Gtk error

I am an infrequent user of Catfish so cannot be sure when this error began.  Catfish no longer runs from menu (BL-lithium), when started from terminal I get this error message.

david@debian:~$ catfish

(catfish:4246): Gtk-WARNING **: 08:33:26.887: ../../../../gtk/gtkwidget.c:8584: widget not within a GtkWindow

Have searched but cannot see anything recent on Gtk errors that fits.

Last edited by hhh (2021-03-05 00:20:08)


volvox.biz a very tedious daily account of life during covid,

Offline

#2 2021-03-02 14:29:39

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...
From: In Linux Land
Registered: 2017-05-28
Posts: 1,223

Re: Catfish Gtk error

I get the same error but the Catfish window opens for me either from menu or commandline and the app functions correctly.


Real Men Use Linux

Online

#3 2021-03-02 14:31:56

sleekmason
zoom
Registered: 2018-05-22
Posts: 584

Re: Catfish Gtk error

dbvolvox wrote:

I am an infrequent user of Catfish so cannot be sure when this error began.  Catfish no longer runs from menu (BL-lithium), when started from terminal I get this error message.

david@debian:~$ catfish

(catfish:4246): Gtk-WARNING **: 08:33:26.887: ../../../../gtk/gtkwidget.c:8584: widget not within a GtkWindow

Have searched but cannot see anything recent on Gtk errors that fits.

The GTK error is probably not an issue.  I get the same error from catfish. many of the programs will throw gtk errors.  Mousepad throws 5 here.

You could try:

killall catfish ; catfish

to kill any running instances first and then restart catfish. (guessing this should do it).

There is also the catfish rc in ~/.config/catfish  - This shouldn't be an issue, but might want to look.

Offline

#4 2021-03-02 16:11:56

dolly
Miss Mixunderstand
From: /lab701
Registered: 2015-10-03
Posts: 427

Re: Catfish Gtk error

I remember having the same trouble on "Lithium", "Buster". A bit off topic, but Catfish works well on "Beryllium" so far.


A bit nerdy, trying to grow up.

Offline

#5 2021-03-03 04:23:44

hhh
Meep!
Registered: 2015-09-17
Posts: 11,663
Website

Re: Catfish Gtk error

Known issue, Catfish is troublesome to start on BL. The GTK errors are not the issue AFAICT. Switch to the Adwaita theme and check, that will give you more accurate feedback.

Try opening catfish with a terminal, then maximize the window and close it. It will hopefully open from the menu or Run dialog after that.

Offline

#6 2021-03-03 09:05:23

dbvolvox
Member
From: England
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 95
Website

Re: Catfish Gtk error

Thanks, tried what @sleekmason and @hhh suggest and both work for the duration of the session. Any ideas for a fix that survives rebooting. The debian repository is version 1.4.7-1 which dates to 2019 and there have been versions since then.


volvox.biz a very tedious daily account of life during covid,

Offline

#7 2021-03-04 07:07:28

ohnonot
...again
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 5,452
Website

Re: Catfish Gtk error

dbvolvox wrote:

Any ideas for a fix that survives rebooting.

Can you reproduce the problem after a reboot?
Is one of the two workarounds mentioned here enough to fix it?


Give to COVAX! Here or here. (explanation)

Offline

#8 2021-03-04 08:19:54

dbvolvox
Member
From: England
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 95
Website

Re: Catfish Gtk error

ohnonot wrote:

Can you reproduce the problem after a reboot?
Is one of the two workarounds mentioned here enough to fix it?

Both workarounds only last until the next boot. even D-menu doesn't work. It's not a biggie just irksome! I can start via terminal.

Last edited by dbvolvox (2021-03-04 08:22:27)


volvox.biz a very tedious daily account of life during covid,

Offline

#9 2021-03-04 13:43:32

sleekmason
zoom
Registered: 2018-05-22
Posts: 584

Re: Catfish Gtk error

Can you start from a terminal without the "killall"? If so, may be a menu problem as well.  And dmenu, do you open from a keybind? or the menu?

Offline

#10 2021-03-04 16:45:05

ohnonot
...again
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 5,452
Website

Re: Catfish Gtk error

dbvolvox wrote:

Both workarounds only last until the next boot.

That's not exactly what I asked. I meant: Is one of the workarounds _alone_ enough to fix it? Once we know that we can either troubleshoot further and ultimately solve this or offer you a permanent workaround.

dbvolvox wrote:

even D-menu doesn't work.

Sounds like a separate problem that would require a separate explanation.


Give to COVAX! Here or here. (explanation)

Offline

#11 2021-03-04 23:42:03

dbvolvox
Member
From: England
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 95
Website

Re: Catfish Gtk error

Discovered today that if I have accessed my NAS box then Catfish opens from the menus. Since i hardly keep anything locally I would often have done that before thinking about a file search so hadn't noticed the behaviour before.

So I guess it is trying to access a drive that is still asleep and hangs? So not a Catfish bug. Maybe my fstab or automount settings are lacking?


volvox.biz a very tedious daily account of life during covid,

Offline

#12 2021-03-05 00:19:27

hhh
Meep!
Registered: 2015-09-17
Posts: 11,663
Website

Re: Catfish Gtk error

-mod edit- I'm un-marking this solved, Catfish is definitely buggy outside of the gnome-shell (I've had no issues with it on Debian Cinnamon).

Offline

#13 2021-03-05 03:48:43

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...
From: In Linux Land
Registered: 2017-05-28
Posts: 1,223

Re: Catfish Gtk error

hhh wrote:

-mod edit- I'm un-marking this solved, Catfish is definitely buggy outside of the gnome-shell (I've had no issues with it on Debian Cinnamon).

Is there a bug report for it now?


Real Men Use Linux

Online

#14 2021-03-05 10:07:48

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 2,285
Website

Re: Catfish Gtk error

It looks fixed in Bullseye, at least no errors are visible
vRm95Y2.png

Offline

#15 2021-03-05 18:40:15

ohnonot
...again
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 5,452
Website

Re: Catfish Gtk error

dbvolvox wrote:

Discovered today that if I have accessed my NAS box then Catfish opens from the menus. Since i hardly keep anything locally I would often have done that before thinking about a file search so hadn't noticed the behaviour before.

So I guess it is trying to access a drive that is still asleep and hangs? So not a Catfish bug. Maybe my fstab or automount settings are lacking?

This is definitely something I have seen with network drives, regardless of the software.
I use NFS. NAS kinda sounds like Samba?


Give to COVAX! Here or here. (explanation)

Offline

#16 2021-03-06 01:37:02

hhh
Meep!
Registered: 2015-09-17
Posts: 11,663
Website

Re: Catfish Gtk error

DeepDayze wrote:
hhh wrote:

-mod edit- I'm un-marking this solved, Catfish is definitely buggy outside of the gnome-shell (I've had no issues with it on Debian Cinnamon).

Is there a bug report for it now?

I don't think so, but we've trouble shot it as much as we could so far. Catfish will open via a terminal command, so it's not a critical bug. If you have any insight, please open a bug report.

Offline

#17 2021-03-06 01:58:54

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 7,920
Website

Re: Catfish Gtk error

Catfish opens fine for me from the menu on BL Lithium. It was a bit unreliable in the past, agreed. The only thing I can think of that might possibly relate is that I recently installed dbus-user-session.

@dbvolvox if you could try installing that and seeing if it makes a difference? You might have to reboot to see any change. Of course, feel free to remove it afterwards if it doesn't help.


...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

Offline

#18 2021-03-06 02:20:25

hhh
Meep!
Registered: 2015-09-17
Posts: 11,663
Website

Re: Catfish Gtk error

Testing again, Catfish opens fine from the Debian bullseye cinnamon menu. It does not open for me with whatever buster jgmenu I'm using (it might be out of date on my system). Opens fine from a terminal or gmrun.

Offline

#19 2021-03-06 03:07:55

tknomanzr
BL Die Hard
From: Around the Bend
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 1,057

Re: Catfish Gtk error

hhh wrote:

Testing again, Catfish opens fine from the Debian bullseye cinnamon menu. It does not open for me with whatever buster jgmenu I'm using (it might be out of date on my system). Opens fine from a terminal or gmrun.

It also opens fine for me from the old openbox menu.xml. Could it be a jgmenu issue?

Offline

#20 2021-03-06 04:20:34

hhh
Meep!
Registered: 2015-09-17
Posts: 11,663
Website

Re: Catfish Gtk error

tknomanzr wrote:
hhh wrote:

Testing again, Catfish opens fine from the Debian bullseye cinnamon menu. It does not open for me with whatever buster jgmenu I'm using (it might be out of date on my system). Opens fine from a terminal or gmrun.

It also opens fine for me from the old openbox menu.xml. Could it be a jgmenu issue?

I doubt it. It's a real bug, I think. An old one.

https://www.linuxquestions.org/question … 175503568/

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo … bug=746251

I'll need a minute to test install mlocate...

https://classicforum.manjaro.org/index. … ic=25927.0

-edit- Already installed, no joy.

Offline

#21 2021-03-06 04:50:05

sleekmason
zoom
Registered: 2018-05-22
Posts: 584

Re: Catfish Gtk error

johnraff wrote:

Catfish opens fine for me from the menu on BL Lithium. It was a bit unreliable in the past, agreed. The only thing I can think of that might possibly relate is that I recently installed dbus-user-session.

@dbvolvox if you could try installing that and seeing if it makes a difference? You might have to reboot to see any change. Of course, feel free to remove it afterwards if it doesn't help.

More info on this. Really not sure what to make of the two. Received a message trying to open right-click "edit as root" in pcmanfm saying I was missing dbus-launch. Please note that this is in sid but still seems relevant. Better safe than sorry. 

dbus-x11 - contains dbus-launch, and installing it took care of business. I then looked at the rdepends for dbus-x11, and it shows as being a dependency of audacious, but also 'breaks' dbus-user-session .  . . okay.

Checked the depends on dbus-user-session, and it shows the same.

However, dbus-user-session takes care of the dbus error shown in .xsession-errors, and  as discussed Here , has become the default daemon. 

So, don't really know what to make of it, but thought I better bring it up anyway.
Apparently pcmanfm wants an individual daemon for these instances?

If I remember, I think it was @DeepDayze who had both already installed on his machine with zero problems.  - and so far so good here as well.

Guessing this is going to be the same apt info in Buster as well. I'll check.

Edit* yep same info, but not any problem necessarily. 

The 'breaks' seem weirdly placed to me. You have to look at the rdepends and depends of each to see why. I guess I expected to see them in both categories for each package. I'm sure this was the normal way, but some of this is new to me.  roll

Anyhow, certainly looks like using both continues to be an option.

Last edited by sleekmason (2021-03-06 05:03:56)

Offline

#22 2021-03-06 09:36:35

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 7,920
Website

Re: Catfish Gtk error

sleekmason wrote:

dbus-x11 - contains dbus-launch, and installing it took care of business. I then looked at the rdepends for dbus-x11, and it shows as being a dependency of audacious, but also 'breaks' dbus-user-session .  . . okay.

Checked the depends on dbus-user-session, and it shows the same.

On Buster, dbus-user-session breaks dbus-x11 (but I couldn't see any reverse breaking by dbus-x11 of dbus-user-session - maybe that comes further down the dependency chain).

According to Debian policy:

When one binary package declares that it breaks another, dpkg will refuse to allow the package which declares Breaks to be unpacked unless the broken package is deconfigured first, and it will refuse to allow the broken package to be reconfigured.

So if dbus-user-session is installed, dbus-x11 ought to be deconfigured, but on my machine, 'dpkg --status' reports for both packages 'Status: install ok installed'. Not sure what's happening here.

Anyway, can anyone confirm whether installing dbus-user-session fixes the catfish startup issue or not?


...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

Offline

#23 2021-03-06 16:37:03

tknomanzr
BL Die Hard
From: Around the Bend
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 1,057

Re: Catfish Gtk error

johnraff wrote:
sleekmason wrote:

dbus-x11 - contains dbus-launch, and installing it took care of business. I then looked at the rdepends for dbus-x11, and it shows as being a dependency of audacious, but also 'breaks' dbus-user-session .  . . okay.

Checked the depends on dbus-user-session, and it shows the same.

On Buster, dbus-user-session breaks dbus-x11 (but I couldn't see any reverse breaking by dbus-x11 of dbus-user-session - maybe that comes further down the dependency chain).

According to Debian policy:

When one binary package declares that it breaks another, dpkg will refuse to allow the package which declares Breaks to be unpacked unless the broken package is deconfigured first, and it will refuse to allow the broken package to be reconfigured.

So if dbus-user-session is installed, dbus-x11 ought to be deconfigured, but on my machine, 'dpkg --status' reports for both packages 'Status: install ok installed'. Not sure what's happening here.

Anyway, can anyone confirm whether installing dbus-user-session fixes the catfish startup issue or not?

I can confirm that both packages are installed on my system and that Catfish starts successfully. It still throws the gtk error into .xsession-errors, so that is not the issue.

Offline

#24 2021-03-06 17:03:01

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...
From: In Linux Land
Registered: 2017-05-28
Posts: 1,223

Re: Catfish Gtk error

johnraff wrote:
sleekmason wrote:

dbus-x11 - contains dbus-launch, and installing it took care of business. I then looked at the rdepends for dbus-x11, and it shows as being a dependency of audacious, but also 'breaks' dbus-user-session .  . . okay.

Checked the depends on dbus-user-session, and it shows the same.

On Buster, dbus-user-session breaks dbus-x11 (but I couldn't see any reverse breaking by dbus-x11 of dbus-user-session - maybe that comes further down the dependency chain).

According to Debian policy:

When one binary package declares that it breaks another, dpkg will refuse to allow the package which declares Breaks to be unpacked unless the broken package is deconfigured first, and it will refuse to allow the broken package to be reconfigured.

So if dbus-user-session is installed, dbus-x11 ought to be deconfigured, but on my machine, 'dpkg --status' reports for both packages 'Status: install ok installed'. Not sure what's happening here.

Anyway, can anyone confirm whether installing dbus-user-session fixes the catfish startup issue or not?

I have both d-u-s and d-x11 installed and catfish launches fine from menu and commandline.

looks like d-u-s only breaks on d-x11 if the version of d-x11's version  is below 1.9.10-2. (this is on Sid btw).

~$ apt depends dbus-user-session
dbus-user-session
  Depends: dbus (>= 1.12.20-2)
  Depends: libpam-systemd
  Depends: systemd
  Breaks: dbus-x11 (<< 1.9.10-2~)
  Breaks: policykit-1 (<< 0.105-12~)
  Breaks: udisks2 (<< 2.1.5-2~)
  Recommends: systemd-sysv

Last edited by DeepDayze (2021-03-06 17:05:36)


Real Men Use Linux

Online

#25 2021-03-07 03:23:42

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 7,920
Website

Re: Catfish Gtk error

DeepDayze wrote:

looks like d-u-s only breaks on d-x11 if the version of d-x11's version  is below 1.9.10-2. (this is on Sid btw).

~$ apt depends dbus-user-session
dbus-user-session
  Depends: dbus (>= 1.12.20-2)
  Depends: libpam-systemd
  Depends: systemd
  Breaks: dbus-x11 (<< 1.9.10-2~)
  Breaks: policykit-1 (<< 0.105-12~)
  Breaks: udisks2 (<< 2.1.5-2~)
  Recommends: systemd-sysv

Thanks!! How did I miss that yesterday? That same << 1.9.10-2~ is right there on the terminal output I was looking at. roll

On Buster:

~$ apt depends dbus-user-session
dbus-user-session
  Depends: dbus (>= 1.12.20-0+deb10u1)
  Depends: libpam-systemd
  Depends: systemd
  Breaks: dbus-x11 (<< 1.9.10-2~)
  Breaks: policykit-1 (<< 0.105-12~)
  Breaks: udisks2 (<< 2.1.5-2~)
  Recommends: systemd-sysv

(btw 'depends' does not appear in 'man apt' - I guess in this case it's acting as an alias for 'apt-cache depends'.)

Anyway it looks as if we might have to consider whether there is a need for dbus-x11 as well as dbus-user-session in Beryllium. Or maybe those apps that want dbus-launch are finally gone in Bullseye...


...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB