You are not logged in.

#26 2020-12-24 18:41:25

sleekmason
Website

Re: New ISO build to try!

Howdy All,

I finally figured out my theming issues:) Geez.  You don't know what you don't know I guess.

I downloaded Thunar thinking It would be a drop in replacement for pcmanfm. Lol.  Huge learning experience. 
I first found Beam <- excellent work hhh! 

Then I went on to Greybird and Blackbird, using the Blackbird gtk2 base coupled with the css from Greybird.

May still be an odd or end as there are almost 5000 lines of code to dive through, but overall good to go now:) No more sulky browns where I can avoid it. Playing with the gtk inspector has been interesting as well.

This particular build is Fluxbox.  Just Fluxbox big_smile  The other builds are now themed the same as well.  Everything has been softened quite a bit.

So, this just the fluxbox window manager with a terminal, file manager, and a few basics to keep things groovy.  The really neat thing about this is that I have isolated down as far as I can all the extra packages, and this build is fairly small.

Basically, the smallest image (as of now) that I could produce that would allow for all the extra tweaks I have in my other builds, meant to be used as a base for a custom install.

837 total packages installed including all of the firmware.  Total size 795MB
Running Live, 280MB Ram, with all the bells and whistles on. With a custom kernel installed afterwards, 235MB.

You can easily replace Fluxbox for Openbox, or Any other window manager, or just install others you might like afterwards. You may want to grab my Openbox theme to match from github if you do this).

Edit ~/.fluxbox/menu1 for new entries.  I left a bunch commented out to give hints.

Remove the firmware, and your image should be quite reasonable indeed.

https://github.com/sleekmason/Liliflux

Download or clone Liliflux, Unzip the folder, open a terminal in the folder and:

sudo apt install live-build

then:

sudo lb build

This will build the iso in the top folder.  See my github directions for further information about the build process.

Merry Christmas Everyone! Or however you may be celebrating this holiday season:)
Liliflux.png

Last edited by sleekmason (2020-12-25 21:55:33)

#27 2020-12-24 19:21:45

damo
....moderator....

^ It does look very fluxboxy. Nice work smile

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#28 2020-12-24 22:32:17

sleekmason
Website

damo wrote:

^ It does look very fluxboxy. Nice work smile

Thank you! smile

#29 2020-12-25 00:41:30

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

Nice work Sleek...think I am gonna grab this  for another build  cool

devil

Dark theme reminds me of the old Star distro (now Crowz) by Ozitraveller.

Last edited by DeepDayze (2020-12-25 00:42:44)

Real Men Use Linux

#30 2020-12-25 15:02:27

sleekmason
Website

DeepDayze wrote:

Nice work Sleek...think I am gonna grab this  for another build  cool

devil

Dark theme reminds me of the old Star distro (now Crowz) by Ozitraveller.

Oh good!  Hope it goes well.
I will have to check "Crows" out:)

When designing my own stuff, I purposefully try not to "see" anybody else's work, even though we are all using basically the same stuff.

The green/grey/blue colors seem to be the standard for visibility, with nothing else serving for very long.  The browns get old pretty quick even though the themes themselves are put together well.

Thunar's layout is better than pcmanfm's even though they are so similar in initial appearance. This being said, it opens a hair slower than pcmanfm, and they should really combine the features so as to not use 5-6 different packages to get the same result.

Same with logouts.  They are all horizontal now. In the first two builds, I'm using a verical exit dialog that packrat drew up in yad some years ago, And probably forgot about:) I then changed it for lilidog.  For the fluxbox version, Im using a modified lepo-logout menu for my build.  The lepo-logout looks like BL's as well, but with the decorations in place.

Something of interest during this process, is that while searching for answers I read two well written posts at different times with the answers I needed . . . that turned out to be written by me. Years ago. big_smile  That was a weird experience to look for the author and see my own name. Lol! one I caught right away, but the other not until I had literally copy and pasted the magnificent answers and marveled that it worked . .  sort of.  Still led me to the right answer:) Old Fluxbox stuff:)

Anyhow, I continue to make improvements as I go.  Theme will still needs work as small issues pop up, And There's loads of other stuff I want to work on more, once everything is basically stable.  I suppose it is now.

Last edited by sleekmason (2020-12-25 16:18:25)

#31 2020-12-26 12:14:11

sleekmason
Website

Just realized I had the firmware removed for my own build (Sorry roll), so if you tried and had firmware issues, they may be resolved now.  Also, the flash in the terminal is fixed, and the theme is more complete.

If you are using this build (or the others), you may want to switch out the Lilidog theme in /usr/share/themes for an updated version with small color fixes.  The updated version can be found here: https://github.com/sleekmason/Configuration Located in GTKthemes.

#32 2021-01-20 13:07:30

sleekmason
Website

Okie dokie,

The sub 800Mb build has changed a bit.  Now, Openbox is the default, with options for both Fluxbox and Pekwm as login options. https://github.com/sleekmason/Liliflux

All three Wm's should be fully setup and usable as a solid base for anything else you want. If you remove unnecessary firmware, the build should be under 700MB.

Basically a fully themed(best I can!) base with pcmanfm, urxvt, geany, mousepad, and all the smaller extras you really don't see or care about:)

This means installing your own to build a decent system.

##Pekwm
Pekwm-Live-1-19-21.png

You can check out all three by logging out and back in during the live session.
User = "user", and password = "live".

Here is the full package list if anybody is interested.  You can certainly use this list to get a base build for most WM's with just a couple changes.

adwaita-icon-theme
alsa-oss
alsa-utils
amd64-microcode
anacron
at-spi2-core
b43-fwcutter
bash-completion
blackbird-gtk-theme
clipit
compton
conky
crda
curl
dbus-user-session
desktop-base
dosfstools
dunst
efibootmgr
e2fsprogs
eject
exfat-fuse
exfat-utils
f2fs-tools
fbpanel
feh
file
firmware-amd-graphics
firmware-linux-nonfree
firmware-linux
firmware-linux-free
firmware-libertas
firmware-iwlwifi
firmware-ivtv
firmware-ipw2x00
firmware-intelwimax
firmware-intel-sound
firmware-cavium
firmware-brcm80211
firmware-bnx2x 
firmware-bnx2
firmware-atheros
firmware-ath9k-htc
firmware-misc-nonfree
firmware-myricom
firmware-netronome
firmware-netxen
firmware-qcom-media
firmware-qlogic
firmware-realtek
firmware-samsung
firmware-siano
firmware-ti-connectivity
firmware-zd1211
firmware-b43-installer
fluxbox
fonts-dejavu-core
fonts-liberation
fortunes
fortune-mod
fuse
galternatives
geany
gnome-brave-icon-theme
gnome-screenshot
gparted
gtk2-engines-murrine
gtk2-engines-pixbuf
gvfs-backends
gvfs-fuse
htop
intel-microcode
inxi
isc-dhcp-client
iw
jq
libexo-1-0
libfm-modules
libnotify-bin
lightdm
lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings
linux-image-amd64
linux-headers-amd64
locales
lsb-release
lxappearance
lxpolkit
lxrandr
manpages
manpages-dev
menu-xdg
mesa-utils
mesa-va-drivers:amd64
mesa-vdpau-drivers:amd64
mousepad
nano
ncdu
network-manager-gnome
newsboat
ntfs-3g
obconf
obmenu
openbox
os-prober
oss-compat
pcmanfm
pekwm
plank
pulseaudio
pulseaudio-utils
python3-xdg
python-gtk2
python-six
python-xlib
python-xdg
qt5-gtk-platformtheme:amd64
rofi
rsync
rxvt-unicode
ssft
squashfs-tools
stalonetray
suckless-tools
sudo
tasksel
tint2
unzip
usermode
user-setup
va-driver-all:amd64
vdpau-driver-all:amd64
w3m
w3m-img
wmctrl
x11-apps
x11-common
x11-session-utils
x11-utils
x11-xkb-utils
x11-xserver-utils
xarchiver
xbindkeys
xbindkeys-config
xbitmaps
xdg-user-dirs
xdg-utils
xdotool
xfce4-power-manager
xorg
xscreensaver
xserver-common
xserver-xorg
xserver-xorg-input-all
xserver-xorg-video-all
xserver-xorg-video-intel
xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
xserver-xorg-input-evdev
xserver-xorg-input-wacom
xserver-xorg-video-qxl
xsltproc
yad
xsel

Probably done bothering you guys here about new builds:) I reckon you get the picture.
I will continue to make improvements and add on new features. Just check back occasionally for new stuff.

Thank you again everybody for all of your support! It's been a blast:)

#33 2021-01-21 04:23:25

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

Looks good and if anyone has any suggestions for you, they can be posted here for you to review and determine if feasible to include in your build. Gonna try this one in a VM!

Of course if bugs or issues found they'll be mentioned too :-)

This is sure becoming a really cool distro-let.

Last edited by DeepDayze (2021-01-21 04:25:12)

Real Men Use Linux

#34 2021-01-21 18:00:23

sleekmason
Website

DeepDayze wrote:

Looks good and if anyone has any suggestions for you, they can be posted here for you to review and determine if feasible to include in your build. Gonna try this one in a VM!

Of course if bugs or issues found they'll be mentioned too :-)

This is sure becoming a really cool distro-let.

Absolutely! I would very much like to hear of any bugs/issues. smile

The puzzling of all of this together gets more and more interesting.

I went ahead and changed both the stable and unstable build to have Pekwm as a choice as well.

Here is the full stable build with Pekwm installed, and accessed through toggles in the fluxbox menu.
From the live session entrance in Openbox, simply toggle to Fluxbox from the menu, then to Pekwm from there:) Kinda gotta find the white rabbit through the Fluxbox hole.

This is during the session, meaning you can have terminal windows open and working in the background;)
Full-Stable-Lilidog-Build

You can also access all three window managers from the login for individual sessions.

#35 Yesterday 14:34:27

sleekmason
Website

This is just too cool not to share. 

I have added Jwm to my full stable and unstable build, with toggles between ALL four window managers while in session, with windows active. Freely.

I (probably) won't be adding any more wm's to these builds, as the toggles get nuts. The logic of the four window managers with competing decorations was fun:) (will still add two more in the future to the minimal build.)

Time now to customize all of this further/better.   https://github.com/sleekmason/Lilidog-Buster

I don't distro hop much.  Are these standard features in any of the distro's?  I've had a couple in the past switch to another, but not with decorations in place worth a damn, and certainly not between four.

#36 Yesterday 17:53:27

ohnonot
...again
Website

sleekmason wrote:

Are these standard features in any of the distro's?

Switching WM's while in session? No.
I think LinuxBBQ had some .isos that featured something like that. Very niche.
AntiX offers various WMs/DEs, but only per session afaik.

Please use CODE tags for code.
Search youtube without a browser: repo | thread
BL quote proposals to this thread please.
my repos / my repos

#37 Yesterday 18:28:19

eight.bit.al

There was a French distro a few years ago that offered 20 something different WM/DE switchable on the fly.
Worked pretty well too. Gimongous DL.

8bit

If art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time.

Board footer