You are not logged in.

#1 2020-11-27 03:43:28

cloverskull

BunsenLabs on new(er) hardware?

Hey friends,

I recently snagged a Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon G8, which is a late generation laptop that is evidently incompatible with Debian Stable at this point in time. My wifi card, ethernet card, GPU, and potentially a slew of other hardware devices aren’t supported in the current Debian Stable kernel, which renders the live ISO basically useless, and the netinstall method of getting BL also useless since it assumes you’re pointing at deb stable repos.

So my question is this...is there an alternative way to install BL either on backports or some other track? Can I track unstable or testing, and install from scratch?

I should mention Arch installation worked well enough...the rolling release model does lend itself well to modern/up-to-date hardware, which probably isn’t a surprise. But I love BL and would love to run it if it’s possible at all smile

Thanks for reading, hope all you fellow Americans out there are having a happy and safe Thanskgiving!

#2 2020-11-27 10:41:29

rbh

#3 2020-11-27 20:54:29

ohnonot
...again
Website

Re: BunsenLabs on new(er) hardware?

cloverskull wrote:

I should mention Arch installation worked well enough...the rolling release model does lend itself well to modern/up-to-date hardware, which probably isn’t a surprise. But I love BL and would love to run it if it’s possible at all smile

ArchLabs?

Please use CODE tags for code.
Search youtube without a browser: repo | thread
BL quote proposals to this thread please.
my repos / my repos

#4 2020-11-27 22:57:26

cloverskull

Looks like I'd have to do a netinstall of sid and manually try making it look like BunsenLabs. But after that I'd probably be on my own.

I also like ArchLabs, and was using that briefly, but...this computer is such a workhorse there's little incentive to doing the most lightweight option. In the end I opted to go plain-jane Arch and install Plasma. And now things are good!

#5 2020-11-28 07:43:05

ohnonot
...again
Website

cloverskull wrote:

In the end I opted to go plain-jane Arch and install Plasma. And now things are good!

Praise be!

Please use CODE tags for code.
Search youtube without a browser: repo | thread
BL quote proposals to this thread please.
my repos / my repos

#6 2020-11-29 04:05:35

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

Perhaps when Beryllium is released it will be a better fit for your hardware.  As hardware evolves fast stable Debian releases might not get to keep up, so don't give up. Others who have similar hardware may chime in with their experiences in getting BL installed successfully.

For example BL Lithium had a hard time installing onto my AMD Ryzen systems initially but thankfully there was Debian Backports where there was a compatible kernel and once installed then the system boots properly and all hardware was then recognized.

Last edited by DeepDayze (2020-11-29 04:07:30)

Real Men Use Linux

Board footer