You are not logged in.

#1 2020-11-20 14:32:22

schwim
Website

Adding/editing entries in jgmenu

Hi there everyone!

I'm having problems understanding how to add or edit entries in the new menu.  I'm looking at the  prepend file and I see how to run a command but often the places I'd like an entry to be, it's pulling from a pipe menu file and I don't know how to modify that.

For instance, I'd like to add an entry in the development submenu.  I would like an entry titled "Bootstrap Studio" that runs the command "~/.scripts/BootstrapStudio.AppImage --no-sandbox" .  How would I go about doing this?

Thanks for your time!

Schw.im! A social site with an identity crisis.

#2 2020-11-20 15:36:12

malm
jgmenu developer
Website

Re: Adding/editing entries in jgmenu

You can either edit the files in ~/.config/jgmenu or create a .desktop file

To add an entry to the part of the menu you’re referring to, add a .desktop file to ~/.local/share/applications

Take one from /usr/share/applications as a template

#3 2020-11-20 16:30:27

damo
....moderator....

Or copy the relevant pipemenu to ~/bin, and add whichever menuItem you want, in the appropriate place.

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#4 2020-11-24 02:05:12

johnraff
nullglob
Website

schwim wrote:

I'd like to add an entry in the development submenu.  I would like an entry titled "Bootstrap Studio" that runs the command "~/.scripts/BootstrapStudio.AppImage --no-sandbox" .

In this particular case you're looking at a submenu of the dynamically-generated "Applications" menu, so I think @malm's suggestion of creating a .desktop file would be the way to go. If you use the file associated with one of the apps thet already appears in "Development" as a template it shouldn't be too hard.

OTOH for other pipemenus which are bash scripts, then follow @damo's advice to create a personal copy, and edit it.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

Board footer