You are not logged in.

#1 2020-11-02 10:48:38

niftyprose

BunsenLabs -- repurposing PPA

Hello guys, my first post on these forums in a while. (I used the early releases extensively but had serious hardware problems with Helium; Lithium seems to have fixed them.)

Now that I'm back, I'm confronted with a very specific issue.

I've been using outliner software since the 80s and have very definite tastes. I can use HNB as a fallback but really I'd like a desktop outliner app, single-pane, nice look and feel.

I'm keen on Barry Block's Hiero, which he released via a Ubuntu-oriented PPA five years ago. Obviously don't want to put a PPA straight into Bunsen. There's some discussion online where the PPA was converted into a Debian format for Mepis and antiX users but the resulting files don't seem to be in the repos and I can't reach anyone involved.

Can anyone point me at a resource which will help me Debify the Hiero PPA? Sorry for the loose terminology. I'm starting from scratch here but I'm assuming that this isn't going to be a massive undertaking.

Best, NP.

#2 2020-11-02 11:05:03

damo
....moderator....

Re: BunsenLabs -- repurposing PPA

You could try installing from a deb using gdebi. It will tell you if there are going to be conflicts.
https://launchpad.net/~bwb-s/+archive/u … /+packages

If you can find the source then there are HowTos around for building debs, eg HowTo Build a Package from Source the Smart Way

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3 2020-11-02 14:03:44

niftyprose

Hi damo, long time no speak. Thanks for the very fast and well-informed response.

I did some more digging and turned up a .deb file of Hiero outliner in the Testing MEPIS 12 Community Repository (used for both M12 & MX-14). The .deb wasn't produced by the developer but the person who made it described the operation as 'trivial'. Here's the listing:

Package: hiero
Version: 1.2~mcr120+1
Architecture: amd64
Maintainer: Mike Purtell (mmikeinsantarosa) <maintainer@mepiscommunity.org>
Installed-Size: 273
Depends: mono-runtime (>= 2.10.1), libglib2.0-cil (>= 2.12.10-1ubuntu1), libgtk2.0-cil (>= 2.12.10-1ubuntu1), libmono-corlib4.0-cil (>= 2.10.1), libmono-posix4.0-cil (>= 2.10.1), libmono-system-xml4.0-cil (>= 1.0), libmono-system4.0-cil (>= 2.10.7)
Priority: optional
Section: editors
Filename: pool/test/h/hiero/hiero_1.2~mcr120+1_amd64.deb
Size: 60468
SHA256: 70910d473ec5670e2f513f75de4e73cf7ab1109fca0253684756027143524a78
SHA1: b9a934d8e44f0b344d94779e27d00b38429d6265
MD5sum: f1678f552bb1f97c50b91f80d5c549ee
Description: Create hierarchical outlines for writing, organizing, etc.
Hiero is an outliner created for use on the Linux platform. Though it can
be used to manage all kinds of hierarchical text, (task or "to do" lists
being a good example) the hope is that it will be particularly well suited
for use by those needing to draft essays, articles, dissertations, etc.
According to Wikipedia, "an outliner is a computer program that allows
text to be organized into discrete sections that are related in a tree
structure or hierarchy. Text may be collapsed into a node, or expanded and
edited." Hiero is of a class of outliners commonly referred to as "single
pane" outliners, named for the fact that they use but a single pane to
display both the outline's overall structure as well as each node's
details.
Original-Maintainer: Barry Block <bwb@fireflysoftware.com>

Any thoughts about installing it in Lithium?

Best, NP

#4 2020-11-02 14:18:25

damo
....moderator....

There are debs in the launchpad link I gave you: expand a "Source" and look in "Package files".

#5 2020-11-03 10:10:25

niftyprose

Aha! Thanks, Damo. (You can tell that I'm new to this stuff.) I'll post an update here shortly. NP.

#6 2020-11-07 18:14:37

niftyprose

Here's the update I promised on installing the Hiero outliner. Executive summary: wheeeee!

I'm a big fan of outliners, a writing aid which emerged in the 80s and then seemed to lose ground. Hiero is a light, simple and elegant example released by Barry Block about a decade ago. It's functionally rather similar to the old Acta on Macintosh, which is my personal all-time favourite.

Mr. Block originally released Hiero for Ubuntu via a PPA. I posted on the forum of SparkyLinux, my previous distro, about the possibility of adapting this, and had my thread frozen for even suggesting such a heretical idea. (Time to go!)

I found .deb files by my own roundabout route, but Damo on this forum had in fact located them for me in response to my initial query. I installed hiero_1.2~focal1_amd64.deb via the package installer earlier today.

The installation went smoothly. Hiero turned up in the Accessories with the default BunsenLabs WoB styling. The program seems absolutely stable.

I'll amend this post if I get any problems. For the moment, I'll just thank Damo and recommend this excellent package to other users.

NP.

#7 2020-11-07 18:17:51

damo
....moderator....

Sounds good. So was the Ubuntu Focal version the most recent to install without dependency issues?

#8 2020-11-08 10:05:02

ohnonot
...again
Website

Funny, I thought this was some graphical software, turns out it isn't...
For a short while I used treeline, but frankly I don't have much use for this sort of software. There's also leo, outwiker, and a vim plugin, as far as Linux is concerned.

Search youtube without a brwoser: repo | thread
BL quote proposals to this thread please.
my repos / my repos

#9 2020-11-08 17:59:28

niftyprose

Hi guys, regretful update in case anyone's tracking this thread: don't bother with Hiero. I used it for a large job today and it started randomly substituting text for no obvious reason. Out!

Thanks to OhNo for suggestions. As a very long-term user of outliners I have particular favourites besides those he mentions. HNB works well in the terminal despite its advanced age, and TKO works acceptably on the desktop despite an outdated interface.

But neither of these is as good as Macintosh software I was using nearly 30 years ago. It's very frustrating. There's a small but real gap here.

NP.

Board footer