You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-09 12:59:41

dumetrulo

Install Lithium on Btrfs on LVM on LUKS on UEFI

Hi there! I have been trying for a week or so to install Lithium on an already prepared partition layout on my Dell Latitude E7450 with 256GB SSD. Partition layout has a 380MB partition (/dev/sda1) for EFI, and a 238GB partition (/dev/sda2) for the crypto container. That again contains a 222GB LV (/dev/vg0/root) for the file system, and a 16GB LV (/dev/vg0/swap) for swap. Btrfs file system is initialized with a few subvolumes, and to be mounted with specific options.

(Side story: apparently LVM is the only thing you can use to subdivide the crypto container; I tried partitioning [particularly using a BSD label, which the kernel otherwise supports just fine] but there is no way to make the kernel see the partitions inside the crypto container.)

Unfortunately the installer has no expert mode where I could just open the crypto container, mount the partitions with specific options, and have it install everything. I managed to find instructions for loading modules with anna-load, which makes the installer see the LVs but then it fails to install the boot loader.

Anyone can provide some concise and complete instructions for achieving this? I should also be able to just debootstrap a minimal buster system, and add BL onto it, as long as the instructions are reasonably complete. Thanks to anyone who can assist!

#2 2020-10-09 14:20:25

damo
....moderator....

Re: Install Lithium on Btrfs on LVM on LUKS on UEFI

dumetrulo wrote:

... I should also be able to just debootstrap a minimal buster system, and add BL onto it, as long as the instructions are reasonably complete. Thanks to anyone who can assist!

There is a BL netinstall method for use after a minimal Debian install: https://github.com/BunsenLabs/bunsen-netinstall. Instructions in the README.

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3 2020-10-09 14:30:45

dumetrulo

damo wrote:

There is a BL netinstall method for use after a minimal Debian install: https://github.com/BunsenLabs/bunsen-netinstall. Instructions in the README.

Thank you damo, I have seen this one. It says:

This is a collection of files intended to install a close approximation of BunsenLabs Linux

Is it close enough to be indistinguishable by any BL-specific tools?

#4 2020-10-09 15:43:39

damo
....moderator....

dumetrulo wrote:

Close enough I believe, but @johnraff should know the details. I think it is still a WIP, bringing it up-to-date with the current Lithium setup (it is an update of the original netinstall script).

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#5 2020-10-09 20:18:11

dumetrulo

Thanks again damo. I did not use it yet; instead I backed up the incomplete install, reformatted the btrfs LV, created the subvolumes, mounted everything with correct options, restored the backup, chrooted into it, and repaired GRUB.

Now I have a subfolder EFI/debian on the ESP, and efibootmgr shows a boot entry for it but the EFI boot menu (pressing F12 at boot) does not show it, and just booting through provides an error saying, No bootable devices found. Any idea?

Last edited by dumetrulo (2020-10-09 20:19:52)

#6 2020-10-10 01:41:22

johnraff
nullglob
Website

damo wrote:
dumetrulo wrote:

Close enough I believe, but @johnraff should know the details. I think it is still a WIP, bringing it up-to-date with the current Lithium setup (it is an update of the original netinstall script).

The Lithium netinstall script is now supposed to be ready for use.

"close approximation" is a legal get-out, but any differences are likely to be pretty small - some missing package or a minor config tweak.

Of course any bug reports are most welcome! smile

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#7 2020-10-17 21:52:05

dumetrulo

After a lot of trying and reinstalling multiple times, I managed to set up BunsenLabs the way I want it. I will probably write a follow-up explaining what I did so others can install BunsenLabs with proper full-disk encryption as well.

One snag, however, remains: GRUB boots to a prompt, apparently because it is looking for its config file in the wrong EFI folder. GRUB got installed to (hd0,gpt1)/EFI/bunsenlabs but in the GRUB shell, prefix is set to (hd0,gpt1)/EFI/debian. Any idea how to fix this?

#8 2020-10-19 07:19:43

johnraff
nullglob
Website

(The netinstall script is to be run on top of a basic command-line-only Debian install, so grub should already be installed and working at that point. That's why it's a viable option for working round tricky grub/EFI issues.)

#9 2020-10-19 12:35:40

dumetrulo

johnraff wrote:

(The netinstall script is to be run on top of a basic command-line-only Debian install, so grub should already be installed and working at that point. That's why it's a viable option for working round tricky grub/EFI issues.)

OK, then the question becomes: can the netinstall script install the particular way I want my system set up with full disk encryption, btrfs subvolumes, and no unencrypted /boot partition?

#10 2020-10-19 13:25:21

rbh

dumetrulo wrote:
johnraff wrote:

OK, then the question becomes: can the netinstall script install the particular way I want my system set up with full disk encryption, btrfs subvolumes, and no unencrypted /boot partition?

No. The netinstall skript installs X, Openbox, and default applications.

Partioning, encryption, network, -  a working "command-line-only Debian" , must be installed.

// Regards rbh

#11 2020-10-20 02:48:56

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Or, to put it another way, yes. wink

If you can install a basic Debian system with the setup you want, then the netinstall script can put BunsenLabs on it.

#12 2020-10-20 04:45:46

rbh

johnraff wrote:

Or, to put it another way, yes. wink

If you can install a basic Debian system with the setup you want, then the netinstall script can put BunsenLabs on it.

Or put it another way: No!

The netinstall skript installs X, Openbox, and default applications, with BL specific settings. It wont change anything regarding encryption and so on. That has to be done prior or after running the netinst script.

// Regards rbh

#13 2020-10-20 05:18:41

johnraff
nullglob
Website

@rbh I was agreeing with you, in fact.

But:

It wont change anything regarding encryption and so on. That has to be done prior or after running the netinst script.

Of course after installing the OS will be too late to set up encryption, file systems, partitioning etc.

#14 2020-10-20 09:26:35

rbh

johnraff wrote:

@rbh I was agreeing with you, in fact.

But:

It wont change anything regarding encryption and so on. That has to be done prior or after running the netinst script.

Of course after installing the OS will be too late to set up encryption, file systems, partitioning etc.

It is allways best to plan system properly before installing. But if applied partition-cheme / filesystem, after installation do not suite you, it is possible to boot from external media, backup data/system, redo partition/filesystem, write back system/data, chroot to system, re-configure/tune what has to be reconfigured/tuned.

It is also possible to encrypt an existing installation: HOWTO: Encrypt an existing Debian installation

So, it is not to late to after installation. But, You create a hell of a lot more when not planning ok.

// Regards rbh

#15 2020-10-20 09:47:46

johnraff
nullglob
Website

rbh wrote:

So, it is not to late to after installation.

OK you win.
Tq0IvWn.png

#16 2020-10-20 15:59:23

rbh

johnraff wrote:

OK you win.

I argued less for wining, more for avoiding anywone being missled...

// Regards rbh

#17 2020-10-21 03:14:57

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^Of course! smile
I was half-joking.

Board footer