You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-17 19:44:21

Blammo

Having trouble installing from latest ISO, no detect network device

Hi all. Long time user, first time caller. I started with CrunchBang a long time ago and I've been using BL off and on for a few years. I'm not a power users so forgive me if I don't provide enough info right away, I might need some coaching to get enough description of the issue to you. I'm at the level of linux where I mash buttons and do a lot of copy/pasting stuff into the cli until I see something work, and then repeat that. Doesn't work all the time but I'm usually pretty happy and I've rarely borked a build that way.

Anyway. Today I borked my build. Early this morning I was tinkering with a new program (jekyll & associated stuff) and I got an error saying whatever package didn't have write access to a few things. I hadn't had my coffee yet, and without even thinking I just set everything under /usr to my user account, recursively, and went on my way. It wasn't long before I realized I had lost access to root, sudo, all of it. I had messed the whole permission structure up and instead of trying to untangle it, I figured I was ready for a fresh install anyhow.

So, until this morning I was working from Lithium testing ISO back in late january or february the last time, and it worked OOB. The install and the build worked great. I went to use that same ISO and it wouldn't work today. So I downloaded the latest ISO and made it bootable on a USB key with Rufus. Took it for a spin in live, everything worked fine including networking.

Then I went to install and it doesn't detect network hardware, and even though my network adapter is listed in the big list after the fail, when I choose it nothing happens. I can't move on from there. I'm also having trouble with grub, even if I skip networking stuff. I must be missing something simple.

As mentioned, the ISO I installed from earlier this year detected everything fine, built the grub fine, everything worked. Today networking and grub are both giving me the trouble. I don't really know what to start looking for in this current setup.

I'm using a 2017 Razer Blade if that helps. I've been successfully dual-booting with win-10 for the several months, so it was working fine until today.

Thanks!

Thanks!

#2 2020-10-17 19:55:21

damo
....moderator....

Re: Having trouble installing from latest ISO, no detect network device

There have been a few recent similar problems. Try the fix here: https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic … 50#p104850

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3 2020-10-17 20:02:58

Blammo

I saw this solution with some search earlier and the tried it. I couldn't discern which menu they refer to hit TAB. I hit TAB at all available screens of the GUI installer and nothing happened.

Can you explain me which menu to hit TAB?

Thanks for fast reply damo!

#4 2020-10-17 20:16:16

damo
....moderator....

You press tab at the installer's grub screen (instructions at the bottom). Then you can add the kernel parameter.

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#5 2020-10-17 20:39:15

Blammo

Okay the menu item is select 'e' on my prompt, not TAB. Now I have found it. So I added 'ipv6.disable=1' where instructed and the installation script still wouldn't detect network adapters, and wouldn't let me pick the 'auth10' options from the big list after fail (which are my hardware).

I'm stumped. Can I download the older testing ISO that worked for me 7 months ago? I assume the reason the one on my usb key didn't work was because the repos were outdated, maybe I can change those from the older ISO?

#6 Yesterday 04:05:39

drummer

If it's the ipv6 thing, I scroll down to where it says "installer", use the key "e", and insert “ipv6.disable=1” just before "-- quiet". It works every time for me.

The second post in this thread explains it better than I have. I have had similar hangups with former Debian installs that weren't Bunsenlabs, but if you apply that fix, Bunsen is pretty much like any Debian install. It's my "go to" Debian install actually.

#7 Yesterday 04:18:17

phuturism

Blammo wrote:

Okay the menu item is select 'e' on my prompt, not TAB. Now I have found it. So I added 'ipv6.disable=1' where instructed and the installation script still wouldn't detect network adapters, and wouldn't let me pick the 'auth10' options from the big list after fail (which are my hardware).

I'm stumped. Can I download the older testing ISO that worked for me 7 months ago? I assume the reason the one on my usb key didn't work was because the repos were outdated, maybe I can change those from the older ISO?

Maybe a silly question, but are you adding the 'ipv6.disable=1' to the correct menu item in the selection screen?  ie the text installer if you are going with text installer.   I only ask because I nearly added the parameter to the "live install" boot menu item, not the installer item when I tried this the first time.

L I N U X  -  M O T O R B I K E S  -  B O O K S  -  T R A V E L  -  A S I A

#8 Yesterday 18:52:31

Blammo

Well I ended up getting it to work. I re-downloaded the ISO from the site (vs torrent) and followed the same steps I was doing yesterday, including putting ipv6.disable, and something just clicked into place today.

Thanks for the help. I had to suffer through a full day of using winblows and I'm glad to be back on BL that's for sure!

Board footer