You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-12 02:12:26

gyclone

[SOLVED]Where to download previous versions?

I've searched here and google and have skimmed through many discussions suggested in search results, but have not been able to find a source for helium (amd64), nor any other previous versions.

Current situation prompting my question: Lithium install has not worked on slightly crippled machine and I want to test with helium, which had been successfully installed several times on same machine, before I jump to troubleshooting new ssd or live usb's from which lithium install attempts have been made.

Thanks!

Last edited by damo (2020-10-14 22:09:43)

#2 2020-10-12 07:14:11

damo
....moderator....

Re: [SOLVED]Where to download previous versions?

What is the issue when trying to install Lithium? There may be a simple fix if it is a known problem.

For Helium try this torrent magnet (paste into browser address bar):

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:0a25ba737c90aa0b797d5473af2f624735a116fc&dn=helium-5-amd64.hybrid.iso

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3 2020-10-12 09:59:29

gyclone

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:0a25ba737c90aa0b797d5473af2f624735a116fc&dn=helium-5-amd64.hybrid.iso

Thanks! I'll try this when I'm rested and focused enough to feel remotely capable of carrying it out successfully.

damo wrote:

What is the issue when trying to install Lithium? There may be a simple fix if it is a known problem.

Tbh, the laptop in question is 8-10 years old, has been beat to death, and, as compared to a nearly identical model in the house, has been showing signs of serious problems and nearly imminent failure for years. The ssd on which I'm trying to install was bought in a rush, with zero due diligence done to determine compatibility, because it was the only affordable ssd I could get my hands on in the next 48 hours. Helium was last known-to-be-working OS on that machine, which was my daily driver, so the fastest way back to familiar, as well as important test in determining which changed variables are preventing functionality is helium. If I can't get it to install with the same ease as before, I'll probably make the jump to lithium, take a more diligent stab at doing everything properly, make note of the associated settings, etc., then report back if still needing help. I'm no expert, but I'm experienced enough that I can at least bang through it all once on my own before I waste anyone else's time. ... and I don't want to be forever labeled as one of those annoying people that comes in all "your stuff broke, fix it now, for free" when there was plenty of pilot error involved in my current situation. ;-) ... Thanks, though! ... Been loving BL. Just need to reconfigure some things and get my hardware sorted.

Last edited by gyclone (2020-10-12 10:42:07)

#4 2020-10-12 11:28:38

twoion
ほやほや

gyclone wrote:

I've searched here and google and have skimmed through many discussions suggested in search results, but have not been able to find a source for helium (amd64), nor any other previous versions.

Current situation prompting my question: Lithium install has not worked on slightly crippled machine and I want to test with helium, which had been successfully installed several times on same machine, before I jump to troubleshooting new ssd or live usb's from which lithium install attempts have been made.

Thanks!

It's unfortunate; I just took the archive down from our server to prepare for a migration. Our torrent tracker still has seeds for most old releases. I've put up the last Helium and Deuterium (=Hydrogen refreshed) release ISOs back up here: https://kelaino.bunsenlabs.org/ddl/Archive/ You can also find the torrent files there. Please note that we don't actively develop or support these releases anymore (of course you can still ask here in the relevant subforums) and that the underlying Debian distribution, especially as far as Jessie is concerned, is EOL and packages might not be safe to use on the internet anymore. If you need a browser on these systems, it's best to get the latets Firefox or Chrome directly without relying on the packaging. Note that the ISOs might also not install correctly or without errors anymore as Debian already removed some jessie repos from their main servers, to archive.debian.org.

Per aspera ad astra.

#5 2020-10-12 12:03:08

unklar

^yes, and anyway it would be of great advantage if people could finally get into the habit of publishing their machine data instead of writing "reports" here page by page...  hmm

The command

inxi -Fxz

should be known to every Linux user by now.   wink

#6 2020-10-12 17:10:23

hhh
Meep!
Website

unklar wrote:

^yes, and anyway it would be of great advantage if people could finally get into the habit of publishing their machine data instead of writing "reports" here page by page...  hmm

The command

inxi -Fxz

The first I've heard of it. Guess I'm not a Linux user after 12 years and helping to get BL jump-started. Sad emoji.

#7 2020-10-12 21:37:40

rbh

hhh wrote:

The first I've heard of it.

Getting old and forgetfull like me?

In the BunsenLabs Lithium Release Notes, you listed new tools aditons, among them inxi...

But, yes, inxi is quite handy and gives good info. Maybe the forum rules,should contain an prompt to add system info to help-requests, and a tip that inxi is good source?

Last edited by rbh (2020-10-12 21:38:15)

// Regards rbh

#8 2020-10-13 02:11:45

johnraff
nullglob
Website

unklar wrote:

The command

inxi -Fxz

I haven't used inxi that much to date, but I just tried the above command and it indeed produced an excellent summary, nicely formatted and easily readable. cool

(and it saves having to remember a whole lot of separate commands to check drive, disk space etc etc, and doesn't need sudo)

Last edited by johnraff (2020-10-13 02:19:14)

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#9 2020-10-13 09:17:19

unklar

lol  lol

@hhh and @johnraff,

I can't believe this...  smile

one

man inxi 
or 
inxi --help

provide excellent information

I came across this tool 10 years ago through antiX and in the meantime I know of distributions that require the output of inxi for their support.
The developer version is called pinxi.

We should implement the suggestion of @rbh also in BL.  smile

#10 2020-10-13 14:01:29

damo
....moderator....

IIRC @machinebacon of the old #! forums is/was one of the developers of inxi. Before it was packaged for Debian it had to be installed as a script, and was frowned upon as an excessive tool by some people: "bash bloat" smile

It was handy especially for house-keeping for kernels, but the nvidia graphics script was notorious for causing breakage (for me anyway, so I stopped using it).

#11 2020-10-14 04:30:31

johnraff
nullglob
Website

damo wrote:

the nvidia graphics script was notorious for causing breakage

This is why I left inxi strictly alone for so long. It seemed like a nasty hacky mess, but I think the Debian package dropped all that part, just leaving the hardware info. Right Damo?

(I had no idea Machinebacon was involved though.)

EDIT There was also smxi. Was that the nvidia graphics part?

Last edited by johnraff (2020-10-14 04:33:46)

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#12 2020-10-14 04:39:48

damo
....moderator....

Yes it seems to be just data output now. Including weather, curiously. It used to be able to do APT cleanup, kernel installation, graphics drivers etc. (although that was probably with subsidiary scripts that came with it).

EDIT: smxi rings a bell...

Last edited by damo (2020-10-14 04:41:37)

#13 2020-10-14 19:45:38

ohnonot
...again
Website

^ yep, smxi != inxi.

@unklar:
Nothing wrong with inxi, but nothing wrong with any number of other system diagnostic tools, either.

With that I hope OP hasn't left us yet?

BL quote proposals to this thread please.
my repos / my repos

#14 2020-10-14 21:20:36

gyclone

ohnonot wrote:

With that I hope OP hasn't left us yet?

Still in the game, but having health issues this week making science somewhat difficult, especially whilst relegated to the raspberrypi I'd only acquired a couple days ago. ;-)

I DO have working copies of both helium & lithium, so my question is resolved, but I don't readily see a way of marking the question as such, nor of giving credit to anyone for providing the links.

Installation should be resolved shortly, but currently testing some weirdness found in creation of live usb's. Will respond fully when I have a full report.

Thanks to all!

#15 2020-10-14 22:09:17

damo
....moderator....

gyclone wrote:

...but I don't readily see a way of marking the question as such, nor of giving credit to anyone for providing the links.

Edit your first post and change the title. I've done it for you this time wink

#16 2020-10-16 17:18:35

gyclone

damo wrote:
gyclone wrote:

...but I don't readily see a way of marking the question as such, nor of giving credit to anyone for providing the links.

Edit your first post and change the title. I've done it for you this time wink

Um, yeah, that occurred to me eventually. Been a while since I used a forum. ;-) Thanks!

damo wrote:

Okay, I am up and running and good to go, but I did find and issue: I was entirely unable to create a usable live usb using cp or dd, as instructed here:

https://www.bunsenlabs.org/installation.html
https://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#write-usb

I tested with multiple usb drives, multiple ports, multiple source images (helium & lithium), multiple computers for burning the images, both fat32 & ext4 file formats, boot flag set and not set, UEFI vs Legacy boot, etc., and could not isolate. The exact failures and errors varied slightly depending on settings, but overall, the drive was either not recognized at all or was not recognized as bootable.

I WAS able to create live usb's that work using the instructions for creating a drive with persistence, as found here: https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=5046 . That image worked as a live usb and install media under both UEFI and Legacy boot, but only maintained persistence under Legacy.

Occurred to me that maybe the upacking via 7z was the key. It did produce a image that could be booted using UEFI, but not Legacy.

$ 7z x /home/username/downloads/bl-Helium_amd64+build2.iso

I had this problem when I initially switched to bl and solved it that time by burning the media from Windows. If I'm honest, had that not worked then, I probably would have aborted and never tried bl. Similarly, before I found the workarounds mentioned here, I was already looking for other distros to try. :-( ... Had I realized that y'all were as helpful as you appear to be, I'd have asked for help, but I'd given up on forums for anything other that something like the "missing" previous versions, because I have no desire to explain over and over why the "solution" found in the first 400 results of a google search won't work in my use case. :-)

Anyway, I don't feel any need to understand why this was happening, so it's no longer an issue for me, but, if anyone wants me to help run it down further, I'm happy to contribute. I have much more specific data from my tests, but saw no point in posting it unless somebody was trying to address this issue, which may not be an issue for anyone but me.

Okay, now, just to wrap up fully ...

damo wrote:

I wasn't able to get this to work, but the last time I used a torrent was right after the last time I used limewire, so, I'm probably just doing it wrong.

twoion wrote:

It's unfortunate; I just took the archive down from our server to prepare for a migration. Our torrent tracker still has seeds for most old releases. I've put up the last Helium and Deuterium (=Hydrogen refreshed) release ISOs back up here: https://kelaino.bunsenlabs.org/ddl/Archive/

I'm just glad I wasn't missing some great big "Click here for previous versions" link. ;-) ... Thanks for putting those back up. Much appreciated!

unklar wrote:

The command

inxi -Fxz

Well, it's now known by me. The question is, will it be remembered by me the next time I need it. ... Any handy way of outputting the data whilst maintaining the formatting (including font colors)?

rbh wrote:
hhh wrote:

The first I've heard of it.

Getting old and forgetfull like me?

In the BunsenLabs Lithium Release Notes, you listed new tools aditons, among them inxi...

Oh, how I appreciate some good-natured savagery!

Anyway, thanks all!

ps. Just barely starting to use lithium. Still in the stage of cursing your names for making me migrate all my keybindings and autostart declarations, but that should pass in a day or so and then I'll probably love it! ;-)

#17 2020-10-17 07:35:28

ohnonot
...again
Website

gyclone wrote:

I was entirely unable to create a usable live usb using cp or dd, as instructed here:

I tested with multiple usb drives, multiple ports, multiple source images (helium & lithium), multiple computers for burning the images, both fat32 & ext4 file formats, boot flag set and not set, UEFI vs Legacy boot, etc., and could not isolate. The exact failures and errors varied slightly depending on settings, but overall, the drive was either not recognized at all or was not recognized as bootable.

Show us the exact commands you used and their full output, and the effect each command had on booting the result.
How did you determine where to burn to?

BL quote proposals to this thread please.
my repos / my repos

#18 2020-10-17 17:44:38

rbh

gyclone wrote:

I was entirely unable to create a usable live usb using cp or dd, as instructed here:

I tested [...] both fat32 & ext4 file formats, boot flag set and not set,

@gyclone, I think you have misunderstood the instruktions for workin with cp or dd.

cp/dd <file/source> <device/target>

When writing to the device (sdb or sdx), it is totally irrelevant what filesystem there is on the device prior to dd/cp. 

Maybe you have partioned and made an filesystem on your usb-device, and copied the iso-file to the partition? That could explain your failure to boot.

You should do:

cp lithium-1-amd64.hybrid.iso /dev/sdc

not writing to /dev/sdc1 or /dev/sdxy

// Regards rbh

#19 2020-10-17 21:06:45

gyclone

rbh wrote:

@gyclone, I think you have misunderstood the instruktions for workin with cp or dd.

Yes, you are correct, I HAD misunderstood the instructions. In both cases, I believe I'd been outputting to /media/username/drive.

rbh wrote:

When writing to the device (sdb or sdx), it is totally irrelevant what filesystem there is on the device prior to dd/cp.

You should do:

cp lithium-1-amd64.hybrid.iso /dev/sdc

not writing to /dev/sdc1 or /dev/sdxy

This was what brought it home for me. Had the example linked above shown that, rather than just <file/source> <device/target>, it would have saved me hours.

I know bl isn't really intended for n00bs and that a more experienced Linux user might not have made this mistake. But, although I've only been using Linux for about a year, I'm not really a n00b, either. I've gone through roughly 12 distros and multiple installations thereof. Before that, I spent roughly 15 years doing various forms of development, administration, tech support, and testing in the Windows and Mac worlds. I'm all self-taught and only   know the things I've needed to know, but I do have a pretty broad base of knowledge and experience. So, I guess what I'm saying is that if I can make that mistake, I'm probably not the only one and maybe a little more specific info in the install instructions might save some others some trouble and possibly prevent someone from abandoning bl for something that comes with somewhat more explicit instructions. But, that's just my thoughts and even I don't pay much attention to my thoughts, most of the time, so, I can't really expect you to pay attention to them either. :-)

Most importantly, I learned a little something today, so, although I feel pretty silly for not finding this solution myself, I am glad I brought it up.

rbh wrote:

I get confused as to the difference between devices and drives as pertaining to the various operations in Linux. I was wiping the drives between attempts and figured I'd try both file systems, just in case. At least you can't say I didn't make an effort to run down every variable on my end. ;-)

Anyway, thanks!

#20 2020-10-17 21:26:39

damo
....moderator....

It is slightly obscure, but the Installation page on the Bnsenlabs website has a link on "How to write an ISO image under Linux/Unix, Windows or macOS". This goes to How do I write a CD/DVD/BD image to a USB flash drive?

Debian wrote:

On a Linux machine, simply use the "cp" command, to copy an image to a USB flash drive:

cp <file> <device>

Alternatively you can also use "dd":

dd if=<file> of=<device> bs=4M; sync

where:

<file> is the name of the input image, e.g. "netinst.iso"
    <device> is the device matching the USB flash drive, e.g. /dev/sda, /dev/sdb. Be careful to make sure you have the right device name, as this command is capable of writing over your hard disk just as easily if you get the wrong one!
    "bs=4M" tells dd to read/write in 4 megabyte chunks for better performance; the default is 512 bytes, which will be much slower
    The "sync" is to make sure that all the writes are flushed out before the command returns.

#21 2020-10-17 23:43:08

gyclone

Yeah, those were the instructions I was following. I haven't interacted much with devices in Linux, whereas I frequently cp files using "/media/user/drive" as the target. So, I read "device" in the broader sense (to include "drive"), thought "/media/etc..." and it never occurred to me to try the other, even though it did occur to me to try just about everything else. ... But, I also tanked one of my backup drives by using dd without my glasses, so, obviously I'm not the sharpest tool in the shack. ;-)

#22 2020-10-18 01:05:11

rbh

gyclone wrote:

I believe I'd been outputting to /media/username/drive.

No. If you have automount enabled, in /home/<username>/, you mount partitions, not drives!

"Disk partitions are a way of breaking up a storage drive into smaller usable units. A partition is a section of a storage drive that can be treated in much the same way as a drive itself."

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ … s-in-linux

Drive, harddrive, disk, device, are synonyms.

Last edited by rbh (2020-10-18 01:05:45)

// Regards rbh

#23 2020-10-18 01:14:40

phuturism

gyclone wrote:

I get confused as to the difference between devices and drives as pertaining to the various operations in Linux. I was wiping the drives between attempts and figured I'd try both file systems, just in case. At least you can't say I didn't make an effort to run down every variable on my end. ;-)

Anyway, thanks!

dd is one of those super powerful commands - I found this out the hard way once when trying to write an ISO to a USB drive and instead wiped my 1 terabyte data storage drive LOL

I now obsessively fdisk -l to check the correct drive paths before attempting a dd operation.

L I N U X  -  M O T O R B I K E S  -  B O O K S  -  T R A V E L  -  A S I A

#24 2020-10-18 05:15:03

gyclone

phuturism wrote:

dd is one of those super powerful commands - I found this out the hard way once when trying to write an ISO to a USB drive and instead wiped my 1 terabyte data storage drive LOL

Yeah, that's basically exactly what I did (and not 3 minutes after reading that damn warning :-) ). I have online backups, but the downloads take forever. I've already proven I can recover the data using testdisk, but that yields no folder structure and meaningless file names. Bought a cheap 1T external hdd tonight so I can clone what's there and see if I can hack out a better solution. I've officially learned my lesson about the "convenience" of having all my data on a single hdd, let alone one that's running in an 8-year-old laptop. ... Just went ssd and will load only OS, essential tools, and a few frequently used files and/or current projects. Everything else can live solely in the cloud and/or on externals. Never again shall failure of a single drive knock me offline for days.

phuturism wrote:

I now obsessively fdisk -l to check the correct drive paths before attempting a dd operation.

I REALLY need to familiarize myself with more of those sorts of tools in Linux. I'm just a hobbyist now, not a pro, and none of my friends nor family use Linux (sheep, all of them :-)). so I don't need such things often. I'm not a fan of most online learning resources and, since I have both good backups and a sense of adventure, I'm prone to just saying "f' it, what's the worst that could happen?" then pushing whatever big, red button happens to be before me... It should be noted that this approach almost always results in me finding out exactly what was the worst that could have happened and then spending days digging myself out of holes. Probably not the best approach, but exciting and keeps me learning. ;-)

#25 2020-10-18 06:45:24

phuturism

gyclone wrote:

I REALLY need to familiarize myself with more of those sorts of tools in Linux. I'm just a hobbyist now, not a pro, and none of my friends nor family use Linux (sheep, all of them :-)). so I don't need such things often. I'm not a fan of most online learning resources and, since I have both good backups and a sense of adventure, I'm prone to just saying "f' it, what's the worst that could happen?" then pushing whatever big, red button happens to be before me... It should be noted that this approach almost always results in me finding out exactly what was the worst that could have happened and then spending days digging myself out of holes. Probably not the best approach, but exciting and keeps me learning. ;-)

Yeah, I took plenty of risks on the command line early days and still do sometimes.  Trial and error is a valid approach as long as you understand the risks, as you seem to do!  But I suggest continue learning the command line, its fun and becomes more rewarding the more you learn.

L I N U X  -  M O T O R B I K E S  -  B O O K S  -  T R A V E L  -  A S I A

Board footer