You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-09 05:07:27

farzinss

Ctrl+a functionality changed

After upgrading Bunsenlabs from Debian scratch to Buster, ctrl+a functionality changed, now where ever I am, if terminal was open when pressing ctrl+a keybinding, terminal hide and when press that again terminal display,so I can't use it for dragging-all files or text, How can i change this back like before?

Last edited by farzinss (2019-12-09 07:33:29)

#2 2019-12-09 09:40:10

damo
....moderator....

Re: Ctrl+a functionality changed

Are you using the Lithium experimental repo? ie Have you upgraded BL, or just the Debian base?

If you are using the new BL, are you now logging in to the new Bunsenlabs session, or an Openbox session?

If it is a Bunsenlabs session then it is likely you are using xbindkeys to set the keybinds, so perhaps Ctrl-A has been set to toggle the terminal? Show xbindkeys keybinds with

xbindkeys -s

Check if you are now using bl-rc.xml or rc.xml.

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3 2019-12-09 10:46:52

farzinss

damo wrote:

Are you using the Lithium experimental repo? ie Have you upgraded BL, or just the Debian base?

If you are using the new BL, are you now logging in to the new Bunsenlabs session, or an Openbox session?

If it is a Bunsenlabs session then it is likely you are using xbindkeys to set the keybinds, so perhaps Ctrl-A has been set to toggle the terminal? Show xbindkeys keybinds with

xbindkeys -s

Check if you are now using bl-rc.xml or rc.xml.

I upgraded both Debian base and BL, I've not using Lithium repo and I am logging to Openbox session

#4 2019-12-09 13:18:41

rbh

In BL Helium, keybindings is controlled by ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml.
You can show all keybindings from obmenu: "Display keybinds" > "Display keybinds in new window"

Are you using terminator? Terminator have its own config file for keybinds: ~/.config/terminator/config
I have there:

[keybindings]
   hide_window = <Shift><Control>a

that is supposed to hide window, but does not do that... 

If Ctrl+A, hides all windows, also browser, editor and so on, you shold check ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml. If you do not have one, copy /etc/xdg/openbox/rc.xml to ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml.

Or, better update first to lithium experimental repository

// Regards rbh

#5 2019-12-09 17:02:38

farzinss

rbh wrote:

In BL Helium, keybindings is controlled by ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml.
You can show all keybindings from obmenu: "Display keybinds" > "Display keybinds in new window"

Are you using terminator? Terminator have its own config file for keybinds: ~/.config/terminator/config
I have there:

[keybindings]

that is supposed to hide window, but does not do that... 

If Ctrl+A, hides all windows, also browser, editor and so on, you shold check ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml. If you do not have one, copy /etc/xdg/openbox/rc.xml to ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml.

Or, better update first to lithium experimental repository

I checked out Display keybinds in Openbox and terminator config, and all configs seems correct, and no, Ctrl+A doesn't hide all windows just hide and show terminal.

Last edited by farzinss (2019-12-09 17:03:34)

#6 2019-12-09 21:21:06

rbh

I found this thread
"Every time i try to highlight a whole bunch of text using Ctrl+a my terminal gets hidden (not only minimized but also hidden from tint2 but not closed)."

is it the same behavior for you? You are not trying to copy text from the terminal with Ctrl+a?, instead as above, you are working in an other application and Ctrl+a, hides the terminal?

Does it also copy the text from an X-aplication?

Do you have any other terminal? If so, does that also disapear?

If it was my problem, I would tried to fix it onley...
I would have upgraded to Lithium.
If still persistent, refreshed user-configs:

$ bl-user-setup --refresh

overwriting user-configs with default values.
Used meld, to compare userfiles and restore some values.

// Regards rbh

#7 2019-12-10 04:51:15

farzinss

rbh wrote:

I found this thread
"Every time i try to highlight a whole bunch of text using Ctrl+a my terminal gets hidden (not only minimized but also hidden from tint2 but not closed)."

is it the same behavior for you? You are not trying to copy text from the terminal with Ctrl+a?, instead as above, you are working in an other application and Ctrl+a, hides the terminal?

Does it also copy the text from an X-aplication?

Do you have any other terminal? If so, does that also disapear?

If it was my problem, I would tried to fix it onley...
I would have upgraded to Lithium.
If still persistent, refreshed user-configs:

$ bl-user-setup --refresh

overwriting user-configs with default values.
Used meld, to compare userfiles and restore some values.

Oh, this thread is exactly my problem.I have the same behavior.

No, when terminal goes hide, text doesn't copy from X-application.

I also have a Guake terminal but when it's open everything is fine.

I really like to use Lithium, but I don't know after upgrading my configs on network and other app will be fine or not, and everything will match with my hardware or not.

Anyway I think I'll go with upgrade, and see what will happen.

Thank you so much for you help, after upgrading I will write about the result.

#8 2019-12-10 06:27:53

fredastaire

Same issue here.

Made a debian buster installation then used lithium repo to install bunsenlabs stuff.

Whenever I use CTRL+a anywhere, it just hides (or shows if hidden) the terminator terminal window without affecting any other window opened. So to be clear even if use CTRL+a when using the browser, it will only hide/show the terminator console, leaving browser and any other window in the same state. Also same applies if I'm using lxterminal, have the focus on it and try to CTRL+a: lxterminal wont be affected, again only terminator would. But again the CTRL+a function (moving cursor to beginning of line) wont work in the lxterminal console.

A real pain, since I use CTRL+a extensively (to go to beginning of command line, or to give commands to gnu screen).

I have been checking keybindings in everywhere (openbox, terminator, xbindkeys...) and couldnt find any Ctrl+a key bindings.

Also tried killing xbindkeys with this:

#       pkill -x xbindkeys

But even when killed situation was the same so i guess xbindkeys is not to blame for this behaviour. To me it really looks like this is somehow a terminator issue, but funny I can't find any bindings for CTRL+a there.

Any other suggestions would be highly appreciated.

#9 2019-12-10 11:45:56

rbh

fredastaire wrote:

Made a debian buster installation then used lithium repo to install bunsenlabs stuff.

Yesterday you was on Helium. So since then you have reinstalled with Buster? Which iso? and then installed Bunsen stuff from Lithium dev repo?
(I think it would have been better to install Helium and then upgrade to Lithium. There is no network script to install bunsenstuff fron cli-buster. So you end upp with a little bloated desktop... or use the lithium-dev-4-amd64.hybrid.iso)

Before installing Bunsen stuff, did you check status for Ctrl+a?
When reinstalling, did you reuse $HOME home or is $HOME newly created?
If $HOME was reused, have you tested runing "bl-user-setup --refresh"?
Have you tried to login as another user?

I had forget about key Ctrl+a in BASH. You use bash? In terminal I always use Ctrl+arrow to go to start and end (Ctrl+e) of line. So, if you can't remedy your problem, use Ctrl+arrow in your terminal instead.
If you mark text with Ctrl+a in other application and later need your terminal it is still listed with alt+TAB?

Last edited by rbh (2019-12-10 11:46:40)

// Regards rbh

#10 2019-12-10 12:29:01

fredastaire

fredastaire wrote:

Same issue here.

By that I meant to say that I'm a different user also facing the issue, and not that I was the original poster getting the same issue with a new installation, which seems to be what you understood.

Fro your reference I installed from buster netinstall iso, basically following the steps provided in the Experimental BunsenLabs Lithium repository has been set up sticky post. Brand new clean installation, no leftovers from previous installs here.

Back to the issue...at some point, after opening a new terminator window, I realized the issue was only happening in the original terminator window, and not in the new one. So it's working well now.

I'm not sure of what actually did the trick. At some point I tried associating CTRL+a to some action in terminator key bindings, which didn't work on the first window but it did on the second one. So that association might have done it. I then removed the association and can now freely use CTRL+a for my dark purposes smile

Last edited by fredastaire (2019-12-10 12:30:58)

#11 2019-12-10 16:53:42

farzinss

fredastaire wrote:
fredastaire wrote:

Same issue here.

By that I meant to say that I'm a different user also facing the issue, and not that I was the original poster getting the same issue with a new installation, which seems to be what you understood.

Fro your reference I installed from buster netinstall iso, basically following the steps provided in the Experimental BunsenLabs Lithium repository has been set up sticky post. Brand new clean installation, no leftovers from previous installs here.

Back to the issue...at some point, after opening a new terminator window, I realized the issue was only happening in the original terminator window, and not in the new one. So it's working well now.

I'm not sure of what actually did the trick. At some point I tried associating CTRL+a to some action in terminator key bindings, which didn't work on the first window but it did on the second one. So that association might have done it. I then removed the association and can now freely use CTRL+a for my dark purposes smile

at some point, after opening a new terminator window, I realized the issue was only happening in the original terminator window, and not in the new one. So it's working well now.

I checked this and I realized this too, I'm going to check your possible solution first.

#12 2019-12-11 04:33:04

farzinss

fredastaire wrote:
fredastaire wrote:

Same issue here.

Ok, I did your trick and it works very well, I associate CTRL+a in terminator config file like this:

show_window = <control>a

and ctrl+a worked well as it should be, then I removed this line and now everything is fine

Thanks smile

Last edited by farzinss (2019-12-11 04:34:21)

#13 2020-10-09 02:16:06

crnieto

edit ~/.config/terminator/config file and delete the next line

Board footer