#1026 2020-08-17 18:04:21

hhh
Meep!
Website

Re: Distro-hoppers anonymous

ratcheer wrote:
hhh wrote:

Oh, what a tease. Link to new PC!

Ok, I expect this to be a big step up from my ca 2011 i5 system.

My current thinking is to stay with Arch Linux on the new PC, and once I get it settled, install Gentoo on the old one and try to learn to maintain it. I have installed Gentoo several times in the past, but I always get messed up trying to install applications. Their way of handling that stuff just doesn't click with me. Especially USE FLAGS and overlays.

Then, if I do figure out Gentoo, I would eventually install it on  the new host. If I still don't manage to figure it out, then maybe Sabayon.

Computer Case: Thermaltake Core V71 Full-Tower ATX Case
Power Supply: Thermaltake Smart 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Power Supply
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) AM4/ AMD X570/ DDR4/ SATA3&USB3.2/ M.2/ A&V&GbE/ WIFI&Bluetooth/ ATX
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X AM4 3.8GHz 12-Core Processor
CPU Cooling Fan: 120mm Quiet Edition Water / Liquid CPU Cooler
Memory: 16GB DDR4-2400/2666 PC4-19200/21300
SSD Drive: 500GB Samsung 860 EVO Solid State Drive
Hard Drive: 2TB Storage Drive SATA3/SATA 6.0 GB/s 64MB
Video card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 KO 6GB GDDR6 DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort PCI-Express
DVD Recorder: 24X DVDRW LG SATA
Sound Card: High Definition Audio with High Quality Audio Capacitors (onboard)
Network Card: 100/1000 Gigabit Network Card (onboard)
Warranty: Assembled and tested, 3 years parts and 3 Year labor warranty

Holy sweetness, Batman!

http://www.adamant.com/nvidia-geforce-r … ci-express

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-9-3900x

https://www.thermaltake.com/core-v71.html

I assume you dual-boot Windows for your gaming.

#1027 2020-08-18 02:24:42

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

PackRat wrote:
DeepDayze wrote:

I am so tempted to try a Devuan base and using the BL netinstall script to see if I can whip up a systemd-less BL smile

Have a look at Star Linux

That's ozitraveller's Devuan distro and he has the netinstall iso, and maybe a cli version. Ozi was a #! user and tries to keep that design philosophy with Star. I believe he is registered here (but seldom seen) so you can pm him if you want.

I've had his older Jessie based Star and it was pretty nice. That sounds like a good base to start with and I might try his latest spin out again.

+1

Windoze and BL would both fly on that rig!

Last edited by DeepDayze (2020-08-18 02:30:27)

Real Men Use Linux

#1028 2020-08-18 13:25:13

ratcheer

hhh wrote:

I'm not a gamer, and I don't do Windows. I've used the same PC since 2011, and this will probably be the last one I ever get, so I'm stepping up to the plate.

Right now, my main need for power is the darktable raw image "developing" software. Some of those pixel processing operations can really chew up some CPU. Also, my current system's video card does not seem to support openCL. I'm hoping the new one will.

Yesterday, I ordered a new keyboard (MX Cherry blue) and mouse (high resolution Asus gamer's mouse) for the new rig.

Last edited by ratcheer (2020-08-18 13:27:50)

#1029 2020-08-18 15:07:33

DeepDayze

ratcheer wrote:
hhh wrote:

I'm not a gamer, and I don't do Windows. I've used the same PC since 2011, and this will probably be the last one I ever get, so I'm stepping up to the plate.

Right now, my main need for power is the darktable raw image "developing" software. Some of those pixel processing operations can really chew up some CPU. Also, my current system's video card does not seem to support openCL. I'm hoping the new one will.

Yesterday, I ordered a new keyboard (MX Cherry blue) and mouse (high resolution Asus gamer's mouse) for the new rig.

Sounds like a great graphics workstation you getting. Get plenty of memory as well to make it more future proof, my current new rig soon will have 64GB for graphics stuff.

I would love to ditch Windows but most likely will relegate Windows to a VM for those things needing Windows such as Office.

Last edited by DeepDayze (2020-08-18 15:08:47)

Real Men Use Linux

#1030 2020-08-21 08:37:13

unklar

It is to be feared that Debian with Plasma/KDE is further behind.

"Debian's Qt maintainers resign"
Unfortunately only in german.

#1031 2020-08-22 01:01:26

johnraff
nullglob
Website

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#1032 2020-08-22 12:27:09

glittersloth
...village idiot

ratcheer wrote:

....and mouse (high resolution Asus gamer's mouse) for the new rig.

For some reason, I'm picturing Tim (in full beard and his 'Tim the Enchanter' t-shirt) sitting in from of a rainbow neon rig right now shouting "Arrr Peee Geee!!" into the mic of his gaming headset while playing a shooter, with a fireplace in the background. monkey

Just wondering; if you're pixel editing and retouching, wouldn't a high-precision trackball be a better fit, or are you just not comfortable using those?

Edit:
Wait, Nvidia RTX 2060? Wouldn't that be overkill? Also, why Nvidia?

Last edited by glittersloth (2020-08-22 12:35:31)

#1033 2020-08-23 15:26:39

ratcheer

Ouch! I was the ultimate distrohopper last week. I got my new PC late Wednesday afternoon and intended to install Arch Linux, which I have run on my old host for the past six years. But I was unable to get the installation commands to work the way I wanted them to with my btrfs subvolume layout. It insisted on putting the Linux root into the btrfs-root subvolume. I want it one level lower for a "flat layout". After several reinstalls with changing tactics, I gave up.

Next, I tried Fedora, which I run on my notebook PC. I had pretty much the same problem, and finally punted and got it up and running on ext4. But, I want btrfs, so I punted again, because a guy on another forum told me a way he thought I could make btrfs work. But then, the USB stick I had just installed from that morning would not boot. I double checked the checksum and re-wrote the stick; it still would not boot. I re-downloaded, verified the checksum, re-wrote the USB stick, and it still would not boot. WTH?

Then, I tried Gentoo. I like Gentoo, but it is a pain in the ass. I had a good install with a good btrfs layout. But when I tried to get up a windowing system, I installed Xorg and twm, following all the instructions, carefully. startx went to a black screen. I probably could have fixed it, eventually, but I was on the third day, and I needed to get the PC up. So ...

Next, someone else convinced me to try MX Linux. It worked, flawlessly, but I did not like it. I felt like I was on a distro from 2008, Everything looked big and clunky, and the kernel was old, too.

Finally, I tried openSUSE with Gnome. It installed like a dream. btrfs is close to how I want it, and I'm working on that. I'm into my third day with it, and it is going very well.

So, what is that, five distros in three days? What a whirlwind!

#1034 2020-08-23 15:37:18

ratcheer

glittersloth wrote:
ratcheer wrote:

....and mouse (high resolution Asus gamer's mouse) for the new rig.

For some reason, I'm picturing Tim (in full beard and his 'Tim the Enchanter' t-shirt) sitting in from of a rainbow neon rig right now shouting "Arrr Peee Geee!!" into the mic of his gaming headset while playing a shooter, with a fireplace in the background. monkey

Just wondering; if you're pixel editing and retouching, wouldn't a high-precision trackball be a better fit, or are you just not comfortable using those?

Edit:
Wait, Nvidia RTX 2060? Wouldn't that be overkill? Also, why Nvidia?

smile Actually, because of the way my cables lay and hook up to my monitor, I have the neon lights turned around pretty much where I can't even see them. And, man, this case is HUGE! It is 35 inches from front to back. I have never seen anything this big outside of server host rooms. The RGB on the mouse is pretty cool, though.

I got nVidia because the only AMD cards this builder was offering were not the latest, high-performance cards. I'm happy with the nVidia, because after I installed the proprietary driver, darktable picked up on it automatically and used openCL. Now, when darktable is manipulating millions of pixels in an image, making it say "working" until it finishes, it finishes in the blink of an eye. And that was the main reason I broke down and bought a new PC to start with.

#1035 2020-08-24 02:51:22

PackRat
jgmenu user Numero Uno

Archcraft - Arch-based distro with openbox and bspwm window managers. A lot of themes and polybar themes.

archimage.png

Screenshot-2020-08-24-10-1600x900.png

runs pretty smooth in live session; change themes for window managers and polybar on the fly. Connect to network with ncurses frontend for NetworkManager.

You must unlearn what you have learned.
    -- yoda

#1036 2020-08-24 07:07:02

ohnonot
...again
Website

ratcheer wrote:

Then, I tried Gentoo. I like Gentoo, but it is a pain in the ass. I had a good install with a good btrfs layout. But when I tried to get up a windowing system, I installed Xorg and twm, following all the instructions, carefully. startx went to a black screen. I probably could have fixed it, eventually, but I was on the third day, and I needed to get the PC up. So ...

You "just tried" Gentoo? yikes
I tried it once and gave up before even getting to the first reboot. Me, who thinks ArchLinux is simple to install.
PITA doesn't begin to describe it, I have utter and complete respect for people who succeed with it or even use it.

BL quote proposals to this thread please.
how to ask smart questions | my repos / my repos | my blog
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

#1037 2020-08-24 14:26:09

Sun For Miles

Are stage 1 Gentoo installs still a thing?

Señor Chang, why do you teach Spanish?

#1038 2020-08-25 00:57:18

DeepDayze

Sun For Miles wrote:

That made me practically bang my on the wall  back in the day. Stage 1 install attempts seem to be like pulling teeth.

Real Men Use Linux

#1039 2020-08-25 01:08:28

PackRat
jgmenu user Numero Uno

Sun For Miles wrote:

Apparently it is; unless their Handbook is out of date:

While Gentoo still offers stage1 and stage2 tarballs, this official installation method uses the stage3 tarball.

You must unlearn what you have learned.
    -- yoda

#1040 2020-08-25 13:51:18

eight.bit.al

PackRat wrote:

@eight.bit.al -... InstantOS - Arch based distro

Another TilingWindowManager distro. Their InstantWM is a heavily patched dwm.

Thanks. Too colorful and animated for me. Too busy. Really been enjoying MiyoLinux wmderland (Rolling)
https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic … 04#p105004

ratcheer wrote:

Ouch! I was the ultimate distrohopper last week.

That' s a tall claim. smile  I'm sure there are distrohoppers that kick both our butts. Glad you're enjoying your new system.

PackRat wrote:

Archcraft - Arch-based distro with openbox and bspwm window managers. A lot of themes and polybar themes.

The keybindings were a mystery to me. On that list, sometimes  the A means the A key, sometimes the Alt key....

=========================================================

Welcome to Garuda Linux
https://garudalinux.in/

Arch with various desktop environments to choose from, KDE, GNOME, Xfce, Wayfire, LXQt-kwin, Deepin, i3.
Wayfire caught my eye:

garuda_01.th.pnggaruda_03.th.pnggaruda_04.th.png

Usually, the first thing to do after the install is update. Yumm, freshest packages:
garuda_02.th.png

I always like dark themes; Garuda does it well.  Even the browser is dark themed with Dark Reader.
garuda_05.th.pnggaruda_06.th.pnggaruda_07.th.png

One negative point; four different window decorations. Not likely to have those particular windows open at the same time, but...
garuda_08.th.png

Next, I tried the Xfce version:
garuda_09.th.png

The MAC OS like launcher has to go.
Never liked that style, especially the ones that bulge when moused over.
And the image & clock at the top of the conky are next. Two different style eagle heads?
garuda_10.th.png

Turn off the desktop icon layer for a right-click menu. A desktop I could live with:
garuda_11.th.pngScreenshot_2020-08-25_08-48-12.th.png

8bit

Last edited by eight.bit.al (2020-08-25 14:03:35)

The more I see of the moneyed classes, the more I understand the guillotine. -  George Bernard Shaw

#1041 2020-08-25 21:16:25

Sun For Miles

DeepDayze wrote:

That made me practically bang my on the wall  back in the day. Stage 1 install attempts seem to be like pulling teeth.

I was banging my head until the wall cracked and I was rewarded with sweet 14h compile times for desktop environment. Literally everything Linux related after messing with Gentoo stage 1 seemed like a casual endeavaor.

Señor Chang, why do you teach Spanish?

#1042 2020-08-26 19:03:52

DeepDayze

Sun For Miles wrote:
DeepDayze wrote:

I was banging my head until the wall cracked and I was rewarded with sweet 14h compile times for desktop environment. Literally everything Linux related after messing with Gentoo stage 1 seemed like a casual endeavaor.

Oh the joys of Linux masochists!

Real Men Use Linux

#1043 2020-09-09 04:42:10

johnraff
nullglob
Website

DeepDayze wrote:

I am so tempted to try a Devuan base and using the BL netinstall script to see if I can whip up a systemd-less BL smile

The Lithium netinstall script now works.

It's supposed to be modular and easy to customize, but apart from its original use with CrunchBang that's never been tested, so I'd be happy to try to help if you want to tweak it to install something other than Lithium BL.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#1044 2020-09-09 18:22:42

ratcheer

I didn't get along so well with openSUSE. I'm back to Arch Linux, now.

#1045 2020-09-09 19:55:30

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

ratcheer wrote:

I didn't get along so well with openSUSE. I'm back to Arch Linux, now.

Yes, those "open"  relationships can be rough.
lol  lol  lol  lol

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

#1046 2020-09-09 21:00:06

hhh
Meep!
Website

Mabox Linux (Manjaro Openbox, based on BunsenLabs...)

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic … 97#p106197

https://maboxlinux.org/

#1047 2020-09-10 02:26:39

DeepDayze

johnraff wrote:
DeepDayze wrote:

The Lithium netinstall script now works.

It's supposed to be modular and easy to customize, but apart from its original use with CrunchBang that's never been tested, so I'd be happy to try to help if you want to tweak it to install something other than Lithium BL.

Sounds good. When I got some time may try it in a VM.

Real Men Use Linux

#1048 2020-09-12 01:03:17

ratcheer

Ok. openSUSE was a software fiasco. The main OS was very nice, but I just could not get the application software I want. As an example, Pulse Effects is two versions behind. They said they could not upgrade it because two other pieces of software have to be upgraded before they can. But Arch Linux has all the correct components together.

So, I'm happy to be back on Arch Linux with the awesome wm.

PS - Sorry. I didn't know I had already posted about this.

Last edited by ratcheer (2020-09-12 01:04:47)

#1049 2020-09-12 15:50:40

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

@ ratcheer

No sorry needed, here you explained a bit more.  And that's worth the second post.

Last edited by Sector11 (2020-09-12 15:51:14)

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

Board footer